Electric step conversion.

2 hours ago, drapo said:

Is there some kind of nod of an adjustment on the electric step conversion? My AME installed one on another M20E and it wouldn't extend all the way out when he adjusted it to go all the way in. @takair ?

There is a turn buckle and a spring that allow for the adjustment. The turnbuckle should be set so the step goes to the down stop. This usually sets it so that it will come all the way up, potentially loading the balance spring a little. If they can’t get it set correctly best for them to call me or email me. Pictures are always helpful. The existing sheet metal cover and skin may cause some variation. These are on the crude tolerance side. 

7 hours ago, takair said:

There is a turn buckle and a spring that allow for the adjustment. The turnbuckle should be set so the step goes to the down stop. This usually sets it so that it will come all the way up, potentially loading the balance spring a little. If they can’t get it set correctly best for them to call me or email me. Pictures are always helpful. The existing sheet metal cover and skin may cause some variation. These are on the crude tolerance side. 

Could you PM pricing to me. I may try to install early next year. 

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

Starting to look like everyone with a step is going to prefer the electric version over the vacuum or wind-up driven mechanism...

Need to start working on hiding the fixed step...

Best regards,

-a-

Looking for someone local willing to let me take measurements and maybe drill some holes.  Haven’t sold near enough to upgrade from my E. 

11 hours ago, takair said:

Looking for someone local willing to let me take measurements and maybe drill some holes.  Haven’t sold near enough to upgrade from my E. 

Upgrading from an E? Is that ever possible ??? ;) :D

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

Starting to look like everyone with a step is going to prefer the electric version over the vacuum or wind-up driven mechanism...

Best regards,

-a-

My wife is horrified every time I reach over to crank something on the wall before we start the engine....

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

Best regards,

-a-

It is on my list and has been for quite some time. I thought it was going to be done last year, but in the time since I put it on the list of "to do's" I've:

• Replaced the governor
  • Replaced Carb
  • Replaced oil cooler lines
  • Replaced oil cooler
  • Replaced exhaust
  • Replaced  carb heat box
  • Re-sealed prop
  • Replaced transponder (Narco 150 replaced with GTX 335)
  • Replaced throttle/mixture/prop cables

The electric step is still on the list, hopefully the beginning of next year.

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, DCarlton said:

Anybody bought one of these lately?  Their web site seems unresponsive.  Could just be a network or server issue on their end.  

Thanks for pointing it out.  Looks like my web hosting service is having internal issues.  Not sure how long this has been going on, will try to call them tomorrow if no progress today….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheAv8r said:

Looking to pick up one of these for my E, are you still offering a Mooneyspace special? @takair

I just realized this was an older thread.  We are no longer offering the discount.  Many of the components had price increases so we had to make some adjustments while trying to keep the kit price reasonable.

14 hours ago, takair said:

I just realized this was an older thread.  We are no longer offering the discount.  Many of the components had price increases so we had to make some adjustments while trying to keep the kit price reasonable.

No worries :) . Thanks for the reply! I'll order one off the website soon.

My 1970 Mooney M20E had a gear collapse in the '90s (bad gears in the landing gear actuator) which resulted in belly repairs and in particular a repair/replacement of the step. The step is now fixed (not retracting), and I was told it is from a later model plane (at least that's what I understand). Since I would enjoy a gain of 2-3-4 knots, I would be interested in maybe installing the electric step kit.

Does anyone know how I can figure out if my original Mooney came with a retractable step, and if the change to fixed step is reversible? I attach a couple of pics of the inside of the plane where the step attaches.

IMG_6514.jpg

IMG_6530.jpg

@bluehighwayflyer: thanks for the information; as long as my plane came with a fixed step I am happy to leave it that way.

I have wondered myself about there being a crack there. It seems that it may be from the gear-up many years ago. I can't find the relevant picture, but I seem to remember seeing a reinforcement plate on the other side of the crack in some other picture I got from the pre-purchase inspection. The mechanic who did the prebuy said he was not concerned about it (this was Jimmy Garrison's mechanic at GMax). The step feels rock solid, so I chose not to worry much about it -- do you think I should?