201 Windshield replacement materials

BaldEagle

I have my '78 J booked in next month for a windshield replacement.  I found some good information searching this site but nothing definitive.

Sealant:  It looks like the sealant described in the service manual (R1403-G-B2 or PRC1321-B-2) is now part number CS3330-B-2 (24 hour cure).  However this only seems to be available in red?  That doesn't sound right.  Can anyone recommend a vendor or sanity-check the part number?  Or is a bead of something (not red) applied on top for finishing?

Paint: it looks like some touch up work will be necessary.  I have a paint code (Tan code A033265 / Paint 577-633) but no manufacturer information.  Where are people getting their touch up paint from these days for factory original paint?

Any other materials required (other than CR3212-5-2 cherry rivets)?  The A&P / IA has done this job before (on Mooneys), but not recently so I offered to do the homework.

Best way to get some matching touch up paint is to take an inspection panel to an auto paint supply store and have them color match a pint of 1K enamel. For lighter colors like white and tan, a computer color match comes really close. If you want to get a dark color matched, it's best to give them a day or two to hand match it. You can touch up the rivet heads with a small brush. The 1K paint isn't as hard as 2K (paint + hardener) but you don't have to mix it and for small touch ups it's fine unless you are going to wax and power buff it a lot.

Skip

Pro Seal was what I used to seal the windshield and it's black.  Actually I just removed it and my AP actually did the install.  I purchased the tubes and he used a pneumatic gun to apply the bead around the window...pretty interesting process.  I've attached the table I received from Mooney that covers all the various sealants you can use throughout the plane, not just the windows.

I've also attached some photos of the process and a link below so you can see the sealant tubes.  SkyGeek had the best price at the time I purchased.

https://www.skygeek.com/flamemaster-cs-3247-aircraft-windshield-sealant.html

IMG_7655.jpg

IMG_7627.jpg

IMG_7644.jpg

IMG_7605.jpg

IMG_7606.jpg

SEALANT_CROSS.PDF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

which one of the sealant purchase....is this the one

Screenshot 2019-11-05 18.25.15.png

Open the pdf file I attached from Mooney, all of the appropriate sealant numbers are listed. The one you’ve attached is a different number so I’m not sure what that’s for.