G5 showing 10deg bank

201Steve

Hey guys, so I was flying today on a short hop home and had my Garmin G5 showing 10 degrees bank to the left while my vacuum driven AI and the visual horizon itself was reading straight and level. I had the Century ii on a heading bug, and the conditions were quite gusty, so I initially thought it might be banking into a Xwind a little, so I changed direction a little bit and moved around some, and same thing. After I landed, it was showing a very slight left bank on the ground. I turned the unit off and back on again and it seemed to recalibrate correctly. Anyone have experience with this? It was very annoying, during my instrument scan and essentially had to ignore it on approach. No big deal in VMC, but jeez, no bueno if the conditions are imc. Thanks for any input. I did have one thought, I cranked and taxied a little quicker than normal, since I only stopped briefly for lunch. It’s probably not the reason, but I thought maybe I started taxiing before it finished calibrating and it stayed jinxed up. Anyway, fire away. Thanks

1) what software version are you using? Pre 2.6* there was a issue with the algorithm where vibration / turbulence could result in a slight bank / erroneous 

2) 95% of these issues outside that software versioning have to do with the calibration  procedure having not been done properly when the original installation was done.  

3) rarely the AI would show a degraded mode if GPS aiding was not available.  

4) enable logging /debugging if the issue persists. 

5) Your rigging is correct? If flying in a skid an AHRS derived AI can show a lean.  I haven’t heard about this with G5’s, only have seen it with portable devices so chock this one up to theoretical only. 

Check the software version and verify that the calibration procedure was done according to the STC (should be written down in the AFMS).  Then go from there.  

Edit: looks like it was software version 2.6 as per below. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bradp said:

1) what software version are you using? Pre 2.6* there was a issue with the algorithm where vibration / turbulence could result in a slight bank / erroneous 

2) 95% of these issues outside that software versioning have to do with the calibration  procedure having not been done properly when the original installation was done.  

3) rarely the AI would show a degraded mode if GPS aiding was not available.  

4) enable logging /debugging if the issue persists. 

5) Your rigging is correct? If flying in a skid an AHRS derived AI can show a lean.  I haven’t heard about this with G5’s, only have seen it with portable devices so chock this one up to theoretical only. 

Check the software version and verify that the calibration procedure was done according to the STC (should be written down in the AFMS).  Then go from there.  

Edit: looks like it was software version 2.6 as per below. 

@bradp thank you for the helpful info. I believe the software is v2.4 if I recall correctly so there ya go... 

I’ll have to look into the install calibration.  it came with plane, now have 150 hours with it and this is the first time I’ve suspected an error.

thanks again, great feedback

3 hours ago, bradp said:

No software updates without need for recalibration unless the original calibration wasn’t done to spec.  In that latter case, the calibration would need to be redone 

Roger that, I just came out of the hangar. Update is done. Easy peezy. From here on, I won't wait 9 versions later to keep it up to date.... Thanks for the help!