JPI EDM 900 / 930 Install

I currently have a JPI EDM 700 on my E.  It works flawlessly displaying CHT’s EGT’s volts, oil temps, GPH, and has the fuel totalizer on it. It is also links to my GPS to show fuel required, fuel remaining after arrival etc..  I’m actually very happy with it. 

Recently, my MP gauge went out and it got me to thinking a lot upgrading to the 900 or 930 and eliminating the MAP/FUEL and TACH along with the legacy gauge cluster.  
I was told by the shop that created my panel that upgrading would require all new sensors, probes and tank sensors in my long range bladders.  
I was quoted $14,000.00 for the JPI EDM900 and just shy of $16,000 for the 930, (PLUS PANEL WORK of another $1800.00.)  Basically, it’s the price of the unit plus $12K for install.
My question for the group is two fold and I’d appreciate feedback from those who have purchased and installed either of these units.

1) Is this a price in alignment with what others have paid?  Or, is it more reflective of the abundance of avionics work being done and the shops simply being able to set their price?

2) I’ve included a picture of my current panel.  For those of you who have the smaller 900, if I were to install it, would it be useful/readable located on the top, right side panel in landscape mode? Or, would it be best to eliminate the OBS on the left side panel and install it portrait next to the Aspens?

Looking at upgrading the 430W as well at the same time but that’s another discussion for another day. 

Thank you in advance for your input.

Bart Chilcott
N706WC
1965 M20E
Wichita Ks 

FD5AD65E-EE7D-4E01-B3F1-C92DF70F667D.jpeg

The avionics shops are busy right now. Talk to a local A&P to do the install. Depending on how much free time you have he might let you work with him. Personally I would change out all the old sensors and wiring but many go against JPI’s recommendations and just reuse what’s there. 

edit: with a 4 cylinder engine I would replace the obs with the 900 in portrait. 

Edited by MIm20c
  • Like 3

That price is crazy and I would not pay anybody that much  

I paid $3800 for my 900 and it took me (I am an A&P) 40 hours for a new install. The 900 will come with all new sensors which I would use. The additional cost are for new fuel hoses for the oil and fuel system components. 

I would do the install and have an IA that signed mine off if you wanted to bring the plane to AZ. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, spectre6573 said:

That price is crazy and I would not pay anybody that much  

I paid $3800 for my 900 and it took me (I am an A&P) 40 hours for a new install. The 900 will come with all new sensors which I would use. The additional cost are for new fuel hoses for the oil and fuel system components. 

I would do the install and have an IA that signed mine off if you wanted to bring the plane to AZ. 

Thank you for your reply Spectre.  I’m in the same thought as you as it being pricy.  However, you brought up an interesting point.  It took you 40 hours to install it.  If I calculate that out at $95.00 (std I think) shop rate X 40 hours.  That comes to $3800 labor plus the cost of the unit of $4000.00 equals $7800.00.  Roughly half what I was quoted.  Did you also have to install and calibrate new Fuel tank sensors?  Just curious what that might add to the complexity and time.  Also, did your 40 hours include removal of existing tach, Map, legacy gauges and new panel section?  Just trying to define the true time and labor cost. 

I recently had a JPI 900 installed and it cost me ~5k.  This included a new co-pilot panel; removal of RMI, LORAN, garwin cluster, MP and FF too;  new weight and balance whole lot of rewiring existing NAPA quality work...

I did have the CIES sensors installed as well.  Calbration was easy.  I actually redid the calibration work as the A&P insisted that the 26 gallon tank had 2 gallons unusable which led to fuel quantity mismatches. I ran a tank dry and calibrated it from zero. 

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

brian

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian E. said:

I recently had a JPI 900 installed and it cost me ~5k.  This included a new co-pilot panel; removal of RMI, LORAN, garwin cluster, MP and FF too;  new weight and balance whole lot of rewiring existing NAPA quality work...

I did have the CIES sensors installed as well.  Calbration was easy.  I actually redid the calibration work as the A&P insisted that the 26 gallon tank had 2 gallons unusable which led to fuel quantity mismatches. I ran a tank dry and calibrated it from zero. 

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

brian

Thanks Brian, Making sure I understand. Are you saying the total cost was 5K or was that just the install cost?

Did you also have to install and calibrate new Fuel tank sensors?
I had an EDM-930 installed a little over a year ago. I kept my factory senders since they were working well. They did have to be calibrated by draining the tanks and refilling in (IIRC) two gallon increments.

On the ground or in straight-and-level they are pretty darn accurate when compared against the totalizer which is dead-nuts on.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Whiskey Charlie said:

Thank you for your reply Spectre.  I’m in the same thought as you as it being pricy.  However, you brought up an interesting point.  It took you 40 hours to install it.  If I calculate that out at $95.00 (std I think) shop rate X 40 hours.  That comes to $3800 labor plus the cost of the unit of $4000.00 equals $7800.00.  Roughly half what I was quoted.  Did you also have to install and calibrate new Fuel tank sensors?  Just curious what that might add to the complexity and time.  Also, did your 40 hours include removal of existing tach, Map, legacy gauges and new panel section?  Just trying to define the true time and labor cost. 

It is my airplane so my ocd was high. This was for a complete remove off all the old gauges and blanking them off. Closing the holes on the firewall and the calibrating the fuel tanks as well. sometime went into the proper hose runs and placement so it was clean looking and reduced the amount of fittings and such. In your case, they can rerun all the same wires in the same locations as long as the first install was good and reduce the time a bit. If you can find an A&P to do it, it will probably be at least half the rate of a shop and work with him and learn some more about your airplane. 

you can go get online and read the JPi900 install manual if you are curious what goes all i to it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Inviting @Bob_Belville to the conversation...  M20E +JPI930

Best regards,

-a-

My 930 was installed along with a new panel in 2012. I was charged 36 hours which was $2700 in 2012. (The 930 cost $5295 at the time and there was about $200 in supplies etc. Installation included r&r and calibration of the fuel senders. Not the sender overhaul cost.)

2012-12-07_10-42-11_415.jpg

2012-12-03_14-07-25_787.jpg

• Like 2

Bart, That is WAY to high.I've installed 3- 900's in addition to mine, as well as countless 730/830's. They can eat up some time, but nothing near what they're wanting. 

I also just moved my 900 from where your RPM is, to my center stack above the radio (just because I could) It was plenty view able in either landscape or portrait on the right panel. 

• Like 1

I vote portrait mode 900 on the pilot side. That's what I did (because that's the only way it would fit!). Having it close to the pilot is important, which is why the factory eventually put engine instruments on the left. I'd move your AI gyro up and put the 900 above the throttle.

You can come demo mine if you wish. I replaced all of my old 700 sensors and sold the complete kit to offset my cost a bit. I regret not installing CiES senders at the same time, but they weren't quite finished at the time for Mooneys. It is a simple but tedious DIY-capable project if don't want to pay shop labor rates too. You can look at my installation too the next time I have my cowl off.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 11:29 AM, Whiskey Charlie said:

Recently, my MP gauge went out and it got me to thinking a lot...

Have you considered fixing the mp gauge?! I’d never pay 18k unless the thing is made of solid gold!

• Like 2

For me it goes like this....

First, it must be on the left side. It is the MOST used instrument in my panel, and second place isn't close.

Second, it needs to be in Landscape mode. At least with the 6 cylinder version, not all data is simultaneously deployed in Portrait mode, so Landscape is preferred for me.

If there's no room for Landscape mode on the left side, refer to the first rule.

• Like 2

I know this is about a EDM 900, but how does the layout on a EI CGR30P work for a 6 cyl?  I'm about to decide JPI vs EI and any input is appreciated.

Edited by tmo
clarification (layout)

4 hours ago, tmo said:

I know this is about a EDM 900, but how does the layout on a EI CGR30P work for a 6 cyl?  I'm about to decide JPI vs EI and any input is appreciated.

The EI is a really good instrument. But you'll need the pair, CGR30P and CGR30C to get full factory primary replacement. It takes up a little more space (half a 3" hole). And unless you find it on discount, the pair of EI instruments are a bit more expensive than the single EDM900.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

The EI is a really good instrument. But you'll need the pair, CGR30P and CGR30C to get full factory primary replacement. It takes up a little more space (half a 3" hole). And unless you find it on discount, the pair of EI instruments are a bit more expensive than the single EDM900.

I love my EI gauges. Zero failures as compared to having my JPI 900 sent back for a number of issues. I once considered moving over to the MVP-50 but the size and resolution of the display was different enough that I didn't make the switch. 

12 minutes ago, tmo said:

EI currently has a $1000 discount on the pair, so the price is basically a wash in the overall scheme of things...

Check out this thread. Just started.

Highly recommend @Jeev for an engine monitor. Beat everyone's price for me when I bought the EDM 900.

• Like 2