Easiest way to clean lead off your belly?

FloridaMan

1 hour ago, FloridaMan said:

What’s the easiest way to clean lead off the belly of a Mooney?

I have found AeroShell Flight Jacket Oil & Exhaust Remover to be the best. The way I use it is simply spray it on, let it sit several seconds and wipe off with microfiber cloth. Repeat with clean cloth as needed. Leaves a clean shiny surface. How thick the residue is determines how long you let it work and repeat. I go through a lot of microfiber cloths! 

FE31AE75-4264-499A-830F-661E4D07D035.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Aerocosmetics Wash n Wax! Regular (blue) for the plane, degreaser (red) for the belly, and plain, cheap terrycloth handtowels.

+1

I do the same, but also use the Belly Soap (formerly Belly Wash) to remove the exhaust stains.  I've found over the last several years, the Degreaser does a great job of degreasing, but not so well on the exhaust stains.  Sidebar...I also use the pink stuff for the windows, but according to the Wash-Wax All folks, you can use the blue and pink stuff interchangeably...for the same applications.  Go figure.

Steve

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PTK said:

I have found AeroShell Flight Jacket Oil & Exhaust Remover to be the best. The way I use it is simply spray it on, let it sit several seconds and wipe off with microfiber cloth. Repeat with clean cloth as needed. Leaves a clean shiny surface. How thick the residue is determines how long you let it work and repeat. I go through a lot of microfiber cloths! 

FE31AE75-4264-499A-830F-661E4D07D035.png

Who sells this and at what cost?

• Like 1

I used this today on a tip from the YouTube detailer Aviana Aircraft Detailing.  I diluted this approx 5 : 1, spray on, let sit for 3-5 min, wipe off with towel.  Repeated in a couple spots.  Then clean and polish with 1:20 mix ONR in a spray bottle.

Worked like a champ, no smell no fumes no headache.  Whole belly done in about 40 min. Pro tip...get or borrow a padded mechanic's creeper!

Screenshot_20191111-180715_Amazon.jpg

Personally I have found the best belly cleaner to be premium (no ethanol) mogas and a microfiber cloth. The gas cuts right through the oil and grease and the microfiber cloth does a great job holding on to it. I can usually do the whole belly with just one cloth.

• 2 weeks later...