Factory Closed Down?

chinoguym20

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

Eric,

you are driving a straight line through there consistently!

Nailing the Apex!

We have a few MSers with serious track experience...

There is a video around here of Andy Pilgrim driving an MSer’s Corvette around a good road course...

Fuzzy old MS memories...

Best regards,

-a-

2009 BMW 335i at VIR.   I was braking early because the pedal wasn’t as firm as it should be. Turns out the rear brakes were completely worn out. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

back in the day...Mooney L drivers would be amazed at the engine similarity.

Porsche 906.jpg

Mike.  I’m going to boldly assume that’s the car you raced!

Super interesting!  

Thread drift indeed.  Maybe some other time and place, I’d enjoy hearing your stories.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Mike.  I’m going to boldly assume that’s the car you raced!

Super interesting!  

Thread drift indeed.  Maybe some other time and place, I’d enjoy hearing your stories.

You got it Mitch..here is the Datsun I raced during the 1976 CSPRRC (National championships SCCA Road Atlanta)

wXK4kSWqxkLzgXvPrt8q18L2lodsgkq0NypjU7EocGUMgNV47YrnDedPXMFKYSZaSjyCZzNkWbdheIjgmJbF-LQAFdplFoG9x2ePymy7cT-tfJeS9VzTXIHS3A3DSI8HnzBfuQXsEDrws4mIW_u34WmM3oYm1eq_CGAx-RNSaZcPaFsFT-on0fyFoEBf-H8GGG8QybU5LhZmvuGIX0JA85nck8WTDG7reMyPDDG8teq2uHdEBABxZQryJeKvjVJAhiN2XHU3g5RA5u1PV6eAdgEV79TmfdMT5r1zOmXAsxsTVgpPfVX8-9QW3bANgyJiWOe4qjN2s1U7dg8rQL84r5V_d4sBtO3VQEzqiNgcB6JHZFuskNvBoOTL66BCagdPKESAWo5bl1v4G1yWy0U-1J4WAuFRFjSZk8Dgx_tqkNEJfbSOPlPL62Bl9lwusAZM4bSrTsat3Y31GD8xRI6ou5AZr8iK9TKVHy0Cf2yHfdynAPFnei7d6etRYdeqajkNAzSRXUGro_qULvs3FSGeqQjgA8_oTp5IhjZk3xEJy--tqX-UjuurW65YgmJfFl7MmoV-4yqmAIquWObZb5-qzjOlhKDuvABMHG09aIIKM3jC8yBE6woq7ejF_Nsn4R3I-T388Q1K2Ue6sPaZgKhozbJj0ZLwyn3RL93p91IZp3LkpMRvfhbnW5ia6y1kVw=w715-h953-no?authuser=0

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

You got it Mitch..here is the Datsun I raced during the 1976 CSPRRC (National championships SCCA Road Atlanta)

Small world mike I ran SCCA in late 60’s to 1974 or so ran a tricked out Datsun 2000 then early Z car, lower class Datsun 210 

1 hour ago, Danb said:

I started in a Datsun 1600 at Mosport Park in Canada, you could get a Competition license at a younger age up there in '71, and I couldnt wait the extra year to start pumping money into racing. Your probably intimately familiar with Bob Sharp then, and of course PL Newman. I gave Bob the engineering fix to keep the long timing chain from jumping a tooth on the Datsun 2L engine when the tensioner sucked air

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cliffy said:

MGs ? Datsuns ? wheezing little hamsters compared to the throaty roar of a 65 vette!    :-) :-)

Had a kid in my high school (Mid 60s) who's Dad bought him a new AC Cobra that he drove to school every day. 

Cliff my straight line cars were mopars, try to dump one in a corner you’d be lucky not to roll it up. Cobra. A real bitchin machine.

Just now, Danb said:

Cliff my straight line cars were mopars, try to dump one in a corner you’d be lucky not to roll it up. Cobra. A real bitchin machine.

In fact, Pete Brock who really was the brains behind the Cobra, especially their Daytona effort, went on to form Brock Racing Enterprises when Shelby did him wrong, which was Datsun's west coast effort. John Morton, Don Devendorf, Trevor Harris, Mac Tilton and a bunch of "hot rodders" turned tuners really built the performance image Datsun needed to grab market share.

• Like 2

Boy mike your bringing back a lot of forgotten memories Paul Newman brought light to the 1600/2000 Fairladys I think he started his racing career in a 1600 or 2000. This brought a lot of recognition to Datsun, prior the little 210,s were tearing up badder machines

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Missile=Awesome said:

They are faster, but YES driver matters...a lot.

So do tires.  ;) Both of those guys are actually good drivers, but I was on serious, reasonably fresh, race tires and  they were both on street tires.   The cars were all pretty stock, too.   All I ever did to that Focus, to keep it in the class it was in, was tires and brake pads.   It was one of the best balanced factory suspensions I think I've driven on a track.   Still pretty soft, but very well balanced.

I've got a ton more vids of catching up and passing Porsches in unexpected cars, like Miatas, Ford Taurii, an E36 328i BMW (non-M) with a stock engine, and an actual wtw race in a Spec Rx-7 (first gen, stock engine) against a Porsche 944 (he did actually beat me, I kept catching up in the back field twisties, and we'd go down the front straight together until I hit 4th gear, then he just walked away, I'd catch up again, repeat repeat repeat).  ;)

Much fun.   I got back into aviation partly because a bunch of the guys I race with are aviators.   

• Like 3

Just now, EricJ said:

So do tires.  ;) Both of those guys are actually good drivers, but I was on serious, reasonably fresh, race tires and  they were both on street tires.   The cars were all pretty stock, too.   All I ever did to that Focus, to keep it in the class it was in, was tires and brake pads.   It was one of the best balanced factory suspensions I think I've driven on a track.   Still pretty soft, but very well balanced.

I've got a ton more vids of catching up and passing Porsches in unexpected cars, like Miatas, Ford Taurii, an E36 328i BMW (non-M) with a stock engine, and an actual wtw race in a Spec Rx-7 (first gen, stock engine) against a Porsche 944 (he did actually beat me, I kept catching up in the back field twisties, and we'd go down the front straight together until I hit 4th gear, then he just walked away, I'd catch up again, repeat repeat repeat).  ;)

Much fun.   I got back into aviation partly because a bunch of the guys I race with are aviators.   

The SCCA was huge in the 60’s after 1980 it started to vanish., our SCCA clubs in the northeast are basically gone, we had a few hundred members now the club is gone 

Just now, Danb said:

The SCCA was huge in the 60’s after 1980 it started to vanish., our SCCA clubs in the northeast are basically gone, we had a few hundred members now the club is gone 

They actually went bankrupt here in AZ a long time ago (ten years at least, iirc?), and are only just now kind of trying a sputtery restart.  I race mostly with NASA, but right now everything is pretty shut down.   I skipped the last few events, but I think future events are pretty TBD for a while.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blue on Top said:

Then we present reams of data to the FAA that looks for errors (and typos and improper grammar) in our reports. 

That’s funny, I’m submitting an AIP (Approved Inspection Program) so I don’t have to do annuals any more. I thought I had this document perfect. A week later the inspector sent back a list of spelling and grammar errors. 

If you ever want anything proof read, send it to the FAA!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

That’s funny, I’m submitting an AIP (Approved Inspection Program) so I don’t have to do annuals any more. I thought I had this document perfect. A week later the inspector sent back a list of spelling and grammar errors. 

If you ever want anything proof read, send it to the FAA!

No, that’s funny because I spot stuff all the time in FAA docs

• Like 1

My vette was a 327  350hp hyd lifter engine (solid lifters got 15 more HP)   Numbers matched all around and it had the proper  "flower petal" pop rivets on the S/N. 

Would have needed some work for corners but straight line it was nice. 

• Like 1

Man, you guys have some serious racing credentials.  I thought about motorcycle racing when I was young and foolish........................decided not.............too late now cause I'm old and foolish!!  :lol: Enjoy your videos and your stories though............:)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

You might see these on the road...

This was taken 9/1/2019

Somewhere between NJ and ME....

from my iPhone...

-a-

514FA244-0B43-466E-9814-48FA7AD9627A.jpeg

The oldest in my car club is a 1959 MG-A, the owner's daily driver (when it's not raining).

• Like 1

There’s a common note among a lot of Mooney drivers, there ventures in fast other ,Oporto sports, from the 1960’s to now, makes sense our choice of planes. We’ve got motor head straight line brute speed, road racing, drag strippers, road rally enthusiasts, high end sports cars, Porsche’s ,AMG Benz, AC Cobras, hot Vettes, BMW assuming M models, Tesla’s silent force. Wow could we put together a car and plane show. The Summit would look cool with the array of car geeks Motörhead’s we’ll even invite Erik and the bike racers.

• Like 2