Hangar repair ideas?

takair

I recently lost my hangar at my local airport and can’t stomach the rental rates for the local FBO hangars ($800/mth).  I ended up buying an old Port-a-Port at the airport near my work for a reasonable price with reasonable land lease rate, but the hangar has seen better days.  The airport has had a history of flooding (since improved) and as a result the base of the hangar is compromised.  Some of the vertical members are gone at the base.  I would like to reinforce these areas, at least for a few years until I replace the entire building.  The structure is 2” square tubing sittting on the original asphalt tie downs. The bottom horizontals are gone too, but they may not be required since the hangar is no longer portable.   There is an additional layer of asphalt within the hangar to help keep water out.

I was hoping that there were some pre-assembled sleeves for such a repair application, but have not come across anything for 2” tubing.  I prefer not to have to weld it, since I don’t want to peal back the sides (in fact, can’t access one side). Anyway, looking for some advice from those who have iron work or hacking experience.  There is a possibility that the location of the hangars will move, so it does not have to be a long term solution.  I bought to get my foot in the door and to keep a cover on the plane, so I just need to make it safe.  The worst spots are shored up with 2x4s today, and I suppose they can be made semi-permanent, but it seems a little too simple.  Also, need to get some tie downs on the hangar, as some are also compromised.  Any ideas to improve the situation?

FC753EAA-FF25-41D1-AAFD-D06DE58C68F0.jpeg.3283ae8ada676c042b0d76f1df8cde48.jpeg
C43AC989-FFE4-445F-81E1-3DBE85631618.jpeg.7df9a0651e9e22bd6db43f5f699f82da.jpeg

C396A9E8-2BF3-4211-B659-59A5F856CF03.jpeg.7b9e085420b11b67bda82265cb946777.jpeg

How long before the hangar move and how certain are you of it?

Do you know how to weld and do yo have a welding machine?

Find you local metal roofing supply warehouse they should have the 2" square tubing available and should come red primed.  Put an additional coat of paint on them.

Measure where your current verticals are and weld a short 12" piece on the long piece of tubing to line up with the verticals in the hangar.  Place the new horizontals tubes on the ground and use some jacks to lift slightly on the structure then weld (or drill and thorough bolt with 5/16" or 3/8" bolts) the 12" verticals on the new horizontals to the existing hangar verticals.  This should shore up the structure.  To provide additional anchors through the asphalt may be more challenging.  Maybe some heavy duty circus tent anchors driven though pre drilled holes in the new horizontals every 3 to 4 feet would give you enough down force.  You could use a hammer drill with the largest drill bit you can find to drill thorough the asphalt first to make driving the stakes easier.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

How long before the hangar move and how certain are you of it?

Do you know how to weld and do yo have a welding machine?

Find you local metal roofing supply warehouse they should have the 2" square tubing available and should come red primed.  Put an additional coat of paint on them.

Measure where your current verticals are and weld a short 12" piece on the long piece of tubing to line up with the verticals in the hangar.  Place the new horizontals tubes on the ground and use some jacks to lift slightly on the structure then weld (or drill and thorough bolt with 5/16" or 3/8" bolts) the 12" verticals on the new horizontals to the existing hangar verticals.  This should shore up the structure.  To provide additional anchors through the asphalt may be more challenging.  Maybe some heavy duty circus tent anchors driven though pre drilled holes in the new horizontals every 3 to 4 feet would give you enough down force.  You could use a hammer drill with the largest drill bit you can find to drill thorough the asphalt first to make driving the stakes easier.

Not sure if they will move, but it is a rumor.  Welding, haven’t done any in years, but this may be a good excuse to renew the skills.  Thanks for the ideas.  This is certainly an option...I suppose the right way.  Perhaps 2x4s to get me through winter and spool up to do this next summer.

8 hours ago, Yetti said:

Posthole digger some 4x4 woodposts and some sacrete.  Through bolt to the steel.   Or you could pour a post, embed some steel and through bolt.

The pictures don’t show well, but that is all tarmac, so I don’t think post hole digger will get through.  There is a shallow trench for sachets and through bolting may work.   This may be the short term solution.  

You might need a pick to start.   If it was real concrete, I would have suggested weld up some square tubing with flanges, then Hilti gun some bolts in.   Or masonary bit and lead anchors with carriage bolts.    Looks like there is enough space at the door that you could also just dig the loose stuff out and a couple of bags of sacrete then use the L anchors like you use on a house slab for the wall sills.   Then metal tube with flanges and through bolt to the old stuff.

Back in the day...   community barn raising...

Today... online community hangar restoration..! :)

A great excuse to buy some harbor freight welding equipment, and real safety eye and face protection to go with that...

Review the thread about getting an unintended sunburn from an unprotected UV source...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Back in the day...   community barn raising...

Today... online community hangar restoration..! :)

A great excuse to buy some harbor freight welding equipment, and real safety eye and face protection to go with that...

Review the thread about getting an unintended sunburn from an unprotected UV source...

Best regards,

-a-

The (new to me) self darkening welding hoods are wonderful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RLCarter said:

I've had mine for years and love it, a few years back I went with a 1.5x magnifying lens in it (reading glasses for you hood) :D

I may try that. I wear reading glasses. I have not played with my hood much yet.