A few planes for sale including a TN

mike_elliott

From the report

ATIS REPORT: WINDS 31018G26
ON APPROACH TO RUNWAY 35R, PILOT WAS AWARE OF WINDS AND CROSSWIND COMPONENT. PILOT STATES AIRCRAFT WAS CAPABLE OF LANDING WITH CROSSWIND COMPONENT. UPON TOUCHDOWN, AIRCRAFT BALLOONED UP, TOUCHED DOWN A SECOND TIME, BALLOONED AGAIN. PILOT DECIDED TO DO A GO AROUND. BECAUSE OF RAPID MOVEMENT OF POWER CONTROL LEVER, AIRCRAFT DID NOT RESPOND IN A TIMELY MANNER. AIRCRAFT TOUCHED DOWN A THIRD TIME AND RAN OFF OF RUNWAY INTO SAFETY AREA. AS A RESULT OF RUNNING INTO SOFT AREA, NOSE WHEEL COLLAPSED CAUSING MINOR DAMAGE TO COWLING AND PROP.

The tail number mimics the serial number...:)

See where @Alan Fox is on something like this...

I know a particular Acclaim that has had a similar damage experience and seems to be flying quite well...

There is a price for everything...

Beginners need not apply for this project... it is not a first time project.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

-a-

16 hours ago, RLCarter said:

From the report

ATIS REPORT: WINDS 31018G26
ON APPROACH TO RUNWAY 35R, PILOT WAS AWARE OF WINDS AND CROSSWIND COMPONENT. PILOT STATES AIRCRAFT WAS CAPABLE OF LANDING WITH CROSSWIND COMPONENT. UPON TOUCHDOWN, AIRCRAFT BALLOONED UP, TOUCHED DOWN A SECOND TIME, BALLOONED AGAIN. PILOT DECIDED TO DO A GO AROUND. BECAUSE OF RAPID MOVEMENT OF POWER CONTROL LEVER, AIRCRAFT DID NOT RESPOND IN A TIMELY MANNER. AIRCRAFT TOUCHED DOWN A THIRD TIME AND RAN OFF OF RUNWAY INTO SAFETY AREA. AS A RESULT OF RUNNING INTO SOFT AREA, NOSE WHEEL COLLAPSED CAUSING MINOR DAMAGE TO COWLING AND PROP.

do you have a link for that report? ntsb search has nothing for N113TN that I can find. thanks

N113TN was owned originally by Mooney Airplane Company in 2008.

It was used by beloved aviator , and Mooney Director of Sales, Wayne Fischer.  The unique paint scheme was inspired and created by Wayne.

Wayne would bring the plane to, and participate in some of our first Mooney Ambassador events here on the West Coast.

Wayne Fischer was a true gentleman.

In addition, 113TN was one of the last Acclaims produced by Mooney Airplane Company prior to their aircraft manufacturing shutdown in 2008.

Great memories!! :)

11 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

It was later sold to Harry Fischer then to Raghav Mohindra, the current owner, both also true gentlemen. Raghav has to make room for his jets, so it and a few other "toys" are going...

I wonder what it would be like to be in that position (both the multiple jets and true gentleman) 

• Like 2

Just to keep the record straight the Acclaim was repaired by Rocky Mountain Straight Flight and returned to service.  Since the ad did not disclose the damage hard to tell if engine had a teardown inspection and what was replaced.  Plane maybe in great shape but full disclosure is always the best policy.

• Like 2

hi all, i am the current proud owner of this pretty bird. N113TN. the auction was listed as "no damage" in error, by the webmaster (this is being corrected as i am posting this)... we are also in the process of sharing all the logbooks in detail (all pages) online via a web link online. i have personally flown this plane for a total 500 hours (300 hours since the last prop strike). i own and run a very successful medical practice with multiple locations across southwest USA and we are selling 7 of our current 9 planes to make room for the new eclipse jet N778VW arriving to our KGEU hangar on dec 1. we need space and we are hoping that this plane (and all other 6) will find a new suitable home. i know the auction is a strange way to sell a plane, but it is quite effective actually (lots of personal experience with this topic). we did try to sell N113TN via all traditional methods but never got a decent offer !!! the log books will reflect all the love and care we have provided this plane in the last 3 years and that it has a current annual and also, i will be happy to attest that i have flown it almost daily for the last 30 days, in addition to my friend / CFII who flies this plane daily for our business use and we maintain very low personal minimums because we fly doctors and nurses around the southwest AZ for our mobile medical practice.   

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, exM20K said:

do you have a link for that report? ntsb search has nothing for N113TN that I can find. thanks

Answering my own question... I forgot that most gear-ups do not meet the "serious" requirement for NTSB reporting (I think this was covered in the ACY MAPASF-PPP):

https://pilot-protection-services.aopa.org/news/2016/may/04/did-i-just-have-an-accident-or-an-incident

While common sense might suggest that a gear-up landing results in “substantial damage” to the aircraft and is a reportable accident, the definition of “substantial damage” actually excludes typical gear-up landing damage. “Substantial damage” is defined as “damage or failure which adversely affects the structural strength, performance, or flight characteristics of the aircraft, and which would normally require major repair or replacement of the affected component. Engine failure or damage limited to an engine if only one engine fails or is damaged, bent fairings or cowling, dented skin, small punctured holes in the skin or fabric, ground damage to rotor or propeller blades, and damage to landing gear, wheels, tires, flaps, engine accessories, brakes, or wingtips are not considered "substantial damage." Consequently, there is no requirement to report a gear-up landing as long as no one is injured, the damage fits within the definition, and the specific incidents within 49 CFR 830.5 did not occur.

Welcome, if only briefly, to Mooneyspace, Raghav, good luck with the sale, and enjoy the eclipse. I flew one for <1 hour and was amazed.

-dan

3 hours ago, Raghav mohindra said:

i have personally flown this plane for a total 500 hours (300 hours since the last prop strike).

Since the LAST prop strike?  Was their a previous prop strike?  I does not appear that the engine was overhauled after the most recent prop strike.   

26 minutes ago, Ftlausa said:

Since the LAST prop strike?  Was their a previous prop strike?  I does not appear that the engine was overhauled after the most recent prop strike.   

If the engine went through the full prop strike inspection, and otherwise repaired by a quality shop, that is quite sufficient.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raghav mohindra said:

hi all, i am the current proud owner of this pretty bird. N113TN. the auction was listed as "no damage" in error, by the webmaster (this is being corrected as i am posting this)... we are also in the process of sharing all the logbooks in detail (all pages) online via a web link online. i have personally flown this plane for a total 500 hours (300 hours since the last prop strike). i own and run a very successful medical practice with multiple locations across southwest USA and we are selling 7 of our current 9 planes to make room for the new eclipse jet N778VW arriving to our KGEU hangar on dec 1. we need space and we are hoping that this plane (and all other 6) will find a new suitable home. i know the auction is a strange way to sell a plane, but it is quite effective actually (lots of personal experience with this topic). we did try to sell N113TN via all traditional methods but never got a decent offer !!! the log books will reflect all the love and care we have provided this plane in the last 3 years and that it has a current annual and also, i will be happy to attest that i have flown it almost daily for the last 30 days, in addition to my friend / CFII who flies this plane daily for our business use and we maintain very low personal minimums because we fly doctors and nurses around the southwest AZ for our mobile medical practice.   

Welcome sir.  If there was an intentional misrepresentation then that would put me off no matter what the quality of the airplane might be.  Thank you for stepping forward and clearing this confusion up.  Listing errors or other errors of that like can happen to any of us. How we react, is what puts forward good people with good intentions and thank you.

I would not hesitate to buy this airplane if I were in the market. 

Great looking bird too!

And of course as everyone here knows - I like checkers (just like my airplane!)

5 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

If the engine went through the full prop strike inspection, and otherwise repaired by a quality shop, that is quite sufficient.

Well, I think that is a matter of personal opinion whether it is sufficient for a prospective buyer.  Judging from the fact that the plane has apparently been for sale for quite some time, I would argue that it has not been viewed as sufficient by the marketplace to date.  If there have been two prop strikes without an overhaul, I would tend to agree with that market assessment.  I think I would want a new crank shaft if the existing one had been struck twice.  

You are free to disagree regarding what would be acceptable to you.       

15 minutes ago, Ftlausa said:

Well, I think that is a matter of personal opinion whether it is sufficient for a prospective buyer.  Judging from the fact that the plane has apparently been for sale for quite some time, I would argue that it has not been viewed as sufficient by the marketplace to date.  If there have been two prop strikes without an overhaul, I would tend to agree with that market assessment.  I think I would want a new crank shaft if the existing one had been struck twice.  

You are free to disagree regarding what would be acceptable to you.       

I agree that a full over haul including a new crank is more valuable than not doing that.  Then the airplane would fetch a higher price.  I agree the market has not responded to the airplane in its current situation at whatever price was asked.  Everything sells at a price - and it was priced greater than that price if the market did not respond.

What I was saying is that I believe in the procedures that are involved in inspecting a crank and the engine that occur during a prop strike inspection.  If they occurred I would not hesitate to fly this airplane and to buy it at an appropriate price - and I too would only pay a lower price than if it had not had a prop strike, (or two!) and certainly lower than if it had a fresh complete major overhaul.  If I were shopping today and this were priced appropriately, I would buy because I would not hesitate to fly a properly (airworthiness and inspected by a proper engine shop) repaired airplane - and it is gorgeous and I am sure it is modern and fast.  If priced as if it had not had a prop strike, or even close, then no.

Nope, pretty sure this isn’t the first prop strike. 
I looked at this when it was listed a few years ago, and remember a damage history then. 
I also remember it being a bit above the market at the time. 
I assumed it was a function of the paint job, which let’s face it, is a love it or hate it scheme....

my personal hangup with damage history is that there will almost always be a day you want to sell the plane. 
At that point everyone is beating you over the head with damage history...

buy it right, and sell it accordingly, or wait for the guy that doesn’t care.