A scenario describing how to use CWS / STEC 55X

Could someone describe to me a realistic scenario, say, during any phase of an IFR flight, how one might effectively use the CWS feature? I would really like to understand how I might use this function in the real world. 

Any time you are using the AP and need to make a temporary change...

Otherwise if you overpower the AP it turns itself off and sends out the warning tone to announce it shut-off...

I never used it to the extent it is designed to operate...  it has a few things it can do, but between not using it and time going by, the details  can get forgotten...

There should be a way to set an attitude for climb as we’ll sing the CWS button...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

19 hours ago, Moonbat said:

Could someone describe to me a realistic scenario, say, during any phase of an IFR flight, how one might effectively use the CWS feature? I would really like to understand how I might use this function in the real world. 

There are several uses. One would be on a missed approach. If you are flying a missed, you can hold the CWS until you have the correct climb pitch and any bank to begin the missed. 

I have never found a good use case for CWS since you have to already be in a horizontal and vertical mode before you can use it and there is no ROL mode from the panel.    

to engage you have to already be ready for either HDG or NAV and engage a VS or ALT mode... then use CWS.   So I just use HDG, and spin the bug if necessary. 

If there was a "AP" ie roll mode.. or if CWS would enable the AP from a cold start, then it might be useful.. ie you take off.. set Vy, hold CWS until it engages. 

Instead I have the HDG bug set for the runway heading, take off, arm HDG... click VS, dial in about 700+ and I'm all set for cruise climb.  Then remember to arm ALT capture. 

It appears that there are no compelling scenarios for the use of the CWS switch. The only one I could come up with is also pretty lame. That is, as a way to not have to hear the AP disconnect alarm. So picture this. You're on AP flying along on a flight plan and you need to make a short alteration to your route. You push the CWS button, set a new attitude, and off you go for a minute or two. No "beep - beep - beep - beep - beep" from the AP disconnect. Then, when you are ready to commence the AP flight plan route again, you intercept the leg you were on prior to the CWS interlude, and reconnect the AP with NAV - NAV - ALT. Life is good again.