Low cost de-cing

Gagarin

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:
  8 hours ago, Gagarin said:

Just don't fly into known icing but into not known icing conditions like an ignorant.;)

I think what he meant was:

As we know, there are known ICING; there are ICING we know we know. We also know there are ICING unknowns; that is to say we know there are some ICING we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ICING we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our FLYING and other FLYING countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Agreed, like I have on my windscreen in the Volvo.  I dont understand why this has not been certified yet as a de icing solution, not fiki, but as a life saver.  Id buy it in a heart beat.  

I know this thread is just plain fun (clever, get it?) but to revert to my EE life for a moment—do the arithmetic to estimate how many watts of electric power you’d need to thaw ice off a hundred square feet of aluminum in a 200 mph airflow at -5C.  
Maybe buy a surplus APU from an Airbus 320.  90,000 watts electric output. Might do it. I’ll check eBay. 
When you don’t need it to deice the wings the APU can drive an electric motor attached to my M20C O-360 crankshaft for some extra thrust.   Let’s see, 90,000 watts is around 120hp, a nice boost.  
With an extra 120 hp my old C would cruise about as fast as the average Mooneyspace C.  Not as fast as an E, of course. 

9467E19F-8C53-4B91-B51F-DF389658766E.thumb.jpeg.4ac7c62cb0163a291956be3729b5a099.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Gagarin said:

Looks impressive. Where do you buy it?

I’ve just seen it before and don’t know anymore about the product.  

The best test for these products might be on a ski slope involving varying temperatures and a cross section of a wing.  A snow machine might test beyond any condition we would run into. Don’t listen to me though I’ve had ideas before but we won’t go into that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, INA201 said:

I’ve just seen it before and don’t know anymore about the product.  

The best test for these products might be on a ski slope involving varying temperatures and a cross section of a wing.  A snow machine might test beyond any condition we would run into. Don’t listen to me though I’ve had ideas before but we won’t go into that. 

No, NASA has you covered. Just go rent this bad boy:

https://www1.grc.nasa.gov/facilities/irt/

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

No, NASA has you covered. Just go rent this bad boy:

https://www1.grc.nasa.gov/facilities/irt/

Great facility!  
Think I’ll write a grant proposal to evaluate the relative efficacy of WD-40, ice-off, Rain-X and PUDS (pilot urine delivery systems) on ice formation on low-sweepback airfoils.  
Alan, please cut me a 3-4 foot chunk of wing section out of your next vivisection subject.  Spar corrosion optional. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/8/2019 at 6:05 PM, jetdriven said:

Here we go again.   

It’s a special formulation of piss, WD40 and the stuff you can’t sump out of Monroy equipped Mooney fuel tanks.

Clarence

17 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Agreed, like I have on my windscreen in the Volvo.  I dont understand why this has not been certified yet as a de icing solution, not fiki, but as a life saver.  Id buy it in a heart beat.  

Apparently they beat us to it. Already STC'd for the Columbia and soon for the SR22? https://egcgraphite.com/de-icing-systems/

This makes me want to cross the line to experimental so I can tinker with my own solid-state solution. 

On 11/8/2019 at 4:15 PM, ArtVandelay said:

I would not call it a FIKI solution.

I wouldn’t call anything a true FIKI solution.... other than maybe afterburners!

legal on the other hand....that’s a whole different story! Yeah.... seems like a bad idea....

WD-40 on ice application

Break the Morning Frost Build-Up on Windows

Do you live in a country with a cold climate or does the weather forecast predict a winter snowstorm? You cannot stop the snowstorm from coming, but you can definitely prevent the snow or frost build-up on your windows, car mirrors, doors, and locks. Just spray a coat of WD-40 on it before the snow storm is about to come, and the frost won’t stick on it

/life-hacks/wd-40-40-amazing-ways-to-use-it-so-you-can-be-like-macgyver/img/macgyver14MobileImageSizeReigNN.jpg

source: science101.com

If there is a frost build-up, spray some WD-40 on windows, let it sit, and the frost will automatically melt away. Later, a wipe or two will wipe away the existing ice. This approach may seem tedious, but it’s worth it.

WD-40 History

It was written up as a new consumer product in 1961.[8] By 1965 it was being used by airlines including Delta and United; United, for example, was using it on fixed and movable joints of their DC-8 and Boeing 720s in maintenance and overhaul.[9] At that time, airlines were using a variant called WD-60 to clean turbines, removing light rust from control lines, and when handling or storing metal parts.[9] By 1969 WD-40 was being marketed to farmers and mechanics in England.[10] In 1973, WD-40 Company, Inc., went public with its first stock offering. Its NASDAQ stock symbol is (NASDAQWDFC).[11]In 2014, WD-40 was inducted into the International Air & Space Hall of Fame at the San Diego Air & Space Museum.[12]

Edited by Gagarin