252 cylinder running hot with low EGT

xavierde

2 hours ago, xavierde said:

For that you need the JPI "box", right?

Yes/maybe... 

1. Is your 700 enabled for data memory? Some are some aren't.
  2. If it is enabled, it will likely have that port that @jaylw314 describes. Look for that port somewhere on the panel. It might be behind the panel.
  3. You'll need the JPI cable to connect to that port.
  4. To use the cable, you'll either need a laptop with a 9-pin serial port or the JPI box.
    1. If using a laptop, download the data from the JPI to the laptop, then upload the file to SavvyAnalysis.
    2. If using the JPI box, down load the data from the JPI to a USB stick, then transfer the file to your computer, then upload to Savvy Analysis.
  • Like 1

I had a similar problem with my JPI 700 on Not being able to download data. Get the serial number of it and give JPI tech support a call. One they can tell if it has ever been in for service or what the latest update was done to it. Second, they can walk you through a menu process to turn on the data monitoring, which might work. If not they can give you a RMA and price to send in and upgrade. Mine was around $350 which gave the latest software and a USB cable installed. Well worth it. I did have to send it in since it was an older unit and had never been upgraded.

Brian

• Like 1

And removed both upper and lower cowlings to have a look at the probes. Here are cylinders #2, 4 and 6. #2 seems to be set up at a different place and I believe the other cable is the OEM probe still showing on the old CHT gauge. 

IMG_1615.thumb.jpeg.c45dae2fc40a41428bf7a5bf9c4b2d77.jpeg

IMG_1614.thumb.jpeg.5a056df67e481615ce3728cc11daf6e0.jpeg

IMG_1613.thumb.jpeg.ddc855e18195fd07992f533a5d0d8b0d.jpeg 

Edited by xavierde

38 minutes ago, xavierde said:

And removed both upper and lower cowlings to have a look at the probes. Here are cylinders #2, 4 and 6. #2 seems to be set up at a different place and I believe the other cable is the OEM probe still showing on the old CHT gauge. 

IMG_1615.thumb.jpeg.c45dae2fc40a41428bf7a5bf9c4b2d77.jpeg

IMG_1614.thumb.jpeg.5a056df67e481615ce3728cc11daf6e0.jpeg

IMG_1613.thumb.jpeg.ddc855e18195fd07992f533a5d0d8b0d.jpeg 

Cylinder #2 is using a spark plug gasket thermocouple, they tend to over read, cylinders 4&6 are using standard JPI bayonet thermocouples.

Clarence

59 minutes ago, xavierde said:

I guess the only way to get rid of that would be to get a JPI that's primary, allowing me to remove that probe and get consistency across all 6 probes.

There is an improvement for the ship’s /JPI CHT challenge...

JPI makes a different probe that is worth considering...

Instead of putting the gasket probe under the spark plug... they have a smaller one that fits under the TC well hardware.  Placing it closer, but still a different T then the actual well...  more accurate, but still imperfect...

Or go primary engine monitor for a bunch more AMUs...

Also, their used to be a plug for the hand held mike there? Next to the JPI data socket...

The regular nuts on the instrument panel can be fancied up by using some acorn nuts...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, xavierde said:

I guess the only way to get rid of that would be to get a JPI that's primary, allowing me to remove that probe and get consistency across all 6 probes.

This is the thermocouple Anthony is referring to.  It goes under the factory thermocouple.

Clarence 

6FB6216F-C267-4036-9E0E-B1E7FE957B49.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I wonder if all those CHTs aren't considered pretty high... but I'm comparing to my NA Lycoming IO360... Apples and oranges?

I've heard the same thing from a few J owners. My source for engine parameters is this article:

http://www.mooneypilots.com/mapalog/M20K252_evaluation_report.htm

I'm still learning to run this engine properly though so I might be wrong to trust these recommendations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xavierde said:

I've heard the same thing from a few J owners. My source for engine parameters is this article:

http://www.mooneypilots.com/mapalog/M20K252_evaluation_report.htm

I'm still learning to run this engine properly though so I might be wrong to trust these recommendations.

This is exactly the document I used and had printed out and on the seat next to me when I picked up my 252 and flew it home for the first time. Then I installed a good engine monitor, an EDM900.  I also attended the APS class. That and talking to M20K pilots here on MooneySpace who have a lot of turbo Mooney experience, changed my technique. 

I don't believe that document is a great way to manage the engine in a 252.

• Like 1