wburger1

1967 M20F Throttle cable broke

Recommended Posts

When doing my preflight I pushed in on the throttle cable and it would not go all the way in so I pulled on it and it broke.  Only one strand of cable was left on it when it came all of the way out.   A&P removing it this week.  I am also replacing the Prop cable.  There were metal filings on top of the throttle cable micro switch back plate which might have got into the cable causing it to deteriorate over time which I assume came from the radio stack installing a radio in the past.  Going to send them to McFarlane to have them built for me.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

If they are original...

They are more than due...

Feel confident with updating all three...

Having a control stop working... there is never a good time for that...

It’s really cool to get new controls...They feel new too...

Best regards,

-a-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McFarlane does a great job. The total for all 3 cables will run about $1000. (McFarlane recommends that the cables should be at replaced about 2000 hours - TBO for engines. We see a lot of panel pics here with what appears to be original, 50 year old cables. IMO that's asking for trouble.) 

It is not necessary to send them the old cables. Remove them from the plane to be able to measure a few critical dimensions to fill out their order form. Email them the forms and save several days of downtime while the cables are traveling to McFarlane.

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/section/services/custom-engine-controls/

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

McFarlane does a great job. The total for all 3 cables will run about $1000. (McFarlane recommends that the cables should be at about 2000 hours - TBO for engines. We see a lot of panel pics here with what appears to be original, 50 year old cables. IMO that's asking for trouble.) 

It is not necessary to send them the old cables. Remove them from the plane to be able to measure a few critical dimensions to fill out their order form. Email them the forms and save several days of downtime while the cables are traveling to McFarlane.

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/section/services/custom-engine-controls/

Bob do you think the spec would be the same for my '64 E's controls? I believe mine are still original... we'll call them vintage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, J0nathan225 said:

Bob do you think the spec would be the same for my '64 E's controls? I believe mine are still original... we'll call them vintage.

Jon, they're probably the same but I would recommend pulling them out to be able to verify the dimensions. Fill out the forms and email to McFarlane. While the throttle and mixture cables connect to the IO360 the same it is possible the firewall holes might have moved. There is some slack so overall length is not critical to 1/2" or more.  

(They manufacture the OEM cables but cannot use the info they obviously have for direct sales. You are replacing the cables with "owner produced parts" and they provide paperwork supporting that.) I think they have STCs for some planes, Cessna, Piper, but not for Mooneys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know they are original.... or old enough...

1) Often they are not in the current ‘standard’ order of operation... throttle, prop, mixture...

2) They have no color.... currently, black, blue, and red denote what the controls are supposed to be for....

3) If they creep due to vibration...

4) If they don’t move smoothly...

5) they typically get checked at annual... but most owners would probably replace them faster than most mechanics say they are due... :)

 

Soooo.... if you got 50 years out of the controls... you can feel good about getting your money’s worth out of them... they might even make some good artwork for your hangar or office...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, carusoam said:

You know they are original.... or old enough...

1) Often they are not in the current ‘standard’ order of operation... throttle, prop, mixture...

2) They have no color.... currently, black, blue, and red denote what the controls are supposed to be for....

3) If they creep due to vibration...

4) If they don’t move smoothly...

5) they typically get checked at annual... but most owners would probably replace them faster than most mechanics say they are due... :)

 

Soooo.... if you got 50 years out of the controls... you can feel good about getting your money’s worth out of them... they might even make some good artwork for your hangar or office...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I have been flying only vintage Mooneys for 25 years and I am used to the  Throttle Mixture Prop order.  But you are correct on needing to replace all three of them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being that it is an "Owner Produced Part" one should really document that THEY had the part made to and by approved procedures (which McFarlane does) for installation on NXXXXXXX, Do this by signing it off in the AIRFRAME log before the A&P signs off the installation. Sign this off with your Pilot License number and name- totally legal for you to do it. This way it documents that the cable was a legal installation as a OPP for the future. 

This is the recommended way for all OPP to be documented.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.