Low cost de-cing

Gagarin

18 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

OK, Who's the first test pilot to give it a go?  

Leave the last foot of the wing unprotected and shoot us a picture of like 2" of ice on the unprotected wing and the rest clean.

I have tested it in Florida on my hangar refrigerator and so far no ice sticking on the wet surfaces. Will try it on my next trip to KAGC.

• Like 1

The fundamental problem seems to be that anything that will shed ice won’t stick to the wing to start with. Same problem they have with getting Teflon to stick to the pan (I think they bake it on).

Maybe glue a wick to the leading edge and light it in the cockpit and it will melt the ice as it goes. One time use only. Or better yet detcord.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, John Myers said:

The fundamental problem seems to be that anything that will shed ice won’t stick to the wing to start with. Same problem they have with getting Teflon to stick to the pan (I think they bake it on).

Maybe glue a wick to the leading edge and light it in the cockpit and it will melt the ice as it goes. One time use only. Or better yet detcord.

Detcord?

That might actually work!

A one shot emergency get out of jail free card. 

You could put a tiny thread like detcord under a piece of leading edge tape.

These guys look like they could make it!

https://psemc.com/products/shielded-mild-detonating-cord/

Looks like it has already been tried!

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2930554A/en

Lets see if Mooneyspace deletes the name?

Eric Ciaramella

• Like 1

I should have had that coming back from Phoenix to MN non-stop this past Wed. It was -10c and I still can’t believe how much and how quickly accumulated. If it was -5f I wouldn’t have went into the clouds. So not to proud I got into the crap but I sure as hell did something about it like “RIGHT NOW”! I’m starting to think about selling my J for a TKS equipped turbo.

Anyhow pretty cool that a J can cruise from PHX to RST (Rochester MN) non stop at FL190 and theoretically land with 2 hours of fuel left! Unfortunately the ice made me divert, as I was almost home. It ran across my mind this is how a accident happens, long flight so close to home.....get out of this crap. c900339329fff7020f8414ea0b5e2ed9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 8

Wasn’t there an STC to use the pilot relief tube to evenly distribute warm urine across the leading edge of a wing to melt the ice? I know when my dog used to pee in the snow it seemed to melt pretty quickly so I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t work. Seems like you would just need a couple of bottles of Gatorade and you could get at least a few “shots” of deicing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Well, FIKI = flight INTO known icing.   Does not say that you will fly OUT....

Looks cheaper than ICE-X.    I’ll have to check and see if it is safe for rubber boots.

For the TKS, guys -those of us with boots have the joy of buying really expensive slippery stuff to help the boots shed ice.  But it does need to be reapplied after flying in the rain or in any flight that it would actually need to be used.   But a plus is that it makes the boots nice and shiny. 

And I still carry a garden sprayer filled will TKS in the plane with me.  That way I can De-Ice myself on the ground for those quick turns that require a quick up and down through icing in the winter.

bradb

former acclaim

Meridian N951TB

• Like 1

I would have thought that the thin layer electric leading edge solutions would have picked up popularity and lead to cheaper costs. Imagine getting a non-FIKI electric leading edge wrap that could save your bacon for less than a few grand. Incorporate the alternator solution that fits where a mag used to be, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

So...DuPont website doesn’t mention use on Mooneys....

It does mention automotive under carriages...

And clearly says don’t use it on windows...

http://www.performancelubricantsusa.com/product/snow-and-ice-repellent.php

I was hoping to see something about being safe for paint... no luck...

It does have one thing in common with TKS fluid... don’t step on any surface that has been covered in it... it will be slippery...

Highly un-recommended by a mere PP...

FIKI is nice, FOFI is most important...  Flight Out of Found Ice... anyone can fly into it...  :)

Thanks to Aaron, for the awesome pic... and great example of awesome decision making...

Best regards,

-a-

I personally have used Rain-X only on the wings for my trips to KAGC. I know it works when the windshield is frosted and no ice or frost on the wings. First time I used noticed a 5 kts TAS speed increase.  Easy to apply like a wax and leaves a shinny surface look. The treatment last about two months.  You can get it at PeP Boys. Very happy with it.

Rain-X® Plastic Water Repellent 12 fl. oz. Spray Bottle

Edited by Gagarin