Trying to confirm that I have the correct tube & dipstick for O-360 A2D

My engine has an aluminum dipstick tube with no adapters attached ( I think that maybe it is a product made by Superior?)... and a dipstick with no bushing near the bottom of the stick, unlike the one depicted in the Lycoming parts manual.

Has anyone measured their tube top to bottom, from gasket surface to gasket surface? And their dipstick as well?

Unable to find these dimensions in the Lycoming OH Manual, Parts Manual, Lycoming Operators Manual, or the Lycoming TCDS....but it must be published sowmewhere?

O-360 A2D

Any help appreciated...

C2F79F92-FB9E-429A-9250-A05470D3BBC3.png

6 hours ago, Hank said:

You have an -A2D? My M20-C has an O-360-A1D, and the dipstick is quite straight without that bulgy-looking thingy at the bottom.

The A2D came with the original factory M20Ds - only difference I think is that this engine is missing the accessory case fitting for a prop governor.  Obviously the engine must have been converted at some point.  I wondered about that bulgy-looking thing in the diagram too. What is that?!

Edited by DXB

43 minutes ago, Shiny moose said:

So many people making changes over the years, without using proper research and documenting what they have done.

If your concerned about oil quantity, during next oil change, after letting each quart settle, make YOUR mark on the dipstick, 4,5,6,7 Quarts 

You are most Correct. I used an oil priming system to prime everything and fill the case (engine had been sitting while) so I don’t know exactly how much was in the bottom of the case, and didn’t think this might be an issue. Next oil change is this weekend, so I’ll find out then... and post results here.

• Like 1

Let me share some of my findings on the infamous oil stick. First, whomever designed the bottom O ring design is hopefully not working on other devices that shouldn't leak. That O ring has been problematic and as we all know, a little un-contained oil goes a long way to cover the engine compartment.

I recently replaced a cylinder and being the anal retentive guy I am, I wanted to accurately measure how much oil I was consuming during the break-in period. The challenge with the stick is that you really need to let the plane sit for a quite a while to get an accurate quantity reading. On top of that, I learned the stick is not linear! At least mine isn't. I took the time to measure and make additional witness marks for the 5 and 7 quart spots. What I discovered is that where "5" should reside on the stick is not exactly the middle point between the 4 and 6 hash marks. Found this out when I was at "5.5" quarts on the stick and added 0.5 quarts from a bottle. I was expecting the oil level to show up at the "6" mark. The new oil level (after sitting for a day) was now at 6.25 quarts.

I've determined that the best the stick could do is provide a "it's close to this" indication.

6503c9f6074a15256f8d296b37462dea.jpg

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Let me share some of my findings on the infamous oil stick. First, whomever designed the bottom O ring design is hopefully not working on other devices that shouldn't leak. That O ring has been problematic and as we all know, a little un-contained oil goes a long way to cover the engine compartment.

I recently replaced a cylinder and being the anal retentive guy I am, I wanted to accurately measure how much oil I was consuming during the break-in period. The challenge with the stick is that you really need to let the plane sit for a quite a while to get an accurate quantity reading. On top of that, I learned the stick is not linear! At least mine isn't. I took the time to measure and make additional witness marks for the 5 and 7 quart spots. What I discovered is that where "5" should reside on the stick is not exactly the middle point between the 4 and 6 hash marks. Found this out when I was at "5.5" quarts on the stick and added 0.5 quarts from a bottle. I was expecting the oil level to show up at the "6" mark. The new oil level (after sitting for a day) was now at 6.25 quarts.

I've determined that the best the stick could do is provide a "it's close to this" indication.

6503c9f6074a15256f8d296b37462dea.jpg

Yeah, I don't have the lower o-ring setup on my dipstick... and was wondering if I was supposed to have it.

Holy crap- the markings on your stick are about twice as close as mine- I'll have to measure it and take a pic this weekend, but the distance between the 4 and the 6 qt mark has to be at least twice on mine...strange.  I will definitely be measuring it out when I do the oil change.... [EDIT]- I just saw that you have an IO engine- they have a different sump, so I expect the stick would be different from mine.

Edited by PilotCoyote
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PilotCoyote said:

Yeah, I don't have the lower o-ring setup on my dipstick... and was wondering if I was supposed to have it.

Holy crap- the markings on your stick are about twice as close as mine- I'll have to measure it and take a pic this weekend, but the distance between the 4 and the 6 qt mark has to be at least twice on mine...strange.  I will definitely be measuring it out when I do the oil change.... [EDIT]- I just saw that you have an IO engine- they have a different sump, so I expect the stick would be different from mine.

The angle valve and parallel valve engines have different cases. I wouldn’t be too surprised.