AD'S for Mooney M20E

Htmlkid

Im considering purchasing an 1974 M20E and Im curious about the outstanding Ad's on this plane> Many of them are 100 hour Ad's,, and Im curious how much that adds to the cost of the annual along with if any of these Ad's fail, will there be a huge expense in complying afterwards. The specific ad's are:

73-21-01

75-23-04

85-24-03

15-19-07

76-07-12

17-16-01

The first 3 ADs on your list will cost little to nothing to accomplish on a recurring basis. After a one time action which should have been performed years ago the only continuing requirement I see calls for lubricating (TriFlow) heim bearings which would be done at annual and could be done by the plane owner in the case that you fly more than 100 between annuals. The last 3 are not included in the faa ad list I pulled up for M20E. I did not go looking for the.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/airworthiness_directives/search/?q=mooney+m20e

I have a manual gear '66 E. ADs are not an issue at all. 

What Bob said above.  I own a 64 E and ADs aren't a problem.  Some may have propellers that need crack inspections.  Those can be somewhat expensive.   A 500 hour inspection for cracks is required on the yokes of my E.   Here's some info on the last three ADs.

15-19-07
This AD applies to Lycoming Engines fuel injected externally  mounted  fuel  injector fuel  lines.  Requires a simple visual inspection of clamps and lines on top of the engine. 

76-07-12
AD requires a simple check that the magneto switch works. No cost.  Checks may be performed by the pilot.

17-06-01
I had to Google this one.  Applies to the Ameri-King Corporation Model AK-450-( ) and AK-451- ( ) series emergency locator transmitters (ELTs). 
I'm not familiar with this model ELT, but the AD requires periodic checks.  If it fails replacement may be required. Note I didn't read the whole AD.   
  Good luck on your purchase. I love mine. 

P. S.  I'm not an A&P.

• Thanks 1

Older short body Mooneys got some memorable ADs to comply with...

1) Valve diameters... all we’re swapped out before y2k...

2) oil pump gears... some were aluminum and needed to be changed to steel... done near y2k...

3) Aileron control parts needed a gusset... parts swapped in around y2k as well... a few hundred buck to comply.

4) Prop hub crack inspection came in around 2006(?) 1-2 hundred for annual inspection... (this one is a bit of a pain depending on where your prop shop is...)

5) There are many ways to comply with the prop hub one... annual test, or fill hub with oil, or get a B-hub, or get a new prop...

Overall, ADs and Mooneys don’t happen very often... the most recent ones were for IO550s and LongBody tails... where inspection and log books review were the answer for most of them...  

Part of a PPI is checking the status of AD compliance.  The plane should have a book of all the ADs it has encountered and how they were taken care of... find the AD history for the plane...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1