FAA gov't ID must be RealID?

RobertGary1

26 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Right, that is an alternative but doesn't answer the question if RealId is required.

-Robert

Not if you use a passport.   there is legal authority and guy that can mess up your trip authority.

5 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Not if you use a passport.   there is legal authority and guy that can mess up your trip authority.

In California that is not required is the difference. You can legally drive even if you don't meet the residency requirements of RealID (or passport).

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1

A little history lesson-

Before the TSA when thy brought out screening for weapons at airports the first iteration of the law (and it was fought for quite substantially)

was that you did NOT have to show ID or identify yourself if you didn't want to you just had to undergo a more stringent pat down.

When TSA was brought into the mix the only way they could get it passed by Congress was to say that the people doing the screening would not be able to wear a badge of any kind AND they would never be able to unionize

Now they wear badges and they are unionized. Mission Creep at its best. 

Be careful out there. Last week they were flipping burgers and this week they can have you arrested- AND THEY KNOW IT!

Yes I'm opinionated after decades of working around the system. 

Any system that fails over 95% of the time in its primary mission doesn't need to be there. 

You have to pay the DMV in AZ to get the Real ID on your license. 

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Right, that is an alternative but doesn't answer the question if RealId is required.

-Robert

You don't have to be a US citizen or resident to have a valid FAA license.  It cannot be mandated.

Edited by pwnel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Does Texas require you to have legal residence to have a driver's license?

-Robert

1 hour ago, RLCarter said:

I believe so, but not 100% on that 

They did not in the past, but do now.

I carried a Texas DL with my Alabama address on it from 2001 when I moved to Alabama until 2011, but when I went to renew it, they required a Texas address as your principal residence where you received mail. Only exception is military.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

In California you can choose. Many are opting for the non federally compliant one because you don’t have to wait 3 hours at dmv and collect all the paperwork. 

-Robert

I did not have to wait three hours and all of the paperwork was routine, already in my possession, and easy to assemble.  Getting my Real ID here in California was very easy.  A non-event.

8 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

I did not have to wait three hours and all of the paperwork was routine, already in my possession, and easy to assemble.  Getting my Real ID here in California was very easy.  A non-event.

Have you gotten the letter yet that they were not asking for the correct paperwork and you have to verify your residence address again?

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article229024939.html

-Robert

1 minute ago, RobertGary1 said:

Have you gotten the letter yet that they were not asking for the correct paperwork and you have to verify your residence address again?

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article229024939.html

-Robert

Nope.  That story looks like it was posted back in April.  They've been asking for the correct information for a while now, and it took virtually no effort for me to assemble a package of documents that proved everything they wanted in about five different ways.  It was all stuff I already had on hand.  Like I said, a total non-event.  I was in there and out in less than an hour, and my ID came in the mail about 10 days later.  Simple.

In 2011 I was on an ANA flight and they had the cutest silverware, so I dropped them in my laptop bag. The steak knife has been in there ever sense. It has been through TSA a couple of hundred times. I figure if they ever find it I will just say "Oh crap I forgot to take that out! Thanks for finding it."

4 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

Nope.  That story looks like it was posted back in April.  They've been asking for the correct information for a while now, and it took virtually no effort for me to assemble a package of documents that proved everything they wanted in about five different ways.  It was all stuff I already had on hand.  Like I said, a total non-event.  I was in there and out in less than an hour, and my ID came in the mail about 10 days later.  Simple.

"Your papers, please!"  And, you are here to tell us that is, "a total non-event," and are, apparently, only too happy to comply with gathering them all up. History is lost to many, I'm afraid.

Sad:(

• Like 1

I am sure like a lot of government agencies, the TSA is an easy target and I must say there are times I am less than pleased. To large extent but not entirely, there is security theatre, but that is layered upon some conduct of real value. One day I was PIC of a flight that resulted in a new regulation, that was the removal of O2 generators from lavatories.  I can tell you that very good people from TSA were of great assistance. When you actually have had a "probe mission" ran against your aircraft by enemies of the United States the purpose, mission and efficiency of TSA becomes very apparent.

The real reason for "non real id" DL is political mostly having to do with immigration policy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeOH said:

"Your papers, please!"  And, you are here to tell us that is, "a total non-event," and are, apparently, only too happy to comply with gathering them all up. History is lost to many, I'm afraid.

Sad:(

Respectfully, we’re talking about government issued documents they already know about and utility bills to confirm your address. Leave me out of this narrative, please. 

• Like 1

Real ID is a joke. When I started as a bureaucrat enforcer we were told that it was going into full effect in 2008. Fast forward to now and it’s still a joke and the law still has no teeth. I mean, we have people using cheap photocopies of official documents (passports, drivers licenses, birth certs) to cross the international border and there is nothing that can truly be done to stop that. The only ones pretending to “enforce” the law are certain TSA sticklers. The absolute best example of a failure is when a state DMV accepts the shoddiest “proof” of citizenship (horrible photocopy of a birth Cert or passport) in order to issue said person with an Enhanced ID/Driver License that official declares them to be a US Citizen. Don’t even get me started on the Canadian Indigenous and Northern Affairs (INAC) cards. They are absolute crap and use cheap polaroids and are HAND WRITTEN. Best INAC ID card I saw had a photo of a guy wearing a trucker hat, sunglasses, and holding a beer. I’m not making that up. The Crown should be embarrassed of themselves for mishandling such program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well when BUS LOADS of people go from poll to poll it becomes a serious consideration. It is a serious issue in 3rd world countries too (hence the purple dyed thumbs).
I guess we have the draw the line somewhere for the Real ID act but one would think that it would first apply strictly at the international border before the TSA would turn into the Real ID Reise Schutzstaffel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe some one posted the regs:

(2) Has a photo identification that is in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that pilot certificate or authorization. The photo identification must be a:

(i) Driver's license issued by a State, the District of Columbia, or territory or possession of the United States;

I'm not a lawyer, but to me the answer is obvious.  Was your drivers license issued by a state and does it have a photo?  If so you should be good.  I'd even suggest an expired license  might qualify, as it was once issued by a State and meets the wording of the regulation.

Personally I have a passport card that I keep with my pilots certificate.   There are some words on it saying something to the effect of good for domestic air travel.