Aspen Max Upgrade

Zulee

The redundancy is a BIG DEAL with the dual G5’s.  We have a vacuum backup horizon right now and we can/will lose that with the pulling of the vacuum.  A JPI engine monitor will go in the space vacated by elimination of existing fuel monitor and moving strike finder to current back-up horizon location.  As Paul says “Get it on the pilot side”.  We can not go landscape, but we can get it on the pilot side.  I like the strip gauges and they work, so will likely NOT do the 900.  I know, but not going there in “round one”... :)

• Like 2

The redundancy is a BIG DEAL with the dual G5’s.  We have a vacuum backup horizon right now and we can/will lose that with the pulling of the vacuum.  A JPI engine monitor will go in the space vacated by elimination of existing fuel monitor and moving strike finder to current back-up horizon location.  As Paul says “Get it on the pilot side”.  We can not go landscape, but we can get it on the pilot side.  I like the strip gauges and they work, so will likely NOT do the 900.  I know, but not going there in “round one”...

I really like having my EDM 830 on the pilots side. 7b1a0e99c8dd2106ed3c9ce8e463420e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So funny!  I was about to post a very similar thread after flying back from Fullerton today and taking some photos of my Max displays!

The two main things I’ve noticed since the upgrade to MAX-  

1: the displays are very clear/crisp and colorful compared to the older models.

2: there is no longer any lag in the displays when synthetic vision is enabled- they run smoothly.  The “lag” or “jitter” was my chief complaint about the old Aspen with SV enabled (without SV, it was fine)... obviously I wasn’t the only one- the new processing power has brought clear, fast displays to the Aspen.

oh, one other thing I noticed- the case no longer gets hot.  So the new technology must be running quite a bit cooler, too!

here are my pics...

338DC0A3-5D31-4059-9FA9-87CD13ABCC99.jpeg

9D697285-30E2-425E-9F3A-1C2F35B3D5BD.jpeg

265C2310-C2A8-4CC7-B056-CF676B753ACF.jpeg

72180168-78DE-4A2D-8F1A-44F25853D671.jpeg

3E22250C-F42D-4CDB-B637-4DC45DD2C53C.jpeg

3B1BEFF7-5EE5-4895-8083-55F0F6F1719D.jpeg

• Like 2

So funny!  I was about to post a very similar thread after flying back from Fullerton today and taking some photos of my Max displays!

The two main things I’ve noticed since the upgrade to MAX-  
1: the displays are very clear/crisp and colorful compared to the older models.
2: there is no longer any lag in the displays when synthetic vision is enabled- they run smoothly.  The “lag” or “jitter” was my chief complaint about the old Aspen with SV enabled (without SV, it was fine)... obviously I wasn’t the only one- the new processing power has brought clear, fast displays to the Aspen.
oh, one other thing I noticed- the case no longer gets hot.  So the new technology must be running quite a bit cooler, too!

here are my pics...
338DC0A3-5D31-4059-9FA9-87CD13ABCC99.thumb.jpeg.874a94f02e1d8a4a89f5bfe3616b9c49.jpeg
9D697285-30E2-425E-9F3A-1C2F35B3D5BD.thumb.jpeg.2ba93c1337a9ddccf40be179ec8ba09b.jpeg
265C2310-C2A8-4CC7-B056-CF676B753ACF.thumb.jpeg.760a6b69c4fa7428a9349f2f83bf085d.jpeg
72180168-78DE-4A2D-8F1A-44F25853D671.thumb.jpeg.232ff1376329033df71a4be017b86177.jpeg
3E22250C-F42D-4CDB-B637-4DC45DD2C53C.thumb.jpeg.2163df2f7bc43a907f43a51d89b202be.jpeg
3B1BEFF7-5EE5-4895-8083-55F0F6F1719D.thumb.jpeg.6a4aa07a941d108e4841685f03b4789f.jpeg

How long did it take for Aspen to turn your units around? Have you played with the blue banana for vertical descents and climbs? If so, how well does it work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

How long did it take for Aspen to turn your units around? Have you played with the blue banana for vertical descents and climbs? If so, how well does it work?

Aspen was doing so many of the upgrades they ended up behind schedule- it took almost 8 weeks for them to turn my units around.  I dropped the plane off in mid July, picked it up in early September (the hot months down here in Phoenix... not pleasant for ga flying!)

the blue banana is very pronounced- it’s impossible to miss on the displays... on my IFD, sometimes I forget that it’s there, it’s so subtle.  It works as it should- tells you the expected intercept point for the climb/ descent you’re in.  I like having it on my mfd now, rather than having to look at the IFD for it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, M016576 said:

Aspen was doing so many of the upgrades they ended up behind schedule- it took almost 8 weeks for them to turn my units around.  I dropped the plane off in mid July, picked it up in early September (the hot months down here in Phoenix... not pleasant for ga flying!)

the blue banana is very pronounced- it’s impossible to miss on the displays... on my IFD, sometimes I forget that it’s there, it’s so subtle.  It works as it should- tells you the expected intercept point for the climb/ descent you’re in.  I like having it on my mfd now, rather than having to look at the IFD for it.

I just got the call that my spot in the queue came up. I can't afford to wait 8 weeks. Will keep everyone updated on the "Aspen November Timeline".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

See if @Alan Fox has a rental Aspen program...

Rent an Aspen would be better than sitting out for a pair of months...

Best regards,

-a-

Ha! That would be a new product line for the Reaper. I think he prefers quick cash transfers. Leasing programs don't seem to fit his operating model. Which from his history is buy them and 1) resale them or 2) let his inner Reaper take them apart.

I can see some value for many...

Somebody needing to rent one for a few months...

Somebody else tiring of their BK Swiss watch...

I was mid discussion with the reaper on such a transaction when some random passer by said, he preferred the Swiss watch...

Peter’s plane is across the ramp... but it didn’t look like Peter... :)

Best regards,

-a-

On 11/11/2019 at 9:22 AM, Marauder said:

I just got the call that my spot in the queue came up. I can't afford to wait 8 weeks. Will keep everyone updated on the "Aspen November Timeline".

2 months really sucks I passed on my spot in August (when delay was 3 weeks) and delayed until Jan when I have some other limited avionics work scheduled.  Even then, 2 months would be unacceptable.

2 months really sucks I passed on my spot in August (when delay was 3 weeks) and delayed until Jan when I have some other limited avionics work scheduled.  Even then, 2 months would be unacceptable.

Ben said the turnaround times have been all over the place. Seen some turned in 5 days and others took 8 weeks. The guys who paid for the exchange are waiting as well. A guy on my field who opted for the exchange has been waiting since the start of the program.

I suspect there are staffing issues and probably some poor planning based on the number of people who are doing the upgrades.

I did see something over at Ben’s. A rare Peter Garmin plane spotting. Heard he is getting an Aspen 2500 installed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/10/2019 at 8:55 AM, Marauder said:

My two units were received 10/28 and are scheduled to ship today (11/12).  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

Ben said the turnaround times have been all over the place. Seen some turned in 5 days and others took 8 weeks. The guys who paid for the exchange are waiting as well. A guy on my field who opted for the exchange has been waiting since the start of the program.

I suspect there are staffing issues and probably some poor planning based on the number of people who are doing the upgrades.

I did see something over at Ben’s. A rare Peter Garmin plane spotting. Heard he is getting an Aspen 2500 installed. emoji1787.png

Did you see Joes geared up Bravo , out on the grass.....

33 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Yeah, actually saw it a few days after he geared it up. It was in Ben’s hangar. He might want to consider switching another brand ...

At least he didn't take out the fence and wires this time....   

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, is shipping part of the upgrade fee? Or is it added to the avionics shop cost?  Also, how much are shops charging for the swap, an hour of labor?

The installation should have some cost if you add the audio wire for the altitude call outs. As well, I suspect there is some time spent updating the logs. Not sure about the shipping costs.

My ticket just came up.  Note turnaround is 10-15 days from December 1, and it looks like they've worked through their supply issues.  I'm expecting to be grounded for a month when considering shipping, scheduling with local avionics shop, etc.

November 13, 2019

MAX Production Schedule for December 2019

You are receiving this email because you are next in the que for December MAX rebuilds and exchange displays.  We have communicated this status with your dealer and encourage you to contact them to follow up to ensure coordination of schedules. 

We cannot express more strongly how much we appreciate your patience in this program as we worked through our supply chain disruption which caused unintended delays.   

• REBUILDS:  For those who have NOT previously sent units to Aspen's Albuquerque manufacturing facility, we ask that you wait until December 1 to send in your display unit(s).  Going forward we commit to a 10-15 business day turn time for your rebuild once received in our Albuquerque manufacturing facility.

IMPORTANT!  If we are not in receipt of your unit for rebuild in December we will be moving you to a later month in the que.  If December rebuild scheduling does not work for you, please let us know by contacting us at aspen@aspenavionics.com and we willl work with you to help with any scheduling conflicts.  

• EXCHANGE:  Display delivery begins in the last week of November. 

Thank you for being a valued Aspen customer.

Sincerely,

Aspen Avionics

• Like 1