M20F CheckList

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 1966 M20F and prepared this checklist by taking information from the original 1967 POH, 1968 POH and for emergency
M20J POH.

I also add a couple of tables which computes the different speed vs weight.

All speeds given in MPH 

Andrea

M20F_CheckListV2.docx

Edited by Ventus4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ventus4 said:

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 1966 M20F and prepared this checklist by taking information from the original 1967 POH, 1968 POH and for emergency
M20J POH.

All speeds given in MPH 

Andrea

M20F_CheckListV2.docx 117.31 kB · 4 downloads

That's the best way to do it. I wrote my own checklist from my Owners Manual, and may borrow some / most of your Emergency procedures, as the Emergency page in my Owners Manual is pretty sparse . . . . And yes, I have a 1975 Manual, too, it's not much different.

Sounds like the way to go. I've been writing my own checklists since I was a student pilot. 

One comment for thought about checklists in general, not about your checklist specifically.

The biggest problem I see with pilots and checklists is clutter. An effort to include everything and make it all fit on one sheet of paper. It makes for a great looking checklist, but one which, except perhaps for pre-takeoff ground ops, sits in a side pocket and does not get used. A personalized checklist is for you. It should fit your needs. Nobody else needs to use it.

i flew with a friend in a rental. The FBO checklist was missing, so my friend asked for mine. Mine is so condensed it was meaningless to him. That's OK.

• Like 1

Your starts are not right.

Cold

Throttle 1 inch

Fuel pump on

Mixture full forward

count to 6

Mixture off

pump off

crank

when pops mixture to about half then back to 1/3  depends on temp

Hot/warm

Shut down with mixture at 1100rpm

master on.

don't touch anything

crank

when pops mixture to half

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ventus4 said:

Hi everyone,

M20J POH.

All speeds given in MPH 

Andrea

M20F_CheckListV2.docx 117.31 kB · 20 downloads

Typo...Vfe should be 125 not 105.

Nice clean list.  May borrow.

One idea.....

A checklist is not a 'do' list for commonly done items (walkaround inspection, start, stop, runup). Memorize these. Or maybe make them separate and file them once you have everything memorized and you are proficient. Your checklist will then grow to be much, much smaller, and contain only the most critical things that you might want to double-check you've done.

Save the read-and-do stuff for emergency items that are seldom done in case you forget something.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Immelman said:

One idea.....

A checklist is not a 'do' list for commonly done items (walkaround inspection, start, stop, runup). Memorize these. Or maybe make them separate and file them once you have everything memorized and you are proficient. Your checklist will then grow to be much, much smaller, and contain only the most critical things that you might want to double-check you've done.

Save the read-and-do stuff for emergency items that are seldom done in case you forget something.

+1. 
Posted like an airline pilot- which I suspect you are. 

3 hours ago, Ventus4 said:

Well I took the procedure from the manual I try to NOT INVENT ANYTHING so please explain what's wrong. Thank you

Nothing is being invented.  This was given to me by my transition instructor after I put the plane back in the hangar after not being able to start it using the book.   You can look around here for hot start threads

Edited by Yetti

5 hours ago, Yetti said:

Nothing is being invented.  This was given to me by my transition instructor after I put the plane back in the hangar after not being able to start it using the book.   You can look around here for hot start threads

Dear mooniacs,
Thank you for all suggestions.

I wish to strictly adhere to the 1967 POH it comes with the plane and this is the reason of potential discrepancies  you may have between your practice or your specific POH  and the CL content. 

The intent was to make it a  public relatively complete CL for the 1967 Executive M20F without ANY mods because the original POH lacks of modern CL template and lacks of emergency parts.
(I integrate the list with what it was missing and verify that its various steps were in logical order respect the controls/switches position.)

The reason I decide to make this public is to try to give something back to the community after being  looking for sometimes and not find anything.

Initially I was doing as suggested to split the lists in parts, but at the end I decide to put them in a single word file that everyone can modify at will. However if you notice  when printed doubled face you will ends up having 3 simple sheets: 1 Preflight,2 Flight,3 Emergency. Thus you may device to bind them together or use  just only one depending on the situation. 

Any other suggestions  is more than welcome. The idea is to come up with a community verified  better check list for the model.

Thank you all

Andrea

I have mine fitted into 2 pages, so only 1 sheet to deal with. I customized it from standard POH.
Examples are:
Removed Ram air, because I removed it.
Add “fuel receipt” to beginning of hot start procedure.
Check emergency release on the landing gear
I removed “turn and push ignition key to start” ...I figure I won’t forget that, if I do I will figure it out, if not, I shouldn’t be flying.

Tom

• Haha 1

Myn checklist is printed in landscape format, using Booklet layout. My single-sided printer ran the papers through twice, printing on both sides. Then i folded it 8n half and sewed down the middle. Your word processor Help screens will tell you how to do this; the sewing is done simply by hand, look up "pamphlet stitch," it should take about 5 minutes including getting out needle, thread and scissors, then putting everything away.

Since each sheet of paper becomes 4 small pages, there is a lot of room for things like Emergency Procedures, V speeds and even Performance Charts to be added in.

3 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I have mine fitted into 2 pages, so only 1 sheet to deal with. I customized it from standard POH.
Examples are:
Removed Ram air, because I removed it.
Add “fuel receipt” to beginning of hot start procedure.
Check emergency release on the landing gear
I removed “turn and push ignition key to start” ...I figure I won’t forget that, if I do I will figure it out, if not, I shouldn’t be flying.

Tom

Love it. That's a lot of what I do with mine. I also removed pushing the throttle in for takeoff.

I've also moved things around a bit, matching checklist to flow, and stuff like moving "controls free and correct" to before engine start (I never could figure out why I would want to taxi a few miles before checking that).

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Myn checklist is printed in landscape format, using Booklet layout. My single-sided printer ran the papers through twice, printing on both sides. Then i folded it 8n half and sewed down the middle. Your word processor Help screens will tell you how to do this; the sewing is done simply by hand, look up "pamphlet stitch," it should take about 5 minutes including getting out needle, thread and scissors, then putting everything away.

Since each sheet of paper becomes 4 small pages, there is a lot of room for things like Emergency Procedures, V speeds and even Performance Charts to be added in.

Been using these from PDI Pueblo to hold my checklists from for at least 25 years. Of course with checklists for a dozen different makes and models, I don't have the luxury of a fancy sewn binding ;) 

image.png.6cd1b88c348b335c05e34d878e61f251.png

a6869207d8d02e44b476bedb22cd7ff0.jpg

The OP just got a new plane so I understand the focus on checklists, but for those who have owned for a while, only fly your own plane, and fly regularly, how much are you REALLY using a checklist? I have mine with me all the time but it never changes, there’s almost zero reason for me to ever look at it at this point if I don’t know how to start my plane I probably shouldn’t be flying it. Now when I was renting, flying different planes, 100% checklist usage. Now? Strictly for reviewing emergency procedures.

There, I said it. Checklists? C’mon, man!

You should use at least a short checklist before every take off and every landing. My father owned the same airplane for 30 years, and there was never a time he did not use a checklist.  It was short but covered the essentials.  Same as the one printed on my Mooney. Follow it, and you eliminate many opportunities to ruin your whole day. 

• Like 1

Eman,

We have a few choices...

Did you really want to say... ‘real pilots don’t use check lists...’  that can set us back decades.

Or did you mean... you have done this so many times, you have it memorized?

Some checklists are more complex than others... some pilot’s memory is not as strong as others...

Some pilots have real word things weighing on their minds...

Following the logic you have written... we shouldn’t have any GU landings... but we still do...

Find the threads where many complain ‘you raised my insurance rate’ why didn’t you use a check list...?

So...

Around here people use a check list... 

Often after following a flow...

It is not a to do list...

it is not a how to list...

It is not a crutch...

When I was young, I thought check lists were for inferior pilots... just used for training...

The older I got the more obvious cognitive errors, like distraction are understood...

Lastly, Everyone that wants to avoid cognitive errors uses a check list...

Is that what you meant?   :)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Eman,

...Did you really want to say... ‘real pilots don’t use check lists...’  that can set us back decades. - no, that's silly.  plus if that's what I meant to say, I would have said it.

Or did you mean... you have done this so many times, you have it memorized? - sort of, yes.

Some checklists are more complex than others... - fair enough.  some pilot’s memory is not as strong as others... - maybe they shouldn't be flying?

Some pilots have real word things weighing on their minds... - they definitely shouldn't be flying.  I'm pretty sure there's a checklist for "should I be flying" (IM SAFE, etc...), are they using THAT checklist?  that's another checklist I don't feel obligated to use.  I KNOW that if I'm tired, on meds, etc, I'm not flying.  no written checklist needed for that.

Following the logic you have written... we shouldn’t have any GU landings... but we still do... - not EXACTLY what I'm saying, but sort of.  your plane is a retract.  it was a retract yesterday when you flew it.  it'll be a retract tomorrow when you fly it.  the gear ALWAYS goes down, you shouldn't NEED a piece of paper to tell you to do it.

Find the threads where many complain ‘you raised my insurance rate’ why didn’t you use a check list...?

So...

Around here people use a check list... - "around here", okay.  I'm not saying it's bad to use a checklist, I always have my checklist with me and under circumstances where I feel I should reference it, I do.  but not because "around here my cfi said to use a checklist so I do", and certainly not because "I have real world things on my mind and even though I shouldn't be flying, I'll use a checklist and everything will be fine"

Often after following a flow...

It is not a to do list...

it is not a how to list...

It is not a crutch...

When I was young, I thought check lists were for inferior pilots... just used for training... - that's a shame that you ever thought that.

The older I got the more obvious cognitive errors, like distraction are understood... - agree, distractions are a great time to use a checklist

Lastly, Everyone that wants to avoid cognitive errors uses a check list... - you avoid that by knowing your plane inside and out, knowing the systems and how they all work.  that's more my point.  know HOW to fly your plane so that you only REFERENCE a checklist, not USE it to fly your plane.

Is that what you meant?   :)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, Ventus4 said:

I wish to strictly adhere to the 1967 POH it comes with the plane

I understand your thinking being new to the plane and wanting to strictly adhere to the POH.  However, you will find that there are often better ways of doing things than what is in the POH and that sometimes the POH is just flat out wrong.  For instance, the POH says as soon as the airplane is airborne and under good control, press the brakes, retract the gear, and reduce RPM to 2550 - 2600.  Is it really a good idea to reduce RPM and thus power as soon as the airplane is airborne?

Similarly, the fuel management guidelines in the POH are downright deadly.  It says to take off with both tanks full, run one tank for an hour, start a timer and run the other tank dry.  Remaining fuel is the time it took to run the second tank dry minus one hour.  Good luck with that!

For a really long thread, try convincing everyone on here that best economy (25 degrees ROP) as described by the POH is really the best setting for the most economical flight.

I won't attempt to tell you how to run your plane, but read a lot, learn a lot, and make good decisions.  All the info you need (and a lot you don't need) can all be found on Mooney Space!

• Like 2