El Basicmed en México!

Anyone else get this from AOPA today?

Mexico to Recognize BasicMed

Beginning on December 10, 2019, pilots using BasicMed in lieu of an FAA medical certificate will be able to travel to Mexico in their own airplanes. Mexico is the second foreign country after The Bahamas to recognize BasicMed, and AOPA’s advocacy efforts in pursuit of broader recognition will continue. When contemplating international travel, pilots should confirm their insurance is appropriate and documented in a manner satisfactory to the destination country and ensure that all paperwork including Radio Station License and radiotelephone operator's permit are in order. AOPA’s guide to flying in Mexico is here, and additional BasicMed resources including information about operating limitations are available here.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 12:41 PM, thinwing said:

I remember flying down and joining “Baja  Busch” kortopates for whale watching...great times!...lastest events in Sonora give me pause though...

Yep, that was a great time despite the winds that year. I am still bummed you couldn't join for whale watching on the final day because of your longer trip home. That was the first of many years going down and getting blown out till the return home day. We had the same problem again last year and didn't do the whales till our return day on Monday - which also had flying back over the local mtns in a snow storm at night; luckily its only a couple minutes and SOCAL said no icing and they were right. Hope to meet up with you two on another trip someday!

Yeah, sad to read about the Sonora incident - apparently a mistaken identity. We sure have seen our share of shootings here in the US too. But overall GA tourism is really coming back into Mexico.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Yep, that was a great time despite the winds that year. I am still bummed you couldn't join for whale watching on the final day because of your longer trip home. That was the first of many years going down and getting blown out till the return home day. We had the same problem again last year and didn't do the whales till our return day on Monday - which also had flying back over the local mtns in a snow storm at night; luckily its only a couple minutes and SOCAL said no icing and they were right. Hope to meet up with you two on another trip someday!

Yeah, sad to read about the Sonora incident - apparently a mistaken identity. We sure have seen our share of shootings here in the US too. But overall GA tourism is really coming back into Mexico.

Think with 50,000 basic med pilots now,Mexico realized the economic value these older pilots bring to places like Serindad,Loreto,Punta Pescadero etc and has recognized what the Bahamas did 2 years ago.I believe Canada will be next.Flying to Baja and other parts of Mexico ,probably is the safest way to get down there avoiding lonely roads and possible ambush.I recall when we hired that mini bus driver to take us South to Loreto for the day ,Paul,I was most concerned during the road block checks.Those guys looked scary!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thinwing said:

Think with 50,000 basic med pilots now,Mexico realized the economic value these older pilots bring to places like Serindad,Loreto,Punta Pescadero etc and has recognized what the Bahamas did 2 years ago.I believe Canada will be next.Flying to Baja and other parts of Mexico ,probably is the safest way to get down there avoiding lonely roads and possible ambush.I recall when we hired that mini bus driver to take us South to Loreto for the day ,Paul,I was most concerned during the road block checks.Those guys looked scary!

Nice to see someone else from Sacramento. 

I always felt as though the most dangerous parts of Mexico were near the boarder. 

-Robert

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Nice to see someone else from Sacramento. 

I always felt as though the most dangerous parts of Mexico were near the boarder. 

-Robert

Actually the State Department whom provides advisories disagrees with the exception of Tamaulipas state (a Level 4 - Do not travel area). All of Baja and most of the upper plateau of southern mainland Mexico (south of Guadalajara to the border) are only level 2 like most of Europe. But there are a few other Level 4 areas including Colima state, including Manzanillo which I've been too and where the Movie 10 was filmed, Guerrero state with Acapulco (with lots of armed gov security to keep the peace) and Zihuatanejo, Michoacán state with Morelia where I recently visited to see the Butterflies this past winter, Sinaloa state, mostly due to Culiacan, but even the state depart allow gov employees to go to La Mochis and Mazatlan which are popular tourist destinations. The only Level 4 place I haven't travelled to is Tamaulipas state, due to violent crime and kidnappings in the tourist areas that even has my wife scared away from - she says the state's offerings aren't worth the risk. But one other Mooney friend from Texas was recently down there and thought it was fine.

Stick to the Level 2 & 3 areas, read up on where the areas of risk are and take normal precautions and you should be fine. Yet it takes an adventuresome spirit to travel in Mexico which few seem to have.  With over 300 mass shooting this year in the US, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2019) - "Home" is hardly the safe heaven we make it out to be, we're just comfortable with the what we know and the new normal.

The young soldiers that greet us at landing at every airport are fine. They have even been known to give us a ride into town in their Humvee when a taxi wasn't readily available.

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1