252 cylinder running hot with low EGT

xavierde

On a long cross-country yesterday, I noticed cylinder #2 with a CHT of around 430/435˚ F when the others are between 385/400. I was cruising at 28"/2500 RPM, RoP (13.7gph) at 7,500ft.

That seems high to me and the EGT of this cylinder was at c. 1485 which was one of the lowest across cylinders. So I wonder if this is a probe issue or an blocked injector which would make this cylinder leaner...

Any thoughts from fellow turbo owners?

Thank you!

X,

great opportunity to download and post data into savvy.com...

Expect when CHTs change without seeing a corresponding EGT change.... it may be a seal in and around the cowling engine area...

Check if everything is aligning properly... and not folding backwards or folding out of the way...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

#2 is in the back and tends to run hot. But that is too hot.  I like the answers so far, I would look for a problem with the probe or the baffling, its a long way to go to get back to #2 and cool it.  I would check the plugs and the magnetos too though, another way a cylinder runs hotter than normal is to have only one plug firing.  A simple mag check should tell you.  

#2 is in the back and tends to run hot. But that is too hot.  I like the answers so far, I would look for a problem with the probe or the baffling, its a long way to go to get back to #2 and cool it.  I would check the plugs and the magnetos too though, another way a cylinder runs hotter than normal is to have only one plug firing.  A simple mag check should tell you.  

Wouldn’t a cyl with just one plug firing run cooler because the net effect is the same as retarding the timing and the egts would go up because of less complete combustion; more un used energy out the tail pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 10/26/2019 at 6:23 PM, carusoam said:

X,

great opportunity to download and post data into savvy.com...

Expect when CHTs change without seeing a corresponding EGT change.... it may be a seal in and around the cowling engine area...

Check if everything is aligning properly... and not folding backwards or folding out of the way...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Great idea. I need to get the necessary cables first. I didn't get any upon buying this plane.

4 minutes ago, carusoam said:

X,

Cable and serial device for JPI download are available on the JPI website...

They can also be assembled from internet parts if you have a deep technical desire...

Best regards,

-a-

Yes, I ordered these but it seems that their software is going to need an old Windows running laptop... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, xavierde said:

Yes, I ordered these but it seems that their software is going to need an old Windows running laptop... 

Don’t fall for that... 

ordinary new cheap windows machines work pretty good... :)

I grab one from one of the kids in my house... they have a four year upgrade cycle... jr. high. Sr. High. College....

Best regards,

-a-

32 minutes ago, xavierde said:

You don't need their software. Just download the file to a USB stick and then upload it to SavvyAnalysis. Create a free account and upload and view the files online. You  only need their software and an old Windows machine to run it on, if you want to view the files local on your computer. 

On 10/26/2019 at 8:21 PM, jlunseth said:

Is #2 in the back on a 252? On a 201 #2 is left front.

On 10/26/2019 at 8:21 PM, jlunseth said:

Strange, I had a problem with a misfire in a #1 Cyl harness and #1 ran cooler though with higher EGTs 

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

You don't need their software. Just download the file to a USB stick and then upload it to SavvyAnalysis. Create a free account and upload and view the files online. You  only need their software and an old Windows machine to run it on, if you want to view the files local on your computer. 

hey wait....

X,

Which JPI engine monitor do you have?

As gsxr just pointed out... some JPIs are easier than others to get the data downloaded from... some are memory stick able...

My 700 series is all wired through the back to a panel plug that looks like a headphone jack...

Best regards,

-a-

jk,

expect that the Continental counts cylinders from the back... five and six are up front... six is pilot side...

My #5 hides behind the alternator faring and has challenges getting enough air to keep it as cool as the other five...

X,

Have you met JL yet?

There are a few guys that will write about Engine ops that are interesting to read... JL has written a couple of threads/discussions with others about K ops...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

hey wait....

X,

Which JPI engine monitor do you have?

As gsxr just pointed out... some JPIs are easier than others to get the data downloaded from... some are memory stick able...

My 700 series is all wired through the back to a panel plug that looks like a headphone jack...

Best regards,

-a-

It's a 700. I haven't seen any USB port and I'm not sure I located the jack for it but I'll have a look behind the panel next time I'm at the airport.

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

X,

Have you met JL yet?

There are a few guys that will write about Engine ops that are interesting to read... JL has written a couple of threads/discussions with others about K ops...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

I don't think I have yet but I read posts on MS and try to follow the guidelines of the MAPA article. It's a steep learning curve from a PA28 :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

For that you need the JPI "box", right?

1 minute ago, xavierde said:

It's a 700. I haven't seen any USB port and I'm not sure I located the jack for it but I'll have a look behind the panel next time I'm at the airport.

I don't recall the 700's having an option for a USB port, it ends up looking like one of those small circular power plugs on laptops.

11 minutes ago, xavierde said:

Could it be that hole on the left? Some placards would have been nice...

144510998_ScreenShot2019-10-28at11_37_35.thumb.png.397e93bb00caf2e5ba11c9349cc7a43e.png

No, it would be bigger than that.  The plug is probably 1/4" across, and has a central male pin.  The plug body is probably about 3/8" across.

From a previous thread:

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/27883-jpi-edm-700/?do=findComment&comment=461279