Factory Closed Down?

chinoguym20

yesterday, the employees were all given a one week furlough. They were told to report back to work a week from Monday. I had to cancel a flight to there next week yesterday, and there will be "others" at the factory. I did not post anything as this really isn't my place to speculate or comment yet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Just now, 1980Mooney said:

Think about the timing....supposedly only temporarily closing the factory for one week so that they can open back up for a few days before closing again for the Thanksgiving holiday?  Really??   Perhaps the Chinese owners were trying to make this appear believable that it is only temporary but "somehow" they forgot that Thanksgiving is an American tradition and major holiday.  Sadly I fear this will be a long shutdown (again). This could be really bad news for anyone with anything newer than a J model.

I suspect you are absolutely right.

But hoping...that they are simply trying to balance the work force against the current orders and that one week furlough is simply that, reflecting they have more personal than orders to fill at the moment.  Still not good but perhaps not that they are currently about to close down immediately.

I wonder how labor vs. raw materials/out-sourced parts vs. interior vs. avionics breaks down.  Maybe Mooney could build 'green' airplanes (airworthy) and owners could fly them to their interior and avionics shops as they see fit.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

I wonder how labor vs. raw materials/out-sourced parts vs. interior vs. avionics breaks down.  Maybe Mooney could build 'green' airplanes (airworthy) and owners could fly them to their interior and avionics shops as they see fit.

Mooney's in house upholstery shop can probably produce an interior for as low of an internal cost as any shop since the people working there have only done Mooneys for years. Their interior shop could do upgrades for existing owners and make a good profit - but they have never really promoted that well. Currently the company doesn't seem to have any clear direction.

28 minutes ago, 1980Mooney said:

The J model had the highest production run and the existing fleet is the largest.

According to the Wikipedia Oracle, more C models were built than any other.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooney_M20

Far more pre-J aircraft were built than all the J and later models combined.   The “center of mass” for Mooney production is about 1972. 

• Like 3

This is why I bought everything I thought I might need, such as my Charlie weights. 
@FloridaMan would you please share your list of parts you purchased? I was just talking with my wife about buying critical items if the factory reopens briefly...

Others, what would you include in your factory only critical parts list?

Alex

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Pretty much just the Charlie weights for the tail (m20k) and I did the same with purchasing the max gross STC from Rocket. I didn’t care to get either right away, but I’m a firm believer in making hay while the sun shines when there’s a chance something will go offline. 

• Like 2

I’ve been looking at J’s and I’m wondering if I should put my search on hold until this factory situation unfolds? For the sake of the employees and Mooney owners I sure hope this works out. But considering this won’t be the first time Mooney has been faced with this it makes me question if this brand is the best long term purchase? Unquestionably these airplanes are the best bang for the buck and their following is second to none, but I’d hate for such a large investment becoming obsolete in 10 years because of lack of parts? Shoot away..

4 minutes ago, Ken4741 said:

I’ve been looking at J’s and I’m wondering if I should put my search on hold until this factory situation unfolds? For the sake of the employees and Mooney owners I sure hope this works out. But considering this won’t be the first time Mooney has been faced with this it makes me question if this brand is the best long term purchase? Unquestionably these airplanes are the best bang for the buck and their following is second to none, but I’d hate for such a large investment becoming obsolete in 10 years because of lack of parts? Shoot away..

IMHO it shouldn't make any difference in your search, timeline, or plans, but that's just me.   It's pretty rare for J's to need parts from the factory, in my observation, anyway, and even if the factory were completely abandoned, somebody may come buy the assets for pennies on the dollar and sell parts and make airplanes again or whatever.    There are quite a few makes and models of airplanes out there that don't have factories any more, and factories/brands/etc., change hands with fair regularity.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

IMHO it shouldn't make any difference in your search, timeline, or plans, but that's just me.   It's pretty rare for J's to need parts from the factory, in my observation, anyway, and even if the factory were completely abandoned, somebody may come buy the assets for pennies on the dollar and sell parts and make airplanes again or whatever.    There are quite a few makes and models of airplanes out there that don't have factories any more, and factories/brands/etc., change hands with fair regularity.

Hopefully you’re right.  I needed a trim tube for my F a couple years ago after it wore through the phenolic blocks.  Factory was the only place to get it and they had to make me a new one.  You never know what you need until you need it.

I’m sure there are used parts out there on scrapyard airplanes, but having the ability to make new parts once in a while is definitely a plus.

• Like 1

I don't think the problem is selling airplanes. And that is a surprise to me. But evidently, according to a few guys out there selling new Mooneys, they are selling everything available. The problem seems to be that they can't make them fast enough. When everything is done by hand and they can only produce 6 airplanes in a year, the numbers don't add up. 

• Like 4

Here's a wild idea:  Crowdfund a group of investors to buy Mooney (both owners and others with thick stomach linings).  Keep the minimum high enough (50K?) to allow for an incentive to Mooney owners who invest - all parts and labor at cost plus 15 or 20%, modest discount (5-10%) on a new Mooney.  Appoint a board to run the company in a manner that places current owners' needs at a high priority and allows for innovative exploration of new revenue opportunities (builder assist, re-start of the M10, streamlining manufacturing where feasible, etc. 

I nominate @mike_elliott to represent the owners!  

From my post, you can see why I should keep my day job :-).

Alex

• Like 4

I hope the factory is just down for the week.  If not that then the Phoenix rises again.

But - if we do become orphaned - doesn't the FAA have some kind of orphaned rule if I remember right that lets us "owner" produce or source in kind parts if the make is orphaned?  Seems like there is very little on our airplanes that couldn't be built if a salvage part isn't available - and on that regard - sadly there will just be more salvage available as time goes on.

But facing reality - 10 and 20 years is surely the longest horizon that avgas will be available. Or even some replacement.  Eventually we will all be flying octocopters.  I cannot image internal combustion engines - even in cars - will even have any kind of fuel available in 30 years.  These airplanes will just be for collectors in Jay Leno's garage.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1