What old people can accomplish

So, today, I was the last man (for the fourth  time in five work sessions) finishing up number 5 of five concrete pours on our chapter hangar.  A 75’ x 70’ EAA Chapter hangar, broken down into 5 manageable pours for a total of 125 yards of cement, I actually finished the day in under 14 hours of time (pour #4 was an 18 hour day).   Thank god my wife is understanding, as her honey do list was pushed off for this late fall project.  

Dedicated old men shouldn’t be messed with!!!

Tom

1DC9B691-E198-4CC7-99A0-F148BA2E284B.jpeg

434CD2C4-0A5D-438E-9F8B-C14F88B78007.jpeg

6BC3E7D6-975F-4533-95F1-DE39B75A5CA2.jpeg

57B59BB2-B35B-4A9F-B814-246054846AF0.jpeg

07D0271C-6B27-4798-BEB5-6DF367997108.jpeg

• Like 8

I remember when we moved to AZ when I was 18. My grandparents came to visit, my grandpa would have been 81, and had worked hard his whole life. (Was still driving to the farm up in the mountains at age 90 to take his water turn with the irrigation) 

Anyway, we had to dig huge holes for the citrus trees going in (mature trees in boxes). I was worn out, taking a break, and there was grandpa still digging away. One of the greatest men I've ever known, along with the sons he raised, one of whom I'm lucky to call my dad. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Tom that is some epic work. Is that a special concrete mix for the cold weather? How thick is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first 4 pours were 6 bag mix with ash and fiber, warm water for number 4.  But, the temps were dropping for every pour and number 4 was a bitch.  It was 8 hours before I could get the power trowel on it and the temps were dropping fast.  I ended up hand troweling the entire slab so I could get Styrofoam on it before it cooled down too much.  The slab was in the 50's the next morning, despite outside temp of 22 degrees.  The one we did yesterday had 1% chloride added to it (I cried uncle).  That helped a ton as I was done troweling be 6 PM and had it insulated, tools clean, and was driving home by 7 PM.  

Tom