Aspen Max Upgrade

Zulee

@Zulee, Thanks for  posting.  I got the call yesterday that my upgrade is ready for install.  I'm going to add synthetic vision and ADS-B.  I'm curious as to your satisfaction level with Synthetic Vision....Does it display the runway during approach?  Is the resolution to you liking?

49 minutes ago, alextstone said:

@Zulee, Thanks for  posting.  I got the call yesterday that my upgrade is ready for install.  I'm going to add synthetic vision and ADS-B.  I'm curious as to your satisfaction level with Synthetic Vision....Does it display the runway during approach?  Is the resolution to you liking?

Synthetic is just as vivid as the other displays. I should have taken some pictures of that function as well...my bad.  The next time I go up I will bring a friend to take some shots while landing. 

56 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Where is Peter Garmin when you need him? I want to know why that Garmin G5’s screen resolution isn’t as good as the Aspen’s! emoji1787.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I tried to get the brightness of the two as equal as possible and I agree, the G5 does appear a little washed. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, alextstone said:

I'm still waiting on my call for the MAX upgrade, but I have a tentative date of "December at the earliest" from Aspen.  What are you using for ADS-B in for the Aspen?  I have traffic from my TAS-600 displaying on my PFD but want to install an MFD and put weather on it.  Apparently it's possible to augment traffic from TCAS/TAS with TIS-B, but I've spent so much time research all this it just leaves me even more confused.

1 hour ago, BaldEagle said:

I'm still waiting on my call for the MAX upgrade, but I have a tentative date of "December at the earliest" from Aspen.  What are you using for ADS-B in for the Aspen?  I have traffic from my TAS-600 displaying on my PFD but want to install an MFD and put weather on it.  Apparently it's possible to augment traffic from TCAS/TAS with TIS-B, but I've spent so much time research all this it just leaves me even more confused.

You are so right on the options being confusing!  Aspen offers an integration between the Garmin GDL-88 and GTX-345.  I have the former so that's what I am doing.  I actually prefer XM Weather and I display that on my iPad in Foreflight.  The ADS-B integration from the GDL-88 to the Aspen is for me more about having the traffic displayed on the PFD window.  

Here's the Aspen price list for hints on what is possible...https://aspenavionics.com/pricing

Here's Aspen's promo page regarding ADS-B...https://aspenavionics.com/products/nextgen

Here's another Aspen Hazard Avoidance option...https://aspenavionics.com/products/evolution-hazard-awareness

I hope this helps.

Safe Flying,

Alex

• Thanks 1

As Alex mentioned you will need the hazard awareness unlock on the mfd display to have it display active traffic. I’m not sure if the 345 can integrate the tas600 information like it can with skywatch. If it can you could just get the adsb unlock and have the combined traffic data. 

If not I’d leave the active traffic on the hsi screen and use the mfd display for adsb. One less $800 unlock to buy. 

Edited by MIm20c
  • Thanks 1

I’m still waiting for the Aspen Max as well. My original date was in September.

As for traffic and weather on the MFD, the Lynx 9000+ I have integrates TAS and TIS-B on the MFD. one thing I don’t know about is whether you get textual weather products on the MFD with the Garmin 345.

Here is an example being sent over from the Lynx.

0283cd8d628e18648dd6040f4a1784bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow!  I thought “ehhh my Aspen is good enough as is”. But REALLY like the upgrade display quality. Also thought I could always get by without synthetic vision but jealous of that velocity vector.

As an aside  I did the stratus ADS-B solution with 3i to iPad for weather and ads-b in. Really happy with it and don’t feel like I am missing out not having it in an MFD. Being able to zoom into traffic, use the distance tool and selecting target off the iPad is nice.......BUT that is nice display on the upgrade!

Just a PIREP...
I thought I would share some pictures of the Aspen PFD MFD Max upgrades. I also have a G5 so a pretty good comparison of color and clarity side by side. 

C11FE8EF-60EF-427C-AF68-810F1236E3AC.thumb.jpeg.66789b3c39b63dc7521c95e97363ac7b.jpeg
2C128A87-DBC7-40AC-813F-070B996B7C0C.thumb.jpeg.50f3f284260676afbaf2c4c61c610f38.jpeg
97457D94-41D7-4E1D-9A60-03C362DA257B.thumb.jpeg.5a1d49afb765558133fdd1f57e42d8ee.jpeg
C623DCC2-AFD6-4949-B98F-4FE3D0CC6CBC.thumb.jpeg.f8d210bf50895f88dc0735ad2993cc80.jpeg

Forgot to ask you this. Why is your RSM GPS indicator on?

3 hours ago, alextstone said:

@Marauder, mine was originally scheduled for September also.  I purchased April 5th.  Perhaps yours is soon to arrive.  Did you purchase the exchange/swap option?

I went with the return option. I think Aspen didn't plan this out well. They should have done an exchange program instead of allowing returns. They could have used their service pool to begin exchanges and then used the exchanged units to keep it filled. I think they underestimated their turnaround capabilities. It has a big impact on owners and shops who are waiting on them. I don't like hearing people have their planes down for 3 weeks waiting for the units to be returned. 

• Like 1

I wanted to buy the upgrade. But I have 3 displays and I felt they were gouging by asking for $500 extra for each display for the exchange option. There was absolutely no way I would agree to the return option. Even if things go as promised you are looking at 3 weeks of downtime. There is nothing I hate more about GA than excessive downtime. And there is a significant risk of delay with a new program such as this one. Aspen offers incentives all the time, so I figured I'd wait a year or two for this initial surge to die down and for Aspen to start offering deals on an exchange upgrade. In the meantime, I'm pretty happy with my 2 year old legacy units.

For those of you who paid for the return option, would Aspen allow you to upgrade to the exchange option now?

I wanted to buy the upgrade. But I have 3 displays and I felt they were gouging by asking for $500 extra for each display for the exchange option. There was absolutely no way I would agree to the return option. Even if things go as promised you are looking at 3 weeks of downtime. There is nothing I hate more about GA than excessive downtime. And there is a significant risk of delay with a new program such as this one. Aspen offers incentives all the time, so I figured I'd wait a year or two for this initial surge to die down and for Aspen to start offering deals on an exchange upgrade. In the meantime, I'm pretty happy with my 2 year old legacy units.
For those of you who paid for the return option, would Aspen allow you to upgrade to the exchange option now?

I was probably one of the last people who took them up on the return option. Last few days of the offer. My delay was whether or not I want to spend the money for the Max or stay with what I had. The Max displays I have seen are crisp and look very much like my ESI-500 display.

I’m hoping to tie the downtime in with another avionics upgrade. At least then it won’t feel as painful.

18 minutes ago, RogueOne said:

It is not just resolution. It is viewable size. I prefer the font and size on the Garmin for readability. I am not disputing or calling bs on resolution. I am seeing with my eyes and calling bs on the assessment. 

I’m not so sure, @Zulee has passed his judgment on the two screens and put a placard above the one that is obviously unreadable...877A5C54-5579-4793-991C-945248F80E63.thumb.png.b568be1414cbcf386085c867e83148a5.png

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, RogueOne said:

It is not just resolution. It is viewable size. I prefer the font and size on the Garmin for readability. I am not disputing or calling bs on resolution. I am seeing with my eyes and calling bs on the assessment. 

Scott, I also see in the "Features" section of the Aspen MAX, the font and screen size can be increased. It is one reason I bit on the MAX upgrade so soon after installing my Aspen PFD.

Now to just wait for my turn in line...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldguy said:

Scott, I also see in the "Features" section of the Aspen MAX, the font and screen size can be increased. It is one reason I bit on the MAX upgrade so soon after installing my Aspen PFD.

Now to just wait for my turn in line...

Blow it up side by side.  I will view and if I agree I will change my opinion.