Any idea where to get a strap, door pull?

Mooney calls it a Strap, Door Pull part number 0511001-129

It appears that Cessna used the same part number and may have been the manufacturer and Mooney just used their parts.  It finally gave way tonight after 55 years.....

I wonder if that company in south Texas has it....does anyone remember the name of that interior company in SAT or know where I can get one of these in red?

Thank you

IMG_1715.jpeg

Just now, TTaylor said:

Hangar elves are good for parts like this (also your local auto upholstery).

yeah I found 3 auto upholstery places in Daytona that could probably do it..

Just so much easier to call get the correct part number from an aviation company and be done....

over the years this strap has stretched and it appears there is enough slack in it to just drill out a new hole but then how much longer will the other side last?  I like new

yeah I found 3 auto upholstery places in Daytona that could probably do it..
Just so much easier to call get the correct part number from an aviation company and be done....
over the years this strap has stretched and it appears there is enough slack in it to just drill out a new hole but then how much longer will the other side last?  I like new

Make your own using a belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All it is is some safety wire going through the inside and looping around each bolt.  I remade mine with some .06 rather than my normal .032 used for just about everything else.  

The leather should be aesthetic only, not structural.   If it’s original, there is some heavy woven textile inside.   Just flatten it and run wire through end to end on one side, then double back and twist so you have the right length around each bolt.   You won’t feel that there is wire inside when out back together.   

Edited by Browncbr1
  • Like 1

I made my own and you should do the same.  The strap Hector makes is too light.  I took a leather belt I bought at a Goodwill type store and had some leather left over from my seats.  I wrapped and contact cemented the the belt to the leather which left only one edge.  I then bought on E-bay some straight leather punches.  They punch holes in the leather and are made in different lengths (3 holes, 5, hols etc in a row).  You then use two round (not pointed as you already have holes in the leather) leather needles with some heavy thread, passing the thread through the pre-punched leather part.  This will give you a sewn look with straight and evenly spaced stitching.  You can hold the leather strap on edge in a clean vise.  Drill an appropriate hole on each end.  Price = next to nothing, and in the end you have learned how to do some leather work.

John Breda

I made mine when I replaced my door panel. It was at that point I noticed the previous owner had used a piece of an old belt to make the ones that were there currently.... (AME was trying to figure out why there were holes halfway down the handle )

5 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I think mine actually has a piece of sheet metal inside it.

I know the grab handles on the door post of the 172 has a thin piece of spring steel, not sure on the Mooneys as mine had been done (or tried) before me

Like some others, I made my own (well, wifey did the sewing). I used leather scraps from the upholstery. Worked great--did the door pull AND the one above the visor. Five years later, still look and work great. Used door one today :P

2134518694_N5976QSpatialInterior108.thumb.jpg.f30a26ac3710a3fe6df1e59770dc2426.jpg585593805_N5976QSpatialInterior113.thumb.jpg.215f38160407775f6ec76953d2d4a901.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marauder said:

One thing to keep in mind is the strength of the mounting hardware. These are usually not attached with bolts through structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I guess I was lucky- door pull is mounted with machine screws and nut plates in my door. Perhaps the older ones were done this way? I think mine is factory done