G5. Can an A&P install?

RogueOne

O.K. Vacuum pump is T.U.  Winter is coming.  Gyros on legacy Attitude & HSI have been laying down for six years.  Thinking hard about pulling the trigger on vacuum removal and dual G5 install.  I can buy these at Spruce and my A&P can install, right?  We have an Stec system that with the digital connector will work.  Any gotchas I need to think about?  I have read the “stuff” here and we have a 530W that has a serial to the 330 and also to our portable aera 660.  Did I read something about serial port limitation being a potential issue?

Please don’t try and up sell me to other EFIS.  Just want guidance on limitations for an A&P to install.  Thanks for replies.

1 hour ago, RogueOne said:

O.K. Vacuum pump is T.U.  Winter is coming.  Gyros on legacy Attitude & HSI have been laying down for six years.  Thinking hard about pulling the trigger on vacuum removal and dual G5 install.  I can buy these at Spruce and my A&P can install, right?  We have an Stec system that with the digital connector will work.  Any gotchas I need to think about?  I have read the “stuff” here and we have a 530W that has a serial to the 330 and also to our portable aera 660.  Did I read something about serial port limitation being a potential issue?

Please don’t try and up sell me to other EFIS.  Just want guidance on limitations for an A&P to install.  Thanks for replies.

Where are you located?

Short of the long; yes, A&P can install if he has a pin remover and knows how to write. As others have said, you need the GMU 11, but the wiring harness for the GMU 11 is sold separate so get that as well. Best place we could find to place the GMU 11 was rear of the hat rack, but we didn't have any computer stuff back there, so read the manual about how far away the GMU 11 needs to be away from heavy metal, gyros, and computers. 

Not an A&P but assisted with the install, so feel free to DM if with any questions. 

Dustin

• Like 1

i re-read your initial post.

You can buy the G5 from Spruce or other 

The purchase includes the  STC and you will need to get an authorization specific to your aircraft   

Anyone can do the install but an IA will need to sign off - who does the work does not have to be an A&P - but work is under supervision of the IA who will have to fill and sign the 337 and log entry

Difficulty is a relative word. Difficulties include:

knowing how to read manuals, understand what needs to be done and how to set the configurations.

Wiring, soldering, crimping .... and running the wires to the wing or the back of the aircraft (lots of tools needed) 

the number of ports depends on what you have installed (ports already used),  some can  be spliced if the protocol is the same, and also depends on the GN530W software version 

• Like 1

After perusing here, PoA, BT, etc the average price for dual G5’s with GMU11 and GAD29B hooked to the autopilot and GTN/430W etc is about 10 AMU’s. I received the same napkin quote from my local avionics guy. No free lunch here; the old adage still applies, “avionics installation cost = cost of avionics”. I personally opted to spend the $1100 to have my AI and DG overhauled as my Century needs the AI to function anyways...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

After perusing here, PoA, BT, etc the average price for dual G5’s with GMU11 and GAD29B hooked to the autopilot and GTN/430W etc is about 10 AMU’s. I received the same napkin quote from my local avionics guy. No free lunch here; the old adage still applies, “avionics installation cost = cost of avionics”. I personally opted to spend the $1100 to have my AI and DG overhauled as my Century needs the AI to function anyways...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We shall see on quotes.  I have seen “all in” vary from $7k-9.  The horizon is ez peazy. My A&P can do that no problem.  It is a swap.  The HSI is more involved, but at $80 an hour getting to $4k sounds like a gouge to me.  I would be willing to let my A&P “learn” on ours.

11 hours ago, DustinNwind said:

Short of the long; yes, A&P can install if he has a pin remover and knows how to write. As others have said, you need the GMU 11, but the wiring harness for the GMU 11 is sold separate so get that as well. Best place we could find to place the GMU 11 was rear of the hat rack, but we didn't have any computer stuff back there, so read the manual about how far away the GMU 11 needs to be away from heavy metal, gyros, and computers. 

Not an A&P but assisted with the install, so feel free to DM if with any questions. 

Dustin

Why not in the wing where the King Magnometer currrently recides?

Another option is to pull the vac and only install the AI G5. The 525 hsi is electrically driven with a durable 102 servo in the back. Used replacement parts are dirt cheap right now and you’d have a lifetime supply. 

IIRC you had a backup AI in your panel. Are both vac driven? 

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

Another option is to pull the vac and only install the AI G5. The 525 hsi is electrically driven with a durable 102 servo in the back. Used replacement parts are dirt cheap right now and you’d have a lifetime supply. 

IIRC you had a backup AI in your panel. Are both vac driven? 

The back-up horizon is vacuum.  I want to pull vacuum.  The 525 might be electric power, but it is still mechanical instrument.  Just going to move on to digital.  The redundancy of the screens is a value.  HSI has had a LOT of money spent on it prior to our purchase.  I will let somebody else mess with sorting it.

I just had a new G5 installed.  I was offered a choice between new LEDs on the wing tips, or several hours to reroute the wires to avoid messing up the new magnetometer.  The cost was several hundred dollars either way, but the edge went to the LEDs.

After recently reading an AOPA story about the guy crashing due to going partial-panel, I am really glad to always have the G5 as a backup AI.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RogueOne said:

We shall see on quotes.  I have seen “all in” vary from $7k-9.  The horizon is ez peazy. My A&P can do that no problem.  It is a swap.  The HSI is more involved, but at $80 an hour getting to $4k sounds like a gouge to me.  I would be willing to let my A&P “learn” on ours.

A competent A&P can do it no problem!  Build the harness yourself and it will be cheaper and better quality, most likely.  We just finished one for @Bob R and mounted the GAD and GMU in the rear accessory area above the panel.  Be sure to isolate the Whelen box if you have one and run the ground to the Whelen box to the negative battery terminal.  It will help.  Also use Airframe ground for the GMU and GAD grounds.  One last thing, use ONLY Stainless or Non-Magnetic fasteners within about 12" of the GMU.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@RogueOne I’m sure you’ve seen my G5 DIY thread.  You can expect 8-10 hrs for the AI not including static check.  Expect 20-25 hrs or so for the HSI if you have an autopilot interface more if you need to build tank circuits.  You may need to fashion brackets depending on where you install the GMU.  DM me if you want a Solidworks CAD for a wing sheet metal bracket if you have access to a brake (I don’t anymore).

-brad  

• Like 2