Ipad Updating

So, I am calling on any ipad savvy folks.  I have an Ipad Pro 10.5 inch wifi + Cellular.  I use Garmin Pilot.  I usually wait to update to the new ios until ipad pilot news green light program says that everything checks out okay with Garmin Pilot and that it works okay with the new operating system.

My I-pad decided to update to 13.1.3 on its own last night in the middle of the night without asking if it was okay.  I have automatic updates turned off yet it still went and updated the ios.  Garmin has not finished doing their testing so I was going to wait but too late thanks to Apple thinking it knows what is good for me without asking.  Anyone have any ideas as to why it would do this?  Did I miss a switch or something to turn off?  I have read through some forums about this and some say just to put it in airplane mode at night.  But if I turn off automatic updates on the ipad in the settings area I really should not have to do this as well.  I am just curious if I am missing something.  I know it was asking me on a daily basis if I wanted to do the update and I kept saying no so maybe it just got frustrated and took it upon itself to do what it felt was good for me. :)

Thanks for listening and any advice.

Thanks for the information.  I did not get that message because my I-pad updated before they were done testing so no reason to send me the message. :)

I normally am not concerned because Garmin has never had a problem with any of the I-pad updates but recently Jeppesen's Mobile Flite Deck was not compatible with the previous update.

I typically update the phone on a different day than the iPad...

Things have gotten Uber complex over the years... not everything works perfectly with the updates...

Internet speeds are way up lately... so updating on demand seems pretty acceptable...

It is pretty easy to check if you have the automatic update turned on... Settings, update... slide button...

The I-devices are nearing the ability to be used as medical devices... something that you wouldn't want to update automatically... unknowingly...

If it doesn’t work as expected... send a message back to Apple... they need to know...

I haven’t sent a message to Apple yet... not even sure where to start...

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

I typically update the phone on a different day than the iPad...

Things have gotten Uber complex over the years... not everything works perfectly with the updates...

Internet speeds are way up lately... so updating on demand seems pretty acceptable...

It is pretty easy to check if you have the automatic update turned on... Settings, update... slide button...

The I-devices are nearing the ability to be used as medical devices... something that you wouldn't want to update automatically... unknowingly...

If it doesn’t work as expected... send a message back to Apple... they need to know...

I haven’t sent a message to Apple yet... not even sure where to start...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks.  The slide button to automatic updates is turned off yet it still updated on its own.  I have a message on the Apple Forum Community right now but no one has responded.  It is really not that big of a deal other than I have an issue with computer devices taking on a sort of AI and doing things when I have clearly stated I do not want them to be done.  Apple seems to be the main offender.  They feel they know what is right for you and your device and do it without asking.  My android phone is now getting to be that way with Google. :(

• Like 1

I had one of those update questions come up and almost pushed the wrong button.  I don't remember the exact verbiage, but I thought it was along the lines of Update Now, Update Later, and do not update.  The "Update Later" turned out to mean it would update later that night (or something along those lines).

Is it possible that's what happened to you?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I had one of those update questions come up and almost pushed the wrong button.  I don't remember the exact verbiage, but I thought it was along the lines of Update Now, Update Later, and do not update.  The "Update Later" turned out to mean it would update later that night (or something along those lines).

Is it possible that's what happened to you?

That is quite possible since it has been asking me that for days and I kept putting it off.  But the options were update now or update later.  There was no do not update option.  So even though I had the auto updates slider in the off position it still thought by me saying update later that I eventually wanted it to update.  That makes sense.  Thanks,

Well, where do you have automatic updates turned off? There are at least two places where you can do something like that.  One is in Settings>iTunes & Apps, there are a couple of buttons there, where you can turn off App updating, or Automatic Downloads of cell data.  The one that counts the most is in in Settings>General>Software Updates, where there is a menu item to enable or disable automatic updates. That one should be off.  I also keep the Automatic Downloads of cell data off in Settings>iTunes & App Store.  I don’t have a problem with my iPad downloading OS updates with those settings.  I just checked, Settings>General>Software Updates says I still have not downloaded 13.1.3 . I also usually keep Settings>Cellular Data off unless I have a reason to use the cell connection to download something.  If you leave it on and the iPad makes its own choice, you can wind up downloading too much data and blow through your monthly account limit. That would also prevent your iPad from using the cell connection to autodownload an OS update. Don’t know the answer for sure, I just know I don’t have the problem on my iPad.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jlunseth said:

Well, where do you have automatic updates turned off? There are at least two places where you can do something like that.  One is in Settings>iTunes & Apps, there are a couple of buttons there, where you can turn off App updating, or Automatic Downloads of cell data.  The one that counts the most is in in Settings>General>Software Updates, where there is a menu item to enable or disable automatic updates. That one should be off.  I also keep the Automatic Downloads of cell data off in Settings>iTunes & App Store.  I don’t have a problem with my iPad downloading OS updates with those settings.  I just checked, Settings>General>Software Updates says I still have not downloaded 13.1.3 . I also usually keep Settings>Cellular Data off unless I have a reason to use the cell connection to download something.  If you leave it on and the iPad makes its own choice, you can wind up downloading too much data and blow through your monthly account limit. That would also prevent your iPad from using the cell connection to autodownload an OS update. Don’t know the answer for sure, I just know I don’t have the problem on my iPad.

All of those switches are in the off position.  I double checked.  It is just a mystery I guess.

25 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

All of those switches are in the off position.  I double checked.  It is just a mystery I guess.

My guess is when the reminder popped up "install later" was fat fingered, we have 2 iPhones and 3 iPads and have never had that happen. We did have an issue a few years back after an update on my wife's phone, Apple decided that ALL 5 devices needed to be in sync, so anytime either phone would ring or recieve a txt all 5 would ring or alert.....was a real pain

I agree. I think you inadvertently pressed the "Install Later" button and it did so. I generally do not update my iPads unless there is a specific need to these days. Really not fond of the forced changes in functionality coupled with the Apple planned obsolescence program.

2 hours ago, Unit74 said:

I agree. I think you inadvertently pressed the "Install Later" button and it did so. I generally do not update my iPads unless there is a specific need to these days. Really not fond of the forced changes in functionality coupled with the Apple planned obsolescence program.

Me too, but I can adapt to forced changes in functionality, the trend that I despise and that has been going on as long as there has been a Microsoft, are those that enable spying on you and your data, and usually don’t tell you that is what they are for nor allow you a choice. Apple at least lets you lock most of it. Other platforms don’t. From where I sit, that’s what most updating is about now.  Disguising more invasive ways of tracking you and your data behind nifty appy thingies.

• Like 1