Electric step conversion.

1 minute ago, chriscalandro said:

I've been to the site but I'm not sure I could find order information. I'll look again. 

Does it have an STC? Can I wire it to a switch or its own breaker or is that against the STC?

Hi Chris

Anthony’s alert worked.   If you go to the link Anthony included you will find our web site and then click on “Contact/Order”. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Rob

I had this installed.  Connected to the Roatating beacon.  Its slow but solid.  I did this after I got rid of the vaccum system removed after Dual G5 installation.  IT was expensive to install $400 for the kit, and 6 hours of work at $100/hr.  So 1 AMU for the install but I never worry about it.

I rarely use my step mainly due to mice using the step as an entry point into the aircraft. When I do deploy the step I usually forgot to retract it and then scratch my head during cruise trying to figure out why my TAS is only 134.4 KTS. I did just that yesterday afternoon. 

Just now, chriscalandro said:

Installation doesn't seem too bad, I'm sure I can handle it. I'd love to put it on a switch though. 

The vacuum one still works but it's slow to come back down and if I'm getting out quick I have to wait for it. I'd like it to be part of the landing checklist to start putting it down on final. 

Chris

Responded to your PM.  I include instructions to add a switch.  If your vacuum step is slow coming down, the spring or step may be binding.  As Mickey said, ours is a little slow coming down too, so a switch to get it down early may help.  I’ve toyed with tieing it to the gear up and down lights, but I don’t have it in me right now to formally add it to our approved data.  

1 minute ago, chriscalandro said:

I have exactly the same tas with my step down!

I think Takair's website claims a 2-3 knot difference. I normally cruise at 138 KTS with my 3-blade Hartzell (normally aspirated & carb'd O-360). I get around 134-135 with the step down. 

• Like 1

Just now, chriscalandro said:

That's a good idea too, but it's just a one amp breaker for those incandescent lights I think. 

The step nominally uses about 1/4amp, it’s a very light and small motor, so should not be much of a problem.

1 hour ago, jakearey said:

Forgive the silly question -my 62 has a hand crank step. This is to switch from the vacuum step system to an electric system; right? Will it work in place of the hand crank system? 

thanks! 
JA  

According to his initial posting, it was designed to replace the hand crank on his 64 M20E.

And copied from his site: http://flightenhancements.com/index.html

Auto-Step Actuator
Electric Conversion for your Mooney Boarding Step!
FAA-PMA APPROVED!
Conversion kits for pneumatic or manual crank steps!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, drapo said:

According to his initial posting, it was designed to replace the hand crank on his 64 M20E.

And copied from his site: http://flightenhancements.com/index.html

Auto-Step Actuator
Electric Conversion for your Mooney Boarding Step!
FAA-PMA APPROVED!
Conversion kits for pneumatic or manual crank steps!

Nice thank you!! 

11 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Let’s get Jake back on the line....

Hey @jakearey...

Got an answer for your silly question... see Drapo’s post above... ^^^^

The collective power of MS is awesome! :)

Best regards,

-a-

Hey thanks, A! MS is a great place for silly answers!! 

- JA 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jakearey said:

Forgive the silly question -my 62 has a hand crank step. This is to switch from the vacuum step system to an electric system; right? Will it work in place of the hand crank system? 

thanks! 
JA  

I see the question has been answered, but thought I’d add to it.  We have two kits available.  The crank retrofit is actually slightly less expensive.  Both are available on our web site, just select the one you are looking for.  

• Thanks 1

I try to avoid selling in the main forums, but if you look up our last post under the vender forums, there is still a way to get a better price.  Hint: “Supporters” of Mooneyspace get a small discount as my thanks to Mooneyspace.  The discount offsets a small donation you make to the forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I installed Takair's kit on my 67F last month,  very straight forward, very well made kit, arrived quickly, and you will be amazed at the small size. You will need 2 people for a few minutes, you will be twisted around in the hole. I wired mine to the beacon. I think I have 4 hours on the install, still a final adjustment and safety wire turnbuckle left, still working on radio install so no power. 

BIG HINTcover the top edge of your access hole or you will scrape your head(I use 1/2 inch pipe foam insulation)   

• Like 2

Took the hand crank stuff out Put the electric stuff in. Works great

Belly beacon wire runs right near  by for wire hook up  Battery in back for power by fuse. 

Tail light wire runs there also IF one might have a Tailbeacon or Skybeacon as the ADSB has to be on from start up to parking.

Might just qualify as a minor change to the installation instructions :-)

@4 hrs install even with "thinking it out"    Hell hole edges are sharp!!!!!!!!

The D model has one small flange in the way of the motor that has to be notched a little for clearance. 

• Like 2