Hello, thank you, and a question about East Coast Mooney Repair Centers

Ricky_231

Hi - I'm new here. Also a new Mooney owner (1979 M20K 231, turboplus intercooler, merlin wastegate etc.). I bought the plane a few weeks ago in San Antonio, TX and left it there to get a new GTX-345 installed plus a few other goodies. 

First of all I wanted to say thank you to everyone on this forum - it already saved me a lot of money and grief. Here's where I found the shop I used for the pre-buy, things to be on the lookout for when buying a mooney, tips on engine/performance management on intercooled 231s, and a lot more. (Yes, I already donated a couple of bucks to help out the folks who keep it running! It's only fair).

I'll be bringing the plane back from Texas to Leesburg, VA in a week or so - and wanted to check with this group of extremely knowledgeable people where East Coast folks usually take their Mooneys for service around here. I heard of Cole Aviation in GA, Airmods in NJ, Freeway in MD. But really can't seem to find any good, definitive intel on any of them on the interwebs - are they all the same and I should just pick the closest to me?

Thanks all!

R

Welcome aboard @Ricky_231! It's always nice to hear about folks who have been helped by MS even though they have not posted.

@AGL Aviation, Tamara and Lynn Mace, are on MS to answer questions. They maintain lots of aircraft but I think Mooneys are their favorite. The Web Site includes info on shop rates and annual inspection costs.

https://aglaviation.com/agl-home 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! It seems AGL has quite the following - I'll be sure to check them out.

Any thoughts on interiors? There's a crack on the headliner that I'll have to take care of one of these days... nothing major but I can see it starting to bother me soon :-) I reached out to PlanePlastics but nothing so far.

Good luck with your new plane, Weber Aircraft Svc, in Lancaster Pa, KLNS, is a quality MSC, I’ve been using there services 30+ years. I’ve frequented Weber’s, Maxwells and Premier in Fla. Both Weber’s and D Maxwells are quality honest Mooney service centers 

welcome aboard, Ricky.

Great list of shops above...

See if @Seth can add one more in your area...

I was intent on getting my annual done next year @ @AGL Aviation...

But.... somebody wanted it even more than I did!   :)

There was an annual inspection auctioned off at the Mooney Summit...  I set my limit too low.

Will you be getting any Transition Training to get the most out of your new 2U plane?  Want a recommendation?

Best regards,

-a-

15 minutes ago, carusoam said:

welcome aboard, Ricky.

Great list of shops above...

See if @Seth can add one more in your area...

I was intent on getting my annual done next year @ @AGL Aviation...

But.... somebody wanted it even more than I did!   :)

There was an annual inspection auctioned off at the Mooney Summit...  I set my limit too low.

Will you be getting any Transition Training to get the most out of your new 2U plane?  Want a recommendation?

Best regards,

-a-

I have a CFI who's already started me on transition training in San Antonio and who'll fly back with me to Virginia for a couple of more hours of training - I figured it'd be good to have someone more experienced to tag along on my first long XC in the new plane. It helps that this particular CFI has a bunch of hours on that very plane - he used to instruct the previous owner :-)

That being said - it can't hurt to have a name or two up my sleeve once I send him back to Texas. Who did you have in mind?

I went through this exact route 18 months ago.  (Bought from AllAmerican, got my transition there, flew it back myself).  You have good recommendations on shops (I'm at Air-Mods which is 10 minutes away).  Only thing I'll add is that your first year is likely going to me more expensive than you thought.  It's human nature to start deferring items when you know the plane will go on the market.  Also, all the bits and pieces start adding up - safety gear, electric tug, tools, covers, chocks etc.  Easily ends up being $10k you didn't necessarily plan for.  (I'm guessing because I also don't keep thorough accounts - it'll ruin the experience of ownership :D).

4 minutes ago, pwnel said:

I went through this exact route 18 months ago.  (Bought from AllAmerican, got my transition there, flew it back myself).  You have good recommendations on shops (I'm at Air-Mods which is 10 minutes away).  Only thing I'll add is that your first year is likely going to me more expensive than you thought.  It's human nature to start deferring items when you know the plane will go on the market.  Also, all the bits and pieces start adding up - safety gear, electric tug, tools, covers, chocks etc.  Easily ends up being $10k you didn't necessarily plan for.  (I'm guessing because I also don't keep thorough accounts - it'll ruin the experience of ownership :D).

I got mine from a private seller, but he had bought it from AAA before that... small world with Mooneys I guess. I totally get what you're saying with the upfront cost of ownership - while I've been waiting for the new avionics to be installed, I started buying all the necessary items (and a few not that necessary, but fun, like new sunglasses :-), and boy do those bills stack up quickly... "luckily" there's no hangar space available at JYO for the next 5 years, otherwise you could probably add a few more dollars to the tab.

I was based in Leesburg for a bit and then Stafford.  

Will Wobbe is the resident expert Mooney CFI in Leesburg.  A couple others nearby but Will is right in Leesburg.  I did my IFR with him - highly recommended.

I went to AGL for some work recently and was very pleased.  Weber does excellent work but their schedule is full and the invoices match.  For on field general support - call Tim Foltz.  He will go to Leesburg.  Don't use the shop on the field.  Its a nightmare.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ricky_231 said:

I have a CFI who's already started me on transition training in San Antonio and who'll fly back with me to Virginia for a couple of more hours of training - I figured it'd be good to have someone more experienced to tag along on my first long XC in the new plane. It helps that this particular CFI has a bunch of hours on that very plane - he used to instruct the previous owner :-)

That being said - it can't hurt to have a name or two up my sleeve once I send him back to Texas. Who did you have in mind?

Bob Cabe was my TTer. Lives in the San Antonio area... Super professional + enjoyable for the days we flew together...

We brought my O from San Antonio back to NJ...encountered all kinds of weather, IMC, ice, and a runway/airport closure...

All the weirdness would have added to my stress level, none of it had anything to do with the plane...

Let me know if you need a phone number... it has been a decade since I got my O...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Cole did my prebuy and has performed all of my annuals (3).  Great guys with lots of Mooney specific knowledge.  The guy I bought 32Y from was impressed with Cole as well so he had a prebuy performed on the K he then purchased.  He also seems to be pleased with Joey. 

47 minutes ago, jwilcoxon78 said:

Cole did my prebuy and has performed all of my annuals (3).  Great guys with lots of Mooney specific knowledge.  The guy I bought 32Y from was impressed with Cole as well so he had a prebuy performed on the K he then purchased.  He also seems to be pleased with Joey. 

I did my pre-buy with Dugosh at Kerville - David there mentioned Cole and Freeway when I told him I was bringing the plane back to Virginia. 

12 hours ago, quik flite said:

Weber’s at KLNS is excellent also there is Lancaster avionics and sensenich propeller I don’t think it gets any better 

Very convenient - but you forgot to include Fiorentino's on your one-stop-shop list :-)