McRib is back, or what is the most ridiculous excuse you made to go flying

lotsofgadgets

As you might have heard, the McRib is back at McD's.  Unfortunately someone in Minnesota must have upset the folks at Mickey D's Corporate because they are absent from every store in Minnesota, except Worthington, MN.  So I just got back from a 1 hr flight from Minneapolis to Worthington in SW Minnesota just to have a McRib.  I guess its another version of the $100 hamburger.  

What crazy excuses have the rest of you come up with to go flying. 

• Like 5

I flew over an hour South to West Branch, MI one Summer Sunday evening to go to the Eddie Bauer outlet store. Little did I know that I had arrived about ten minutes too late before the store closed (I didn't realize it was a Sunday). That was a $100 nothing-burger and I felt like a fool. I would have rather have enjoyed a nice simulated ribmeat sandwich.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lotsofgadgets said:

As you might have heard, the McRib is back at McD's.  Unfortunately someone in Minnesota must have upset the folks at Mickey D's Corporate because they are absent from every store in Minnesota, except Worthington, MN.  So I just got back from a 1 hr flight from Minneapolis to Worthington in SW Minnesota just to have a McRib.  I guess its another version of the $100 hamburger.  

What crazy excuses have the rest of you come up with to go flying. 

They have McBeer in Germany.

• Like 2

I don't usually need an excuse, although I have used "I'm running low on altitude" to go get some.

As for the McRib, if MN wasn't so far, I'd visit several and thank them for not having that awful "sandwich"-thing! Then again, McD's is usually my last choice of necessity when travelling  and nothing else is around / open (although the fries are quite good).

2 hours ago, Unit74 said:

Wife told me to take the boys to the Little Rock zoo, which was about 40 min drive into the city. We flew an hour to the Memphis zoo instead. First she was mad, then thought I was brilliant and then angry she didn’t get to go. 

Now you reminded me of one!

We were living in the Denver area. There was a sculpture event in Ft Collins. About an hour to an hour and a half drive. Decided it would be fun to fly even though the time savings would be  about zero...  

...if everything worked out perfectly, which it didn't. On the way back home we ended up having to divert due to a fast moving line of thunderstorms, adding 4-5 hours to the trip. 

There is constantly about 4-8 cars in line at the mcdonalds in our small town.  24x7 best I can tell.   Every time I drive by I yell "That is not real food"   They can't afford it either in their pocket book or their waistline.  To follow suit the Walmart only has fried stuff in the walk by warmer POS thingy.

I just flew to New Hampshire from Phoenix because my map has white spots on it.

The weather was crap and the wife and I didn't want to make a bunch of short IFR hops. We were going to land in Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island and Connecticut, but we didn't. We will just have to go back again.

After all that I only got one new state. New Hampshire. We are going to do the southern states next year.

Oh wait, we stopped in Nashville on the way home. Two states! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

At $140/hour operating expenses you can see pretty quickly that the $100 hamburger no longer exists.  

Over a decade ago a friend of mine with a T310 said the only way he's flying to a $100 hamburger is if there's a McDonald's at the departure end of the runway.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, smwash02 said:

Mexico to get 'Mexican' Coke... in 125ml bottles (from a Sam's club of all places) and good tacos. For some reason you can only get .5L bottles here in the states.

You can get mexico coke in the Texas Sam's club.

18 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

You must be able to get it around here, most of the taco shops have it. 

I think there is an underground supply chain that caters to taco shops and such...

Last I saw they had the mexican trifecta of coke, fanta orange and sprite.  I think it was in the wooden case.

Hour and a half each way to go to this "must go to" place recommended by a non-flying friend. Turned out he was in awe of their make-your-own Bloody Mary bar. Not a real thing for a pilot. But at least the food was decent and it was on the beach, so it was not a total washout.