Mooney down in Jefferson county, West Virginia

3 hours ago, MARZ said:

Curious as to how many here check for an audible stall warning during their pre-flight....... every time.

I check the pitot heat as well, regardless of whether I have filed IFR or not, and I test the A/P clutch/disconnect for my KAP 150 like it shows in the supplement.

Sure, all of that takes a little bit of extra time, but I hope I will find those problems on the ground rather than in the air.

• Like 1

I check the pitot heat as well, regardless of whether I have filed IFR or not, and I test the A/P clutch/disconnect for my KAP 150 like it shows in the supplement.
Sure, all of that takes a little bit of extra time, but I hope I will find those problems on the ground rather than in the air.

Just curious how do you check the pitot heat? I’m assuming you feel if it gets warm? How long does that take and how hot should it get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, tigers2007 said:

Just curious how do you check the pitot heat? I’m assuming you feel if it gets warm? How long does that take and how hot should it get?

Reach through the window on the pilot side and flip on the master. For me, that activates Pitot heat and my Nav/Strobes. (I leave both on all the time). Immediately go touch the pitot with your hand. If you don't do it quickly it will be hot enough to burn you. Then finish the walk around.

A side benefit of leaving the lights on... I'm much less likely to close the hangar and leave with the Master still on.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MARZ said:

Curious as to how many here check for an audible stall warning during their pre-flight....... every time.

It’s the last thing I do before reaching in the pilot's window to shut off the master.

Master on, lights and pitot heat on.

Check the landing light and cowl and nose gear.

Right wing, right Nav light,  right fuel tank, undercarriage and flight controls

Tail light, tail control surfaces and linkage.

Left wing, same as right plus stall horn

master off

check oil

fin

Edited by Shadrach
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

With my hand...if you want to get techy you could shoot it with an IR thermometer from the comfort of the pilots seat. It’s pretty much a binary device...either it works or it doesn’t.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

It’s the last thing I do before reaching in the pilot's window to shut off the master.

Master on, lights and pitot heat on.

check the landing light and cowl and nose gear.

Right wing, right Nav light,  right fuel tank, undercarriage and flight controls

Tail light, tail control surfaces and linkage.

Left wing, same as right plus stall horn

master off

check oil

fin

Uggh.  Feeling a little guilty.  O.K. I will start doing this again.  Got away from some of these checks on pre-flight.  Resolve to be “better”.  Thanks for reminder Ross.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tigers2007 said:

I do it just like Paul ( @gsxrpilot ) said and check it quickly as it gets hot fast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

When I first walk in the hangar, I take the pitot cover off and feel the temp.  I run the pitot heat for about 10 seconds when I do my initial in cabin checks.  By the time I get back to the pitot tube on my pre-flight, it's typically still warm to the touch compared to before.  I think that's safer than leaving it on and then touching it--eventually you're going to run your battery down or burn yourself...

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

When I first walk in the hangar, I take the pitot cover off and feel the temp.  I run the pitot heat for about 10 seconds when I do my initial in cabin checks.  By the time I get back to the pitot tube on my pre-flight, it's typically still warm to the touch compared to before.  I think that's safer than leaving it on and then touching it--eventually you're going to run your battery down or burn yourself...

Actually, you can effectively check the pitot heat in the cockpit.  Just switch on the heat an look for an almost immediate and distinct compass deflection.  If the pitot tube deflects the compass, there's literally no way the heating element isn't functional.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

Actually, you can effectively check the pitot heat in the cockpit.  Just switch on the heat an look for an almost immediate and distinct compass deflection.  If the pitot tube deflects the compass, there's literally no way the heating element isn't functional.

Many of us have ammeters or voltmeters, so it should be just as definitive to watch those while turning the pitot heat on.  But it's at least possible the current to the pitot tube is shorting out in a different direction without tripping the breaker--unlikely, yes, I know...

10 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

@Oldguy just out of interest how do you check your kap150 clutch, as we have the same thing.  

In your POH, in the Flight Supplement for the autopilot, there is a section on "Normal Procedures" (mine starts on page 13). Section IV, A, gives preflight steps. Number 5 under Manual Electric Trim is the actual clutch overpower check. You probably do the first 4 steps (gyros powered up, radio/avionics master on, elevator trim on, and press A/P test button). Now, just turn the page in the POH and do steps 5-10.

7 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I do every time. I check the fuel levels and sump the fuel every time as well, even when it has been locked up in my hangar and nobody has had access. Same pre-flight routine every time, skipping steps can and has ended tragically for many a pilot. 

I nearly always refill the fuel tanks before putting the airplane away, so checking the sumps before the next flight lets any water that may have been dispensed in the refueling settle out and hopefully show up at the sump.   So, yeah, I do this, too.

11 hours ago, MARZ said:

Became part of my pre-flight after I went sooo many landings without ever hearing it...

It would typically peep on short final in the bumps over a building...

My stall switch went in-op...

The O has an electronic b’n Betty... so the master gets turned on, flip the vane, hear the sound, turn off the switch... all through the pilot’s window.  Pretty easy to comply with... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Just my take from flying high performance planes with AOA and flying planes without. AOA is absolutely the best way to know what your wing is doing real-time. With that said, if you are upgrading your glass panel, you should spend the extra money to include AOA.

That being said, AOA does not supplant quality training. Power on and power off stalls both straight-ahead and a turn will help build that route memory. Additionally, I recommend you adopt a -0 rule for your final approach speeds. For my students, I hold them to -0/+5 rule. If they get slower than final turn or final airspeed, I expect an immediate correction. Precise flying is a must.

Bonus: of you are able, I highly recommend an advanced flying course. There are many out there, and they will help you explore the aerodynamic envolpe.

Fly Safe,
Safety Forum Mod

On 10/25/2019 at 12:59 PM, Skates97 said:

Cut that little piece of tape and put it on your ASI, clean stall speed x 1.404

20191025_095556.thumb.jpg.89d3dacf2f024d013e0ac9c162bfedef.jpg

This is what was suggested at Mooney Summit.  I originally didn’t think I’d do it.  I may be changing my mind.  Maneuvering speed is both a minimum and maximum speed.

-Seth

I lost a lot of respect with the The flight chops CFI at Oshkosh when he was doing multiple low approaches in that DC3 after blowing a cub during his run up into the antique and classic area. He said a ground marshal was a contributing cause for blowing the cub... whatever. 

The same CFI gained most of the lost respect back when I saw his Maneuvering speed video. I don’t understand the push back either. People still spin aircraft into the ground to their deaths. Let’s try not to do it!!

A little green and yellow experiment stall spin popped up on my YouTube feed yesterday. Same result... dead!

-Matt

2 hours ago, MB65E said:

I lost a lot of respect with the The flight chops CFI at Oshkosh when he was doing multiple low approaches in that DC3 after blowing a cub during his run up into the antique and classic area. He said a ground marshal was a contributing cause for blowing the cub... whatever. 

The same CFI gained most of the lost respect back when I saw his Maneuvering speed video. I don’t understand the push back either. People still spin aircraft into the ground to their deaths. Let’s try not to do it!!

A little green and yellow experiment stall spin popped up on my YouTube feed yesterday. Same result... dead!

-Matt

Oh my gosh that was hard to watch.

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

How does that tape work on glass?
A better idea is just add an auditory alert when speed drops below a user setting. Easy to do with glass, and while not accurate, could even be done with a portable using ground speed.

Tom

Looks like it's sticking to the glass pretty well.  :P  Need to see how well it holds up over time.

Personally, I find speeds under 100 mph without flaps to be uncomfortable and mushy, and in the pattern I stay at 90 mph with Takeoff Flaps until on final. 

• Like 1

I personally disagree with "TAPE/SPEED" koncept.

First of all because it's not because lack of speed. The whole matter is Angle of Attack.

Epitaf: "He did not know he was pulling the stalling lever." Wright Brother know that more than 100 years ago.

None- Yellow, Black, Pink, whatever Tape will tell you how far are you from critical AoA  in "accelerated" case where you load 

the Wings of your Bird wit a lot G. Example- abrupt steep turn to try to avoid the traffic, abrupt turn after motor failure.... whatever.

Simply it is pure Stick + sometimes Rudder issue ( For example Skidding Turn- Under Stress any of us sometimes make bad turns). 

Stick Force/Position is the cue.  Perception of that + proper instant Reactions when our Bird is departing from controller flight is what should by trained.

Just my opinion

P.s. sorry for my english

PPL only (ca 1000 hrs. PIC)

• Like 1