TKS fluid for sale

kevinw

I know this is a long shot but I have about 16 gallons of TKS fluid in a 55 gallon barrel along with a metal stand for tipping it to its side and moving. My new plane does not have TKS and no one locally has any need for it. As you can see from the pic, the yellow stand tips over and there is a spout for filling a container. It sits on four wheels when tipped so it's easy to move as well. Unfortunately due to it's size it really can't be shipped. I'm located in western Iowa and looking for $100. I know it's worth more but I'm trying to make it attractive because of the cost to pick it up. Let me know if interested.

IMG_2709.jpg

46 minutes ago, kevinw said:

I know this is a long shot but I have about 16 gallons of TKS fluid in a 55 gallon barrel along with a metal stand for tipping it to its side and moving. My new plane does not have TKS and no one locally has any need for it. As you can see from the pic, the yellow stand tips over and there is a spout for filling a container. It sits on four wheels when tipped so it's easy to move as well. Unfortunately due to it's size it really can't be shipped. I'm located in western Iowa and looking for $100. I know it's worth more but I'm trying to make it attractive because of the cost to pick it up. Let me know if interested.

IMG_2709.jpg

...ah I wish you were closer!

Kevin,

i have a similar drum cradle from when TKS fluid was sold in metal, straight-walled barrels.  Problem is: the tabs that lift the bottom of the barrel don’t play nicely tith plastic drums, which taper at top and bottom.  So now I use a siphon pump, which is a little messy.

also, how old is the fluid?

If yours has mort than the 1” tabs, I’d be interested.

-dan

Edited by exM20K

Kevin,
i have a similar drum cradle from when TKS fluid was sold in metal, straight-walled barrels.  Problem is: the tabs that lift the bottom of the barrel don’t play nicely tith plastic drums, which taper at top and bottom.  So now I use a siphon pump, which is a little messy.
-dan

I’ll take a look and take some pics of the tabs. As far as age I’m not sure. I bought it with my J in 2013. It was about half full at the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/6/2019 at 8:07 PM, exM20K said:

Kevin,

-dan

I took a closer look at the cradle and they are short 1-2" tabs however they don't appear to be causing a problem. If you're still interested just let me know. Thanks

• 2 months later...
Kevin,
Did you sell your TKS fluid? Which airport would we be flying into?
John Karasek

Hi John. I’m located at KCIN in Carroll, IA. At this point the TKS is just taking up space so if you have a way of transporting it, it’s free of charge to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to throw a damper on @kevinw’s potential sale, but the shelf life on TKS fluid is 2 years according to CAV Aerospace.  If this barrel was procured in 2013 when the OP purchased his J model, it should be disposed of unfortunately.  Again, this according to a conversation I had with CAV just a few weeks ago when I procured a new drum, as some of mine was beyond expiration date and I had asked them to confirm the shelf life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevenL757 said:

Not to throw a damper on @kevinw’s potential sale, but the shelf life on TKS fluid is 2 years according to CAV Aerospace.  If this barrel was procured in 2013 when the OP purchased his J model, it should be disposed of unfortunately.  Again, this according to a conversation I had with CAV just a few weeks ago when I procured a new drum, as some of mine was beyond expiration date and I had asked them to confirm the shelf life.

In light of this new information I rescind my previous offer. Instead of $200 and a nice bottle of wine, my new offer is lunch at the airport and a crappy bottle of wine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Someone considering using this fluid may want to check  Ph and specific gravity against the spec. Those, I believe would indicate if it’s ok to use. Spec is on DW Davies site somewhere. 
-dan

• Like 1

Expect the shelf life challenge to be based on its packaging qualities...

A certain amount of moisture will be entering the packaging over a period of time.  This rate really increases once the package has been opened...

A certain amount of TKS will also be escaping the packaging over a period of time.  This rate can also increase once the package has been opened...

Since TKS is alcohol... it likes to absorb moisture...

Moisture will cause its freeze point to change...

Realistically, it’s TKS fluid... it is a de icing media that can handle lots of moisture...

There may be a very simple method to test the moisture content of the opened package... similar to testing radiator fluid... a common alcohol/water blend that uses a density measurement to determine the blend...

Another way to see what its ability to work is... put it in a very cold freezer... does it turn to a thick syrup? Or stay watery...?

Of course... making a good comparison should be done with a known good sample of TKS fluid... :)

Expect the use by date is based on the time they actually tested their product to last, with the packaging they used...  the product isn’t going bad or oxidizing naturally....

For follow-up questions... the TKS people have been pretty good about answering questions...

If you can’t get the spec... or test the fluid against the spec... it wouldn’t be wise to put it your FIKI system...

PP thoughts only, not a chemist or TKS user...

Best regards,

-a-

14 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

I do not suggest anyone follow what I have done but I will share my experiences for information only. 

I still have some TKS fluid from a 55 gallon drum that was purchased in 2014. I tried some of this fluid in icing conditions under very minimum risk conditions. I descended through a thin layer of known icing on approach. The results were good. The TKS system worked normally and the fluid kept the surfaces clear of an ice while the unprotected surfaces collected about 3/8" of ice. The landing light and taxi light lens in the middle of the wing and the wing tips were noticeably coated. 

It mixed some of this old fluid with new fluid and it also worked as expected. 

Ice is a serious problem not to be played with. I do not suggest, support or encourage anyone to do what I have posted. 

I am only sharing my observations.

I still have some old fluid and plan to use it during the summer to keep the system primed and cycled regularly. 

• Like 1

I read - but cannot find right now - that the TKS fluid becomes corrosive when it is old - so damaging to your airplane generally if you use it.  Is this correct?

If not - otherwise I would use old TKS fluid for summer system purging.  We must run our tks system at least once a month whether it is icy out or not, even in the summer.  I figure I go through maybe 3 to 5 gallons a year in off season using the system this way.

I generally buy TKS in small quantities in small jugs since they are easy to handle, the shipping is lower since it gets below the hazardous shipping threshold, and I don't use a lot of fluid annually anyway since mostly I am just running the system just in case, which means just while punching through clouds that are not forecast to be icing so like 10 min at a time (2 min in the cloud and 8 min prior priming the system), as one should in a non FIKI system.

35 minutes ago, pkofman said:

How do you use rain x with Tks. Sorry I don’t understand what you are saying here  please explain

I do not have TKS on my plane. For ice prevention I apply Rain-X with a cotton towel and rub it until the wing surface shine. I first found that it de-ice the wing when my windshield was completely frozen but not the wings. The slippery surface added about 5 kts to the IAS at 10,000 feet. 

I do not have TKS on my plane. For ice prevention I apply Rain-X with a cotton towel and rub it until the wing surface shine. I first found that it de-ice the wing when my windshield was completely frozen but not the wings. The slippery surface added about 5 kts to the IAS at 10,000 feet. 

Why didn’t you use it on your windshield....isn’t that what it was designed for?

Tom

3 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Why didn’t you use it on your windshield....isn’t that what it was designed for?

Tom

I used another compound on the windshield that says is for aviation use. Later I applied small portion of Rain-X (for plastic on goggles and motorcycle windscreen) on the windshield but had not encountered icing conditions. My son that lives in Plum, PA use it routinely on his cars during winter and is very happy with it, no more scraping and keeps the windshield clear of ice even without the wipers on but HWY speeds. He is the one that recommended it.  

Edited by Gagarin

10 hours ago, Gagarin said:

thank you for clarifying @Gagarin,   btw are there any corrosive properties in rain x.? I like the idea of using it on some surfaces at times.

Edited by pkofman
added content