Lubricating speed brakes

PT20J

The Precise Flight ICA calls for lubricating the gears annually. I couldn't find any indication that mine had been lubed since they were sent to the factory for overhaul by the previous owner seven years ago. The ICA calls for removal to lube, but that's not really necessary. I found that by removing the bottom plate I could inspect the worm and worm gear. They were dry. I was able to access the sector of the gear that needed lube by raising the speed brakes and applying Aeroshell 22 to the gears with a long Q-tip. The design is such that the gears are exposed to water coming in from the top of the wing which can wash out the grease. If the airplane is left outside in the rain at all, an annual lube is a good idea.

Skip

541SMAN0001D.pdf

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

The Precise Flight ICA calls for lubricating the gears annually."...............If the airplane is left outside in the rain at all, an annual lube is a good idea

Isn't it required to lube them annually?