Skybeacon ADSB

Lukon

I just want to get legal with my C Model before the New Year. The plan was to install a Skybeacon, and have Dennis at Inland Valley Aviation sign off on it, and get his instrument guy to run the tests. Turns out Dennis sold Inland Valley Aviation to Affordable Avionics, and they won’t touch the Skybeacon.

Grrr...

Now I need to find someone to help me with the Skybeacon, AND I have to find a new place to do my owner assisted annuals. Can anybody help with suggestions?

Edited by Lukon
sp

I did my SkyBeacon myself and my IA signed it off.  Easy to do.  SkyBeacon has a sample 337 on there website.  I filled out the paper work with my IA info and signature and sent it in.  Test flight was no big deal.  Gave me an excuse to fly and report came back perfect.  If you want to fly to Vegas I'm sure my IA would do it for you.  He charged me $50.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He mentioned SkyBeacon and not Tailbeacon.  I'll ask him here which he has - the tail mounted one or the wing tip one?

Which do you have? 

Any A&P?AI can do it but uAvionix has a list of their qualified installers on their website.

One might be near you.. 

They probably don't want to do it as there isn't enough money in it for them. Not good thinking for future customers.

But then again if they have all the business they can handle why worry about a little guy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kerry said:

I did my SkyBeacon myself and my IA signed it off.  Easy to do.  SkyBeacon has a sample 337 on there website.  I filled out the paper work with my IA info and signature and sent it in.  Test flight was no big deal.  Gave me an excuse to fly and report came back perfect.  If you want to fly to Vegas I'm sure my IA would do it for you.  He charged me $50.

I just flew into Henderson this past Sunday; at which airfield is your AI located? Does he do owner assisted annuals as well?

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Lukon,

(This note is for a tail beacon... ) You also have a short rudder on your 65C... so no added issues of control surface balancing to contend with...

Did you buy the Skybeacon yet?

Best regards,

-a-

I have not made the purchase yet. I wanted to make sure I had the installation and sign off lined up. I noticed the tail beacon is more expensive (that’s how cheap I am.) is there an advantage to it?

The wing tip unit SkyBeacon has LED nav lights and an LED strobe light in the unit along with the ADSB transmitter, it mounts on the left wingtip replacing your left nav light system.

They are coming out with a right side nav light/strobe early next year so those of us who wanted LED navs and tip strobes will have a matching pair. If that's what you want you will need to purchase the other side next year for @ $500

The TailBeacon only has a white nav light and the ADSB transmitter. No other purchase is necessary. The TailBeacon is probably what you want.

Its 2 screws and one wire to hook up. quick easy installation. It is set up by an app on your phone. Again, quick and easy for most any A&P

IIRC the "fly off" to verify its correct operation is not "required" but you will get a nastygram in the mail if they see you not transmitting correctly when you fly so you might as well do the fly off when you install so you can clear any discrepancies right away. It has to be done in ADSB airspace ( anywhere where transponders are required).

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 3:24 PM, Lukon said:

I found a guy at French Valley I think I'm going to like, based on our phone conversation.  I went ahead and ordered a TailBeacon.  I'll keep you guys posted.

CavuAviation out of Riverside just put my TailBeacon in today; went smoothly.  Still need to make the confirmation flight. Bought the TailBeacon from AircraftSpruce which had it in stock.