Cabin Cold

mwilton1

Hi Folks,

Have an odd question. I was flying the plane this week (1981 M20K) and have a lot of cold air coming into the cabin. With the limited mobility I have in my Mooney, it appears to be coming in around the rear seat belts and on the outside edges of the rear seats. Before my mechanics start tearing my poor baby apart, anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Thanks,

Mike

1 hour ago, mwilton1 said:

Hi Folks,

Have an odd question. I was flying the plane this week (1981 M20K) and have a lot of cold air coming into the cabin. With the limited mobility I have in my Mooney, it appears to be coming in around the rear seat belts and on the outside edges of the rear seats. Before my mechanics start tearing my poor baby apart, anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Thanks,

Mike

There are vents just behind the rear bench. These are supposed to be out vents. Are you sure the air is coming in and not flowing out?

Starting with the simple things....

Let me add a non-sensical answer....

The M20C has it’s back seat vent / heat ducts in the same area that is being described... air gets delivered at the sidewalls next to the back seaters... by the time it gets there it might not be very warm...

Does the K share the same vent/heat layout?

Open the cabin heat control (while flying) does the leaking air get warmer?

1) Heat /vent ducts are in the area...

2) Cabin vent, usually exiting from the area...

3) Wire ducts... where wires come from the back, to the panel, are also back there and should be sealed up... odd source of CO as well...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, mwilton1 said:

Hi Folks,

Thanks,

Mike

All of the area under the back seat cushion is meant to be sealed, the panels with foil type tape, the edges with caulking.  The left and right main gear rods from the under the back seat to the wheel wells are sealed with a “rat sock”. The electrical wire hole from the battery compartment to the baggage compartment on the left side of the plane is to be sealed as well.

Clarence

Yes, find the drafts and seal them. Yes, check the tubing that’s supposed to deliver heater air to the rear as they deteriorate in a decade or three.       

But it’s always going to be cold back there on a dark winter flight.  

How about adding some seat heat?  Like This?  Get rid of your 10 amp Incandescent landing light (go LED) and use the juice to warm your whatever.  

STC pending.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. The air does not get warmer with the heat on, so that is not it. Sounds like when the guys had it in for annual a few weeks ago, they may have missed sealing something back up. I will pull the back seats and the pan and see what I can find under there. It is definitely air flowing out. Feels like it is coming in from under the plane then coming up beside the seats. I checked the boots on the gear in the gear doors, but didnt realize there were others under the seats. Will report back with my findings. Thanks everyone!