New Ovation owner, seeking adivice on what most of you run LOP or ROP and why

bg8810

1) Climb out...ROP... Leaning with altitude change... using Blue box method (EGT)... white box if you have G1000...

2) LOP or ROP is measured °F, from peak...

3) A well balanced IO550 will go 90+°F LOP down low... 5k’ or so... before it gently turns off... at 12k’ it may turn off near 50°F LOP...

4) Full power climbs are best done ROP, as the mixture is changing with altitude... climb time doesn’t warrant the extra risk of going LOP... it can be done... report back if you have success doing it...

5) LOP...

• Oil stays cleaner longer
  • CHTs stay lower... nice and healthy
  • fuel burn is about 2gph less, on 10kias less
  • POH for the O and STC for the 310hp... defines the operating conditions extremely well...

6) +1 for StevenL’s input... he has a great resource, and excellent memory for these details...

7) There are also some cooling discussions around for cht#5....

PP thoughts of aging memories...

Join the O club!

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RogueOne said:

What RPM are you running with LOP operation?  Missile  Shows 65% @ MSL with 22”MP 2350RPM and 15.7gph

55%@7500 19MP 2250RPM 13.9gph

65%@12500 20MP 2550RPM 15.7

55%@12500 18MP 2250RPM 13.9GPH

POH does not reference % LOP or %ROP..

Thanks for your numbers

IO550 Missile

Not 100% but those look like around 75deg ROP numbers.  I have IO550-A's in the 310R, at 65% roughly 21MP 2400RPM I am burning 12.5-13GPH per side LOP with GAMI's.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2019 at 9:32 AM, GeeBee said:

Just a question, is anybody running LOP with Electro Air ignition? I am interested is how an IO-550 does LOP with an advancing ignition system.

A few MSers have gone electronic ignition... on one mag...

Mostly on IO360s...

I don’t recall anyone with an IO550 using an electronic mag yet...

@StevenL757 might know an answer to electronic mags, LOP, and IO550...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks @carusoam, unfortunately I haven’t run into anyone with this config in an IO550-powered airplane...especially an Ovation or Eagle.  I did come close a few years ago to jumping on the then-TCM FADEC option, but this was discontinued, and I never followed up since.  If I see or hear of anyone having this installed, I’ll report here unless someone beats me to it.

Steve

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 8:37 AM, MarkD34M said:

Are you guys running 75% power and then going LOP or starting at something somewhat less like 65% or 70%. I flew my (new to me Ovation) LOP the other day and it was smooth - 12.3 GPH and 168 knots but leaned from a 65% ROP configuration to LOP. Thoughts / feedback?

+ another one for those figures. On a trip @ 8000-10,000 I'll run wide open throttle, 2500,  ROP leaning on EGT on the climb. Once on top I'll leave it and let it get some speed up then set rpm to 2400 and do a mixture pull to around 12.3 gph (65%) and let it settle down. I'll plan 165 (we are generally ISA +10) but this typically gives ~168kts. If I want to go a bit quicker I'll go to 2500 (+4%) and for more go closer to peak keeping an eye on the numbers. At 8000 + there's not much you can do to hurt the engine as you don't have the MP .

I generally leave that mixture setting alone until short final and vary power on rpm or MP. One of our guys does do flat cruise climbs LOP for long trips and doesn't see any temp issues.

If I'm on a low level sight seeing trip I'll still pull to LOP but make sure I've only got 22-23 MP. Once set LOP I don't have any issues varying MP and/or rpm and staying smooth while keeping cool.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 12:53 PM, carusoam said:

A few MSers have gone electronic ignition... on one mag...

Mostly on IO360s...

I don’t recall anyone with an IO550 using an electronic mag yet...

@StevenL757 might know an answer to electronic mags, LOP, and IO550...

Best regards,

-a-

I cannot comment on how an IO-550 might run lean of peak with electronic ignition replacing one magneto. My ‘83J has an A3B6 engine and the EIS 40000 electronic ignition in place of the right mag. This airplane is new to me, but I think the electronic ignition is great starting about 11,000 feet. The spark advances and more horsepower is available than otherwise at higher altitude. At lower altitudes I am able to run lean of peak at 65% power for 150 knots true at 7.7 gph. I will refine these numbers as I get more time in this plane.

• Like 1