I Love Mooneyspace

I realized this morning that visiting Mooneyspace is like having my twice a month morning breakfast meeting with my retired airline captain friends, except MS is daily [if I wish!]. 

At our pilots breakfast, we talk about all kinds of things.  And since one of my friends is a retired United 747 captain and long time Mooney owner/pilot, the conversations can quickly turn to stuff about our Mooney airplanes [we do have a Cirrus owner amongst us, so that's always fun!].

As with any passion, and the particular organizations of which we choose to partake, whether its airplanes, boating, sports cars, motorcycles, music, etc., it is the people that make it truly special.

Admittedly a slow learner in some areas, it wasn't until my first visit to AirVenture in 2008 that I finally realized this.  It was the like mindedness, the camaraderie, the respect, and the passion of it all from the people there that made AirVenture so very special to me.   Just like my pilots breakfast friends and just like Mooneyspace ! 

As I continued to read the Vintage Mooney thread on the door handle replacement topic, and all the associated input from so many on how to skin that cat, it came to me again, just how valuable, fun and exciting our Mooneyspace really is..........such knowledge, information and creativity from everyone!

So, it's the daily "pilots breakfast" for me in the morning, at noontime, during the evenings, late at night, or just whenever....... here on Mooneyspace. 

It is the people and I do love Mooneyspace ! 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

The power of MS is evident 24/7...

Try it at 4:00am...   :)

MSers In Australia get the ball rolling each day. Then Eastern Europeans arrive followed by the Western Europeans and Andrew, from Old England.  The East Coast shows up... with all the New Englanders...

By the time the West coast shuts down late at night... our Australian friends are back in their morning!

Go MS... always awake!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As a two year participant in MS, I have mixed feelings.  Here's why:

The anonymous nature of the site can lend itself to a lack of civility when things go sideways due to either misunderstanding, misinterpretation, misspelling, or sometimes just a strong difference of opinions.   I've learned to try and avoid writing anything that anyone might take the wrong way. 

Some long time members are very friendly, like @carusoam who I'm sure everyone will agree is immediately welcoming, and I agree should be considered the "Dean of MooneySpace". 

In my opinion, this site should abandon the anonymous model.  It will promote civility.   Anonymity brings out the worst in some people.

Secondly, this site should include a FAQ where longstanding threads addressing common and widespread issues with our aircraft should be posted.  Using google to search site:mooneyspace.com frequently turns up a discussion of almost any issue I have.  A thread with hundreds of posts, on a common problem, that is discussed to the point of the equivalent of a peer-review journal paper, should be easy to find.  Sites usually do that by establishing a FAQ section.   That will require one or more active moderators.

Finally, I have learned a tremendous amount.   A good search using google will often show that someone else has been down whatever road I find myself on.   If the answer is not there, or if technological change is the issue, then a well-worded question will often elicit great advice.   The professional folks who participate on MS are often very helpful with regards to mechanical and/or maintenance and/or insurance advice.   @Clarence@Cody Stallings @M20Doc and @Parker_Woodruff immediately come to mind.  They really help our community and  I suspect that many of us have gained from interactions with them and other professionals that choose to answer our questions.

My 2-cents worth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As a two year participant in MS, I have mixed feelings.  Here's why:
The anonymous nature of the site can lend itself to a lack of civility when things go sideways due to either misunderstanding, misinterpretation, misspelling, or sometimes just a strong difference of opinions.   I've learned to avoid anything that anyone might take the wrong way. 
Some long time members are very friendly, like [mention=7104]carusoam[/mention] who I'm sure everyone will agree is immediately welcoming, and I agree should be considered the "Dean of Mooneyspace". 
In my opinion, this site should abandon the anonymous model.  It will promote civility.   Anonymity brings out the worst in some people.
Secondly, this site should include a FAQ where longstanding threads addressing common and widespread issues with our aircraft should be posted.  Using google to search site:mooneyspace.com frequently turns up a discussion of almost any issue I have.  A thread with hundreds of posts, on a common problem, that is discussed to the point of the equivalent of a peer-review journal paper, should be easy to find.  Sites usually do that by establishing a FAQ section.   That will require one or more active moderators.
Finally, I have learned a tremendous amount.   A good search using google will often show that someone else has been down whatever road I find myself on.   If the answer is not there, or if technological change is the issue, then a well-worded question will often elicit great advice.   The professional folks who participate on MS are often very helpful with regards to mechanical and/or maintenance advice.   [mention=7193]Clarence[/mention] ,  [mention=9703]Cody Stallings[/mention] and [mention=7052]Parker_Woodruff[/mention] immediately come to mind.  They really help our community and  I suspect that many of us have gained from interactions with them and other professionals that choose to answer our questions.
My 2-cents worth.

Fred - (I hope you don’t mind me using your first name). I personally don’t think using the Beechtalk model will change things much. I’m sure they still bounce people out for being a jerk. Most of us who have been on the site for a while, know each other not only from MooneySpace but from real live interactions. I think what helped foster this environment were the local Mooney fly-ins, the Summit, the PPPs, Oshkosh gathering, etc. You will notice the people who come onto MooneySpace fall into a category.

They may be doing a drive-by (where can I find this part?find a mechanic?) - only never to be seen again. Or maybe a wannabes (I just got my PPL and I have never sat in a Mooney) and the B breakers (where has Peter Garmin been lately?). Those who remain for some time are people who share a mutual interest in this addiction. And all of them I call friends, Andy, Jerry, Alan, Mike, Hunter, Terry, Josh, Dan, Anthony are just a small portion of the MooneySpacers I have met here and then in real life. Heck, I even consider Peter Garmin a friend.

Besides, the anonymous nature of the site makes it a little easier for those of us at work sneak in a few minutes on MooneySpace.

I do agree the search capabilities of MooneySpace leaves a lot to be desired. My ADS-B Resource thread is only one of a few of stickies. We see a lot of the same questions over and over again. It would be nice if they were grouped or at least improve the search engine to find stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My little story was about the wonderful people here, their contributions and the anytime accessibilty of it all.  Yes, feathers are ruffled occasionally.  I suppose that's to be expected when life's passions are involved.

Yes, there's always room for improvement in anything, including MS.   On we go ! :)

18 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Yes, feathers are ruffled occasionally. 

Frankly, if you are a pilot you need to get your feathers ruffled on occasion, builds character and also tends to tone down that basic pilot's affliction: inflated ego.

Besides, ruffling feathers works for birds, why not pilots?

Ruffled feathers: Birds will ruffle or fluff their feathers during the preening process. This helps remove any dirt or feather dust, and also helps to return the feathers to their normal position. Birds may also be observed fluffing their feathers as a way to relieve tension.

16 minutes ago, HRM said:

Ruffled feathers: Birds will ruffle or fluff their feathers during the preening process. This helps remove any dirt or feather dust, and also helps to return the feathers to their normal position. Birds may also be observed fluffing their feathers as a way to relieve tension.

I’m going to try that !:lol:

I joined as a new but not young pilot to learn more about the brand that captivated me as a young kid in the 80’s and early 90’s when my Dad would taxi his Cherokee on ramps away from our private grass strip.  I loved these Mooneys then and am still entranced with them.  This is a VERY civil forum (even with the recently unruly coin dealer) compared to the automotive forums I used to frequent as a car guy.  The fact it is more of a niche forum helps that.  I’ve aged enough now that I am more tempered in my responses that I don’t care if people see my real name.  I am classified as a wannabe right now, and who knows, once I get into a Mooney, I may find it doesn’t fit my needs for flying my family, but I still love the brand, and appreciate this forum for its wealth of knowledge, inclusion, and brother/sisterhood that it brings. I’m thankful that if/when I ask newbie questions that there are good people here willing to answer them, including if they can let me look at their plane if local.....  

PS, I don’t know if John with a 252 based at KDPA is on here, but if you are, I had fun talking with you that last weekend of October in the hangar. Nice plane!

• Like 1

On November 5, 2019 at 12:50 PM, MooneyMitch said:
I realized this morning that visiting Mooneyspace is like having my twice a month morning breakfast meeting with my retired airline captain friends, except MS is daily [if I wish!]. 

At our pilots breakfast, we talk about all kinds of things.  And since one of my friends is a retired United 747 captain and long time Mooney owner/pilot, the conversations can quickly turn to stuff about our Mooney airplanes [we do have a Cirrus owner amongst us, so that's always fun!].

As with any passion, and the particular organizations of which we choose to partake, whether its airplanes, boating, sports cars, motorcycles, music, etc., it is the people that make it truly special.

Admittedly a slow learner in some areas, it wasn't until my first visit to AirVenture in 2008 that I finally realized this.  It was the like mindedness, the camaraderie, the respect, and the passion of it all from the people there that made AirVenture so very special to me.   Just like my pilots breakfast friends and just like Mooneyspace ! 

As I continued to read the Vintage Mooney thread on the door handle replacement topic, and all the associated input from so many on how to skin that cat, it came to me again, just how valuable, fun and exciting our Mooneyspace really is..........such knowledge, information and creativity from everyone!

So, it's the daily "pilots breakfast" for me in the morning, at noontime, during the evenings, late at night, or just whenever....... here on Mooneyspace. 

It is the people and I do love Mooneyspace ! 

You're such a girl......

hahaha

;);) 

I'm amazed how much I've gotten from this website.  I joined a decade ago after purchasing my former 1967 M20F in 2008 (I joined in 2009).  I sold my M20F and purchased my M20J Missile 300 in 2011.  I was very active for a long time.  As many of you know I couldn't be as active the past few years but absolutely love Mooney Space.  From time to time like any website forum a troll or bad attitude comes along.  We've been pretty lucky compared to some, but it still occurs.  

The information, friends made, and common purpose here make it my favorite website.  Yes, there can always be improvements.  

Thanks to all.

-Seth

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For the life of me, I can't find that pic of the new designed door handle. Regardless, my buddy is making me one. I wonder if the Titanium he is making it out of will increase my payload.:D I will post a pic when it is done.

Love Mooneyspace as well. Learned A LOT in the seven years I’ve been a member since I purchased my Mooney. The combined knowledge about Mooney’s, avionics, flying, etc., is an incredible resource. Search can be a bit tedious, but persistence pays off. I do wish folks would use their names but I can live with the anonymity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 11/6/2019 at 10:24 AM, steingar said:

I hate Mooneyspace. All the guys posting about their projects makes me feel fat, lazy, and stupid.

For me, it's the nice panel pics and new paint jobs that make me hate my plane. Should be a way to block those. :lol:

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2019 at 10:51 AM, Marauder said:

Fred - (I hope you don’t mind me using your first name). I personally don’t think using the Beechtalk model will change things much. I’m sure they still bounce people out for being a jerk. Most of us who have been on the site for a while, know each other not only from MooneySpace but from real live interactions. I think what helped foster this environment were the local Mooney fly-ins, the Summit, the PPPs, Oshkosh gathering, etc. You will notice the people who come onto MooneySpace fall into a category.

They may be doing a drive-by (where can I find this part?find a mechanic?) - only never to be seen again. Or maybe a wannabes (I just got my PPL and I have never sat in a Mooney) and the B breakers (where has Peter Garmin been lately?). Those who remain for some time are people who share a mutual interest in this addiction. And all of them I call friends, Andy, Jerry, Alan, Mike, Hunter, Terry, Josh, Dan, Anthony are just a small portion of the MooneySpacers I have met here and then in real life. Heck, I even consider Peter Garmin a friend.

Besides, the anonymous nature of the site makes it a little easier for those of us at work sneak in a few minutes on MooneySpace. emoji1787.png

I do agree the search capabilities of MooneySpace leaves a lot to be desired. My ADS-B Resource thread is only one of a few of stickies. We see a lot of the same questions over and over again. It would be nice if they were grouped or at least improve the search engine to find stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Glad to have joined as a wannabe (joined a few weeks before taking my first ever training flight) and still sticking around 3 1/2 years and 400+ hours of flying later, almost 350 of which are in my own Mooney.

I've learned a lot and met some great people and made some great friends.

• Like 4