Another looking for CFI thread (KSLC)

msh9

Hey all, I'm new here! I'm part-way down the rabbit hole of purchasing a vintage M20 (no deposits yet just virtually tire kicking).

One item I still need to address are my insurance requirements. The prospective quotes I've received so far want between 5 and 10 hours of dual instruction (Falcon on the low end and Avemco on the high end). My problem is that while googling around has turned up lists of CFIs in lots of places there don't appear to be any near me (KSLC).

So my questions are:

• Does the collective here know of anyone near Salt Lake City that has M20C/E experience and can instruct?
  • If not, what have other people done in this situation? Call around to find a CFI that's willing to travel?
  • The aircraft that I'm looking at are in either Texas or California. Another option is taking some additional vacation when I go to finalize the purchase and do the training at the location I pick up the aircraft.

Anyway just looking from some opinions on how others got their initial training done when they first bought a Mooney. Thanks!

58 minutes ago, msh9 said:

The aircraft that I'm looking at are in either Texas or California. Another option is taking some additional vacation when I go to finalize the purchase and do the training at the location I pick up the aircraft.

That's what I did.  I bought mine near Dallas and flew it back to Ogden.  I was fortunate that the previous owner was a CFI.  He/we did the dual instruction over a couple of days and I took it home.  Then found a local CFI to work on landings because at 80 hours in C172's, they weren't pretty.  The local resource I had has now moved on to Montana...so can't help there.

msh 9,

I'm in the same situation here in central Washington.  I bought a 20C in California and thankfully a friend who has 500+ hours in the same model is willing to fly it here.  I'm looking around for a CFI near me who meets the insurance requirements and found this site: https://themooneyflyer.com/cfi.html  There's a few in Colorado who may be willing to travel to ya.  Good luck!

If anyone out there is a CFI with 25+ hrs in a M20C and willing to instruct 5 hrs at KYKM, PM me please!

Edited by Sandy58