EarPlugs vs Bose

Gagarin

I found out these rubber ear plugs https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/14-00157.php?clickkey=3008573 together with non ANR headsets provide better noise attenuation than the Bose ANR. Has any of you tried. These plugs also work nicely during an MRI scan. For $5 a set is cheaper and better than the Bose. The COM volume has to be increased to overcome the plugs attenuation 

Those are very similar to Halo plugs (no photo).

These are what I wear at work, they are quite effective. All earplugs are poor at sound reduction unless put properly into your ears; follow the instructions that come with the Halo headset and you'll be fine. 

20190821_165045.thumb.jpg.825f2c875061bff3bda08fbead3613e2.jpg

Several comments...

1.  Be careful about wearing rubber or plastic earplugs.  If they fit properly so that they seal tightly, and then you climb to cruise altitude, during the descent the increasing air pressure can push them further into your ear canal.  I've seen cases where someone needed to have somebody else remove them with needle nosed pliers.

2.  That problem does not happen with disposable foam earplugs.

3.  Yes, I've used them and still do.  I found that with my cheap ANR headset, it was both quieter and easier to understand ATC with foam earplugs and no ANR than it was with just ANR.  I currently use a Bose QC15 headset with a UFlyMike attachment and still wear the foam earplugs.  Very quiet.  I also used them under my helmet while flying in the Air Force.

4.  You can easily re-use the foam plugs several times.  Just get a small case to keep them in and use them until they get too dirty or they 'squish' down too easily (meaning they probably also won't expand very well either).  I'd say maybe 10 flights or so.

Maybe try the Etymotic Research ER20's? They should still allow the pressure changes. I wore these for years in a very noisy environment with constant airbrake blasts next to my face and they probably saved my hearing. 20db reduction.

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/er20.html

Amazon has them now for $14.