3D printed parts

Fry

Hi there,

I would be interested in collecting 3D models of Mooney-related parts of all kind. As a starter, attached is the Sketchup model, STL print file and photo of a cover I have designed and printed. It is not a Mooney standard part. Its purpose is to cover the emergency gear handle between the front seats so passengers do not accidentally step on and unlock the mechanism. On the top, there is an inlay showing a wheel. On the sides, the old Mooney logo. It fits nicely. Of course, I have painted and finished be part - but since I am really bad with paint, I'm not showing the result :-)

Best regards,
Fry

Unfinished 3D Print 2019-11-04.jpeg

Emergency Gear Handle Cover.skp Emergency Gear Handle Cover.stl

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Fry said:

I would be interested in collecting 3D models of Mooney-related parts of all kind.

Hi Fry,

I have been waiting for sb to say that ! Your cover is a very good example (and I need one too ;) ) of what could be done.

But as my knowledge of 3D printing "qualities" is limited, ... what range of properties is within reach ? soft/hard, bridle/flexible, flammable/or not, resistant to battery acid, ...

You see what I mean. These properties determine whether other parts (without PMA and part number !!) are of interest.

How difficult is it to make the files from scratch ?

The above part is obviously more decorative than functional and thus needs no blessing of the PMA or any other kind. I assume there are more things like that, e.g. switch covers, cup/smartphone/something holders, etc.

3D printed parts can be quite good. The printer I have access to (above) prints carbon fiber doted ABS. The result is lightweight and surprisingly hard.

I use Sketchup (in its basic version a free 3D CAD program). Alternatives exist. I did not find it hard to learn at all.

Edited by Fry

Over the past few years...

We have seen a few 3D printed parts...

1) switch covers on the instrument panel

2) A decorative part for somebody’s interior/roof

3) This fancy E-gear cover

4) Some test articles to print a 3D Mooney model

There are a few threads that have covered some details... a search may uncover more parts...

MS has some pretty tech savy people... some with good creative minds... and others with some tech, get it done, skills... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

In the extreme end of 3d printing - how about 3d printed jet engines?

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/ge-prepares-boeing-777x-for-takeoff-with-3d-printed-fan-blades-146566/

but apparently hobbyists are doing that now too.

but my favorite 3d printing...3d printed heart valves made out of printing with biological materials.

https://www.futurity.org/heart-valves-3d-printing-2112122/

and the promise supposedly is 3d printed replacement parts, like knee cartridge, heart valves - whatever your worn out old body needs.

• Like 1

This is a pretty good table for comparing 3-D printed plastics:  https://www.simplify3d.com/support/materials-guide/properties-table/

There are many other things to keep in mind: 

1.  Anything with a print temperature of 200oC or less is not really suitable for the cockpit, as it will likely warp on a hot day. 

2.  Chemical resistance varies widely.  ABS is dissolved in acetone.  PLA is impervious to acetone, but is soluble in MEK.  HIPS can be used as support material, which provides a much better print in some cases, and it readily dissolves in limonene, but limonene also affects ABS and maybe some others.

3.  The tougher materials are harder to print well.

4.  You pay for the performance of materials exponentially.

5.  Paint sticks to some materials, but not others.  ABS is great, since many spray paints use an acetone base.

6.  The above list is only for FFF/FDM printing.  DLP/etc. have differing materials, including ceramics, (and are much more expensive).

For those of you who had not heard, I had two hard drives crash, so I lost almost all of my stored data, including those for switch covers.  I still have a few fully finished covers left, but I will have to recreate STL files to make more.  I have my SolidWorks program up-and-running, finally, so I can get back to work on the CAD.

Let me know if anyone has ideas for any other unique items.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/6/2019 at 8:24 PM, carusoam said:

Over the past few years...

We have seen a few 3D printed parts...

1) switch covers on the instrument panel

2) A decorative part for somebody’s interior/roof

3) This fancy E-gear cover

4) Some test articles to print a 3D Mooney model

There are a few threads that have covered some details... a search may uncover more parts...

MS has some pretty tech savy people... some with good creative minds... and others with some tech, get it done, skills... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Any chance someone has created a vet air director for the gaping hole Mooney calls cabin heat? 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 10:16 PM, 201Steve said:

Please. This. @AH-1 Cobra Pilot ?! Or better yet, an insert that turns the gaping hole in the cieling into directed air flow. 

Be on the look out for the most recent thread…

Where an MSer has plugged the gaping hole, and replaced it with a nicely aimed box to mount an eyeball vent…. X 4.

It is still under development… not done yet.

This can upgrade your airflow devices to a level better than the latest Ovations….   :)

PP thoughts only…

-a-

• Thanks 1