Movin' on up... <or> Help me spend money.

Trailboss

If you were upgrading from a J, which long body would you go to?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Thinking of moving up from a J-model, which long-body would you choose?

• Bravo
    • Ovation 2/3
    • Food is overrated, buy an Ovation!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/26/2019 at 02:41 AM

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

How much payload, and do you need to travel reliably though the winter months?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Payload hasn't shown to be an issue.  My J is ~930lbs useful, and I've never approached that.  Usually only two in the cabin, golf clubs and fuel.

Really looking at TKS - equipped airplanes for the winter.

51 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Buy the nicest, newest and fastest plane you can comfortably afford to pay for and maintain

Agreed, which is why the Bravo isn't a clear winner.  It's faster, but older; some are nicer, some need work; maybe it's a question of turbo or no?

4 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

Id say ovation. Same power as a bravo at 8 to 9k, and same speed if not faster on less fuel. 

Dont have a turbo to worry about either

8k - 9k is 3,000 AGL.  I'm usually in the 10-12k range on every flight.

2 minutes ago, Trailboss said:

Let's say $250,000.

For me it would be between a legacy bravo or ovation. I wouldnt want g1000. The current options offer so much like the g3x and gfc500. Then id take the ovation, but i might be biased.

If you're averse to the turbo, or at least the big Lycoming turbo in the Bravo, I'd say a FIKI Ovation would scratch the itch nicely. You'll get good performance into the mid teens. My preference would be a non-G1000 version that is or could be upgraded with whatever glass and autopilot you might fancy.

I've recently learned of some FIKI Eagles (M20S) that would be a great option if converted to the Screaming Eagle (310 hp).

A FIKI 252 or Encore would be a great choice as well.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Of everything I see out there,this would be my choice:

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/155264785/1997-mooney-m20m-bravo

Only issue I see here is the 430w. They have everything you need but not sure about indefinite support...

Also, I’m no aircraft appraiser but considering the 430’s and everything else, feels like there is some room in the price. Yes, those aspens aren’t cheap but neither are 750s and 650s.  Don’t want to be selling the equivalent of a KLN-94 to someone else if you want to get out of the plane in the next 3-4 years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Trailboss said:

Factors:  Based in Utah with frequent trips to West Coast, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Texas.

I’m biased, but I would go turbo/ Bravo based on flying the western mountains. If mostly flying below FLs and East of the Rockies,  than an Ovation would be a great choice.  I think most turbo pilots who fly over the Rockies and Sierras are pretty happy they have a turbo. 

• Like 1

Just my biased $0.02. I learned to fly in CO and have lots of time flying in the Wasatch range in UT. I've flown everything from 160 hp C172s to jets. If you plan on flying XC during the winter, the most capable plane gives you the most options.

A FIKI Bravo gets you in the FLs. I'm sure an Ovation would also be a good choice, but I don't have first-hand experience with them. I really like the climb rate a turbo gives me and I routinely fly between FL180-220.

That being said, you could totally rock any Mooney, it just depends on how flexible you want to be with your travel plans.

Fly Safe,
Safety Forum Mod

I loved my 1980 231’s eager climb from sea level right on up to the high teens, which made climbing over weather, bumps, and mountains very quick. Liked built-in O2, but refills were a pita. The turbo took management, easing the throttle in on takeoff, messing with cowl flaps, watching CHTs, and so forth. I live at 7 feet MSL, and it turned out that taking headwinds into account, most of my flying over the years didn’t take advantage of the turbocharger’s skills. I now have a 1999 M20S Screaming Eagle, and like the long body very much. Lots of leg room, baggage space, plenty of useful load, and 7+ hours of fuel. Found I really didn’t much miss the turbo on a recent trip from NC’s Atlantic Ocean to Oregon’s Pacific, as lower routes were fine even through the Rockies and Cascades. The plane seems very happy at 12,500’.. Book says it’ll go to 20K, though. Haven’t tried that.There’s plenty of power for high DAs, though, and the simplicity of flying this poor girl’s Ovation is astonishing. Just firewall the throttle and aim the pointy end up. No cowl flaps, no temperature worries, decent panel. I happy! :D

• Like 1

If your mission is set...

and 13k’ is as high as you go...

Go O3 powered O1,2, or 3...

Be looking for one with the Fiki already...

O1s and Eagles are like blank canvases... many are ready to have new instrument panels to be adorned with...

If you already use an O2 system... see if you can get the installed O system in your LB...

If you already use an oxygen system... seriously consider the Bravo....

we're still spending OPM, right?

Lets look at Early Acclaims... and get them dressed up appropriately...

• O2
  • Fiki
  • 310hp
  • thin bladed TopProp
  • If G1000... ADSB out, and Waas upgraded already... or have a plan...

Let’s take a look around Jimmy’s back yard... and see what’s just landed...

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/list/?pcid=17527&dlr=1

:)

My favorite engine today... TN’d IO550 with 310hp... JoeZ had one in his Acclaim... it rocked all the way into the flight levels... have your mechanic set the FF properly... 30gph seems to keep the cylinders cool in the climb... my favorite engine tomorrow will be a turbine... must do away with the Pb...  :)

The Continental uses the balanced curvy pipes on the intake... allowing for a wide range of power output LOP... One of these days, Lycoming will do that as well...

For comparison purposes only...  may I present...? (Start at the top of the thread, ignore José’s hose humor eh)

TT, and PPIs are all the rage... Best protection for your wallet, and next of kin...

PP thoughts only, not a plane sales guy... or mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

As Alex Stone said above, the turbo is no big deal whatsoever to manage. Plus with the bravo you have a Lycoming , which I am certainly partial to. On the other side of the coin, I know that the bravo engine is not as amenable to running lean of peak which is important to some.  Either way, based upon your stated mission and parameters, you probably can’t go wrong.   

• Like 1