Full set of gear tools

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tcraft938 said:

Which model Mooney are these for. LASAR has some for sale but only two pieces. Thanks

There are four pieces pictured.  The two larger ones with the screws are compression tools for replacing pucks.  The two smaller ones, just solid pieces of metal, are for checking the gear rigging preload with a torque wrench.  

9 minutes ago, craigsteffen said:

Wait, you sold *yours* or someone else sold a set?  Are these still available or not? 

Never mind.  Damn and blast.  I now see there's an eBay auction with this same photo that sold recently.  I totally would have bought them if I'd seen it.  I had a busy couple of weeks getting ready for a conference and wasn't checking my eBay alerts. 

*sigh*

3 hours ago, craigsteffen said:

There are four pieces pictured.  The two larger ones with the screws are compression tools for replacing pucks.  The two smaller ones, just solid pieces of metal, are for checking the gear rigging preload with a torque wrench.  

Thanks for providing me with the education.  I'm a new owner of a 63 M20C.  Annual will be coming up in January, so I want to make sure I have what is needed.

On 11/27/2019 at 4:33 PM, Tcraft938 said:

Thanks for providing me with the education.  I'm a new owner of a 63 M20C.  Annual will be coming up in January, so I want to make sure I have what is needed.

Hey, welcome to the club!  

We can take this discussion elsewhere, but in short, the two smaller pieces are used to check the gear preload every annual.  The square holes are size for a torque wrench.  

The bigger ones are only used to replace the gear shock pucks.  Hopefully you only need that every 10 years or so.  You should have a general idea how close you are to replacement by looking at the date code on the pucks--but presumably you have that knowledge from your pre-buy inspection.  

On 11/29/2019 at 5:19 PM, craigsteffen said:

Definitely hang on to them.  They're used to check the gear pre-load at annual and at 100-hour inspections.

That is the exact reason why I would like to purchase the two pieces.  I checked LASAR and they are sold out of one of them.  With Mooney now closed, are there other good sources?  Thanks

18 hours ago, Tcraft938 said:

That is the exact reason why I would like to purchase the two pieces.  I checked LASAR and they are sold out of one of them.  With Mooney now closed, are there other good sources?  Thanks

I have a set of the small ones I can sell

23 hours ago, bradp said:

Alan there used to be a website that rented the gear tools separately (compression and preload).  You could do that I guess. 

No thanks , Kind of like renting Beech Yokes , Not into chasing my property all over the country...

22 hours ago, hammdo said:

I’d like to get a set of these. LASAR only has the fronts. I like doing owner assisted annuals so having these (small ones) would be nice. If you have/come across more, please let me know...

-Don

I have about 6 main tools in stock and one nose tool. These are brand new manufactured by me. Same price for the set as LASAR if you’re interested. 
David