Any idea where to get a strap, door pull?

On 11/4/2019 at 11:24 AM, PilotCoyote said:

I guess I was lucky- door pull is mounted with machine screws and nut plates in my door. Perhaps the older ones were done this way? I think mine is factory done

I am pretty sure the strap above the visor on the copilot side goes to tapped plates welded to the cage. I can't remember what the door strap is mounted to, but it is certainly not the plastic panel and it is more than sturdy enough to allow you to do what you shouldn't do (slam the door).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gagarin said:

Here is mine with a piece of aluminum bended 4 ways, painted and edge protectors from Pep Boys.

image.png.eeee65ac14be9c477831371da5290b0f.png

That looks good, but not as comfortable as the straps. I also wonder about weight. In other words, why didn't Mooney just use metal handles?  Anyway, you can buy a 'track ready' Porsche 911 (RSR) where the interior is pretty much stripped and the door handles have been replaced by straps---again, for weight saving (although there the entire mechanism is gone).

2013_porsche_911_rsr_6_1600x1200.jpg

Latest Mooneys no longer use the straps but an embedded cavity on the door side panel were you insert your hand. The square handle on mine allows for all fingers to be inserted giving you a stronger grip than the strap. Because is made of aluminum it will last longer than the strap with no noticeable deterioration.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 8:25 PM, HRM said:

Like some others, I made my own (well, wifey did the sewing). I used leather scraps from the upholstery. Worked great--did the door pull AND the one above the visor. Five years later, still look and work great. Used door one today :P

But...did your wife know she was making something for your mistress? :D

• Haha 3

On November 4, 2019 at 11:24 AM, PilotCoyote said:

I guess I was lucky- door pull is mounted with machine screws and nut plates in my door. Perhaps the older ones were done this way? I think mine is factory done

Pretty sure it's factory, mine is the same way

4 hours ago, HRM said:

but it is certainly not the plastic panel and it is more than sturdy enough to allow you to do what you shouldn't do (slam the door).

It's amazing that you tell someone how the door works and they slam the crap out of it 2 or 3 times before they finally here you saying " I just told you not to slam my fricken door".......  I can say that the #8 machine screws that hold the strap are hell for stout 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

It's amazing that you tell someone how the door works and they slam the crap out of it 2 or 3 times before they finally here you saying " I just told you not to slam my fricken door".......  I can say that the #8 machine screws that hold the strap are hell for stout 

I simply explain to my right seat passenger to hold the door strap, leaving the door a jar for ventilation as we taxi to them run up area.  I let them know door closure is unique and that I will secure the door prior to departure.

So far, so good .:D

• Like 3