Leaking whiskey compass

Check the rug for how much dripped there...?

maybe some carpet cleaner (Aka soap and water) on the spot.

My C’s compass leaked once, I caught a drop falling with the corner of my eye...  :) (I saw it, didn’t actually touch it)

The smell of 100LL in my plane was so strong, the kerosene was never detectable...

It took years to find all the leaks... before MS.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Open the doors an$ let it air out. Kerosene is volatile, it will go away.

It makes me wonder because compass fluid is highly refined kerosene and is almost odorless. Maybe it was serviced with jet A.

It may be highly refined, but in a small space it stinks like all get out. I just left the doors open snd it did eventually go away.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nick X said:

When we brought the M20C home, the compass started leaking. Got the compass fixed but the odor from the fluid (kerosene) is still pretty strong. Any recommends on secret sauce to get the odor out?

If there is kerosene in your compass, it has been serviced wrong.  There is special compass fluid for this job.

Clarence

If your “whiskey compass” is still leaking it needs repair. 
Under A&P supervision I fixed my M20E compass by buying the Kit and spending an hour disassembling, cleaning and repairing it.  
A bonus — with decades of filmy “stuff” cleaned from the glass it was easier to read the compass markings.  
And liquid no longer dripped onto my right pant leg. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

If your “whiskey compass” is still leaking it needs repair. 
Under A&P supervision I fixed my M20E compass by buying the Kit and spending an hour disassembling, cleaning and repairing it.  
A bonus — with decades of filmy “stuff” cleaned from the glass it was easier to read the compass markings.  
And liquid no longer dripped onto my right pant leg. 

FYI

An A&P is not authorized to repair a compass.

It is a job for the hangar elves shh..,.

• Like 3

I had a wet compass for 10 years and got tired of replacing the diaphragm and the fluid. Replaced it with a Vertical Card Compass and all leaks were gone. The heading indication is very much like a directional gyro very stable and accurate and much easier to read than a wet compass. Very popular on helicopters. The secret for good performance is on the installation. works very good on the M20J and later models because of its non magnetic post. Use the post/pendulum like mounting to keep vibrations out. Strongly recommend it.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrDQqPmzcJdY14AIk0PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Vertical+card+compass&fr=yhs-iba-1&hspart=iba&hsimp=yhs-1#id=1&vid=56d431c4fcec6a036b18451385f26eb4&action=view

I suggest you let it leak out completely and then use it as an "Aviation Object D'art" in your office, mancave, hangar, etc. (see photo).

Then get you a PAI-700 and leave it on the co-pilot's seat. The hangar elves will find it and install it for you. When you go in for annual and your IA says "W(here)TF did that come from?" you just tell him the truth: hangar elves. Then tell him you want him to add a compass swing to the annual and you are good. 

The PAI-700 is really spectacular, like a Mother Nature powered HI!

PAI-700.thumb.jpg.00de670ef7d7b7fb9648a9dfb505844a.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Thanks for the info.  I didn’t know that. 
I think the statute of limitations has reduced my exposure. 

I'm pretty sure you meant your hangar elf's or fairie's exposure.  ;)

I think aircraft spruce sells those Airpath repair kits to an awful lot of non-repair-stations.   A couple non-repair-station IAs gave me useful advice on how to do it, that seemed to have come from experience, about the time that mine was repaired by suitably-talented fairies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HRM said:

I suggest you let it leak out completely and then use it as an "Aviation Object D'art" in your office, mancave, hangar, etc. (see photo).

Then get you a PAI-700 and leave it on the co-pilot's seat. The hangar elves will find it and install it for you. When you go in for annual and your IA says "W(here)TF did that come from?" you just tell him the truth: hangar elves. Then tell him you want him to add a compass swing to the annual and you are good. 

The PAI-700 is really spectacular, like a Mother Nature powered HI!

PAI-700.thumb.jpg.00de670ef7d7b7fb9648a9dfb505844a.jpg

A Radio Shack catalog from the 80s, looks like my office!

• Haha 1

Compass Swing

Although traditionally the compass swings are done on the ground on a painted compass rose. I do mine in flight at about 3000 feet. As a direction reference I use the roads. I verify the road alignment on the maps. Here in Florida they are all referenced to the true north. I pick one that is true north oriented fly the plane parallel to it and adjust the HDG gyro for N + magnetic variation. Then adjust the compass to the gyro indication. I turn the plane to the different headings for compass adjustment. Unlike the ground swing turning the plane in the air is quick and accurate since the compass is calibrated in actual flight conditions. You will surprised about the compass accuracy on approach.

Edited by Gagarin

25 minutes ago, Gagarin said:

Compass Swing

Although traditionally the compass swings are done on the ground on a painted compass rose. I do mine in flight at about 3000 feet. As a direction reference I use the roads. I verify the road alignment on the maps. Here in Florida they are all referenced to the true north. I pick one that is true north oriented fly the plane parallel to it and adjust the HDG gyro for N + magnetic variation. Then adjust the compass to the gyro indication. I turn the plane to the different headings for compass adjustment. Unlike the ground swing turning the plane in the air is quick and accurate since the compass is calibrated in actual flight conditions. You will surprised about the compass accuracy on approach.

Hmm... how do you find roads that are exactly 30 degrees apart? Or are you interpolating everything in between N and S?

• Haha 1

In Canada we have to swing the compass as part of every Annual Inspection.  Like hangars fairies some shops use a “magic pen” to carry out the swing.  We use one of these which is also calibrated annually.

Clarence

41C6551C-04CA-4C70-AFC9-13C632EABF23.jpeg

21 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

FYI

An A&P is not authorized to repair a compass.

It is a job for the hangar elves shh..,.

Strange that an A&P can’t repair a compass, but can overhaul an engine, weld up and airframe and a thousand other things.  Another goofy FAA regulation.

Clarence

Do you remember yesterday, when...

• radios were analog technology
  • displays were mechanical
  • VSIs had a lag
  • MP gauges had a calibrated leak
  • Instruments were vacuum driven
  • the tach had an oil cup
  • A failing vacuum system would cause a disparity between the DG and AI (?)
  • A back up vac system was connected to the engine’s intake system and was driven off manifold pressure... and didn’t work in low MP environments... when the engine was at WOT.
  • A back-up vac system that worked was driven by an electric motor, that drove another vacuum pump, and weighed about 20Lbs
  • Peter Garmin called his BK HSI a Swiss watch
  • Xrays were displayed hanging on a light box

Tomorrow...

• the avionics technicians will be wondering how they got the responsibility to look after a mechanical device like a wet compass...
  • Peter Garmin will be wearing a Garmin digital time piece or maybe even an iWatch... :)
  • Xrays will be displayed on a computer monitor

Everything changes.

PP musings, not an instrument tech or philosophist...

Best regards,

-a-

15 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

How come we don’t have to “swing” our solid state heading sensors the way we do the whisky compass?

Nobody has a calibration card stuck to the G1000 screen, do they?   

You do have to swing magnotometers and make sure they are mounted properly.   Some systems have  performance indicators to go through to see if the mounting location is acceptable.  You just paid the shop to do it with the install.

On the wiskey compass.   I bought a new plastic case.   Fixed it.  Then bought the kit.  Was still leaking.  Mount broke again. Used some ty wraps to keep it going.    Last year found a card compass on ebay.   Got it thought it was broke because it would not swing well.    But then found it needs plane vibration to swing Properly.    There is a brass rod hammered into flat blade screw driver (came with the plane)  hanging on a ty wrap from the Ram Air knob in the plane.   It is possible it could be used turn little NS EW screws.    The card compass is very freaking accurate and easy to see.

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1