Looking for Transition Training M20

Skiddster

I am a new pilot (around 70 hours) and just started working on my instrument rating.  Most of my flying has been in Cherokees and Archers with my tail wheel endorsement in a Champ.

I am currently building a Vans RV7A and want to purchase a plane to fly now while working on the RV and also to use in my instrument training.  I will be flying for work trips typically within 250 nm but up to 600nm on occasion.  Of course I will be flying for fun any chance I get.

I have set my mind on a Mooney and I am shopping for one now.  This will be my first plane purchase, besides the RV.  I am really open to any models C - K that will fit my needs and price range.

I live in middle Georgia and I am looking for someone in the area that can provide some transition training.  If anyone knows of anyone in the area that can provide the transition training, it would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome aboard Skidd.

We have a few MSers in GA.

And I know there is at least one really good MSC down that way...

Having a Mooney while building something else... is a great idea...

The last guy to do that took more than a decade to complete... He posted a few pics earlier today in his little project... with ground speeds exceeding 400... find Tom in the today’s flight thread...

The lesson learned... pick a good Mooney to fly now, and for a while...

The right Mooney, makes a great IFR platform.

Check this list for Mooney Instructors... It is a common place for Mooney CFIIs to hang out a shingle...

https://themooneyflyer.com/cfi.html

:)

Welcome aboard and best regards,

-a-

Depends on how much you want to spend. My first Mooney was a '65 E. It was awesome and perfect for 350NM XCs. That thing cruised at 155kts burning 10.5 gph ROP. The C is also great. F has a little more room.

If you've got the money to spend Mooney's only get faster from there.

Fly Safe,
Safety Forum Mod

Hey, Skiddster, I'm in Atlanta.  Let's see if I can help.  I'll send you a PM with contact info.  Most of my time is in various Mooneys and probably half my instructor time is in Mooneys.  Happy to provide my resume.

As mentioned, the C is quite a different plane than a K each with their pluses and minuses.  Btw, the RV7 is a nice little speedster.

William

Thanks for the responses and the link to the Mooney CFI's!  I will touch base with Jim in Atlanta and see if I can work something out.

I don't have a deadline on my build or anything.  I just love building things and it was a project my twin brother and I were doing together before he passed.  I will complete the project in his honor no matter how long it takes.

• Like 2