What’s the worst that can happen with a dropped plug

RobertE

wait...

give the tempest guys a call... see if there is a warranty program for that... kind of an I’m sorry I didn’t mean to do that... can I swap for a new one?   :)

What could happen...
The parts fall out of the center and rattle around inside the cylinder before escaping past the exhaust valve... And hiding in the muffler... some parts are metal, some are the ceramic material... depends on what breaks...

Some ceramic parts may be glued(?) in place... I posted a pic around here from a Ford Expedition I had where the ceramic core was moving around... in the plug.  It would move enough to block the spark...

But other than that... a dead plug that can be monitored with the JPI...

There is a two drop theory... the first drop probably damages the plug... the second one is the experienced mechanic dropping it intentionally into the trash can...

Could be an OWT... awaiting the esteemed MS mechanics...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Odds are that it is fine. However, you get to roll those dice at 10k ft to find out if you won or not.

Chalk it up to paying the tuition of life. Put the new plug in and run it. I would send the old one back to Tempest and see if they can do anything with it such as check it, replace it, rebuild it or use it for R&D. It's worth the call at least.

As bad as it is to throw away a $100 plug, it’s far cheaper than the damage it could do to the cylinder should the ceramic fail.  I always keep a firm grip on the tray when I carry my 16 fire wires to the bench.

Clarence

This sounds fun......

So it's dropped and the ceramic insulator is cracked, but you don't know it and install it anyway.  Now there is a weak spot running though the center of the plug, the only thing separating the explosion inside the cylinder from the outside world.  The repeated explosions cause the crack to open until it finally fails during the next combustion cycle blowing ceramic and metal shrapnel into the engine compartment destroying the ignition harness and blowing holes in the cowling.  But wait, there’s more.  Now your engine is running with a cylinder open to the world.  On each intake cycle it’s drawing what left of the ceramic into the cylinder along with fuel.  The other plug is igniting the fuel and the old plug is blowing hot flame and gas into the engine compartment on every revolution.  That cylinder is done for.  It is no more at this point. But wait, there’s still more.  All that ceramic? Now it’s being picked up by the engine oil.  Now there is ceramic, a fragile but extremely hard and abrasive substance flowing through your engine oil getting into each bearing space wearing the cam shaft and every bearing and bushing in your engine.  Want it to stop?  Sure you do. The problem is you’re at 10,000ft.  That’s going to take time and that whole time, your engine is eating itself from the inside out.  Bright side is you've got partial power for now, but for how long?  Time to put your head between your knees and kiss your ass good bye.  Remember that saying form training, you always revert to your lowest level of training? Well you're about to see how true that is.  All that power off emergency landing stuff practice you did? Let's hope it's still there, because you're about to practice for real this time and for the first time in your flying career going aroud is NOT an option.  Better get it right the first time.

You asked what's the worst.  :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bob865 said:

Time to put your head between your knees and kiss your ass good bye. 

Even if you replace the plug, the engine will know how bad you f’d up with a critical component and try to kill you out of spite :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2