SOCAL PROTE event KSEE Nov 20-25, '19

Everyone in the SOCAL area is welcome to fly-in to Gillespie Field, San Diego, CA (KSEE) to learn about and experience their own Hypoxia symptoms via a PROTE flight. The

Portable Reduced Oxygen Training Enclosure (PROTE) simulates the conditions at 25,000' using a gas mixture. You do have to register and sign up for 45 min slot in advance as well as have and bring your FAA Medical or Basic Med - we just got approval to allow Basic Med for PROTE participation. The event is a multi-day event starting Wednesday morning and going through Sunday noon. Each morning through Saturday at 9am we will have a Hypoxia Academic session for 90 minutes and each evening at 5pm their is a Fatigue and Sleep Deprivation session for 60 min; both given by the staff of CAMI. Sunday is limited to PROTE flights only 9am-noon. Each of these is a separate signup and each comes with Wings credits.

Here are the 3 FAA SPANS announcements with instructions to sign up:

Portable Reduced Oxygen Training Enclosure (PROTE) event: https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event_details.aspx?eid=92648 

Hypoxia Classroom Presentation session event: https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event_details.aspx?eid=96581

Fatigue and Sleep Deprivation Impacts on Pilot Performance session event: https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event_details.aspx?eid=96583

(No medical is needed for the two classroom presentations.)

You are welcome to fly-in. Its a short walk to the event from transient parking at the Terminal. 

Sign-up soon to get a slot at your preferred times.

See you there,

Paul

PROTE.pdf

Edited by kortopates
now allowing Basic Med
  • Like 2

Paul,

With the proliferation of basic med... many of us going this way.

Any idea why the Prote rejects basic med pilots? (Most likely the very low O2 environment of the simulated 25k’)

More importantly, can we get the basic med pilots the prote training?

I got rejected at Mooney Summit this year.... I would really like to get the training on the ground...

Best regards,

-a-

Perhaps if everyone were to lobby CAMI to have this rule changed, it would. Arguments could be made that basic med is overseen by a MD. You can directly ask Don Demuth who runs the PROTE program how to get this CAMI requirement changed and who would be the one to start the process. Don.DemuthATFAA.gov

The Mooney Summit spent a bit over $20 for ea person taking a PROTE flight at the Summit to have the unit unloaded an put back on the truck as it required getting a hard to find fork lift with 12' forks in PCB, where most equipment has been rented out for some time because of the previous years hurricane. It was well worth it knowing that it truly helped a great many of us understand our hypoxia symptoms. The brief given by Major Mari Metzler was superb.

Paul, please tell Don and his great crew hi.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

[mention=7104]carusoam[/mention] CAMI got approval for Basic Med so we are now able to accept your Basic Med - bring it or a copy of it to the event! I'll update the above announcement/post.

All I know is that this has been in the works for long time but they now finally have approval so future PROTE events will allow Basic Med as well.

[mention=11242]mike_elliott[/mention]My CAMI contact is Don as well, but Don said Basic Med approval came from a Dr Berry. Will pass the Hi onto Don & his crew.

• Thanks 1

Paul @kortopates, I signed up for Friday at 1330. The below screen capture illustrates the FAAST registration specifically precludes Basic Med, which I have. I registered and selected Third Class medical based upon your above post that Basic Med is allowed. Please confirm... I'd hate to take an opportunity away from someone with a non-basic med certificate. 

image.png.4b72daaaf1c730d966b4815b729d115d.png

• Like 1

Paul [mention=7862]kortopates[/mention], I signed up for Friday at 1330. The below screen capture illustrates the FAAST registration specifically precludes Basic Med, which I have. I registered and selected Third Class medical based upon your above post that Basic Med is allowed. Please confirm... I'd hate to take an opportunity away from someone with a non-basic med certificate. 
image.png.4b72daaaf1c730d966b4815b729d115d.png

Perfect Jon, you're good. I don't know how long it will take to get it updated to say Basic Med as well - we just got approval for it this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

For all...

It is better to sign up and reserve a spot...

At the summit, I was concerned about the exact timing of my reservation... and accidentally occupying a spot...

In the end... the timing of all things is typical aviation fluid...

Don’t wait for everything to be perfectly aligned.

Also Consider how low O2 may affect you personally...

I was thinking... if it affects me in the Prote... I would rather know this on the ground, with supervision, in a training environment, than at 14.5k’, Alone With an AP...

If you find my plane wandering off the coast in a very slow descent... know that I have flown East, with intention...  flying west is sooo permanent.

:)

Best regards,

-a-