'64 E newer panel, what's the tilt?

So the KI300 issue I've been having may be related to having a tilted panel. I've been reading some threads, but I'm confused on exactly how I can determine the angle. Would calibrating a tilt app on my phone while its laying on the ground, then placing it up against the panel be accurate?  or is this stuff determined in flight or on jacks? 

BK is going to mechanically re-calibrate a new KI300 to account for a 4 degree tilt (that was the setting bias my last one had in it) to eliminate the error, but I wanted to first make sure thats the degree of error I need. 

Thanks for the help. 

Jon.  

_DSC0038.jpg

20191021_180453.jpg

Edited by J0nathan225

Try this tool. I bought one but ended up paying-it-done to have the avionics tech figure it all out.

Johnson Level & Tool and Tool 700 Magnetic Angle Locator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004T807/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zY8RDbEFJECH9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like someone redid yours to remove the tilt and the shotgun approach.

In your shoes I would not want to put the correction in the instruments but instead put a washer on the shock panel mounts to achieve true 0 degrees.

Take a flight and get straight and level -- what's your offset from 0 degrees?  That's your delta. Then measure your offset on the ground. Shim by the amount of delta you got in the air. Take it for a flight and do final tuning if needed. If you already know your offset from straight and level you could probably fix it in under an hour.

Check the maintenance manual - there’s a PDF here on Mooneyspace downloads section, and it’ll tell you how to level the aircraft on jacks. 

If it tells you to place a level on the seat rails for and aft for pitch leveling, there’s the place to lay your phone to zero the app for your project. 

Too many variables with the straight and level flight zeroing. 

The levelling point is the skin joint above the battery access door on the left side of the fuselage.  Place a digital level on this joint and note the angle, place the level on the face of the instrument panel and not the angle, ninety degrees from the skin joint is Zero. Forward tilt would normally be eight degrees, but yours may be different, your digital Aspen and KI300 should be adjustable to correct for the angle.

There is no need to jack and level the plane if you can do the mathematics.

Clarence

Delta airlines? I hated geometry ;)

These were the different settings on each device. Aspen is dead solid. 

So I should calibrate my phone on the ground, on a flat surface, then go fly a straight and level path and measure the tilt my phones level picks up during level flight? 

20191022_173856.jpg

Screenshot_20191023-054107_Gallery.jpg

41 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

The levelling point is the skin joint above the battery access door on the left side of the fuselage.  Place a digital level on this joint and note the angle, place the level on the face of the instrument panel and not the angle, ninety degrees from the skin joint is Zero. Forward tilt would normally be eight degrees, but yours may be different, your digital Aspen and KI300 should be adjustable to correct for the angle.

There is no need to jack and level the plane if you can do the mathematics.

Clarence

I agree with Clarence.  About 9 years ago, I had to replace the AI in my panel and the local avionics shop needed know the panel tilt to configure it.  I used the procedure Clarence describes (given who tole me about it, should not be surprising) and determined my panel tilt to be 8 degrees forward of vertical.  Avionics shop took it from there

The 65 M20C had a horizontal bend down the middle of the panel...

everything above the bend was on an angle... everything below the bend was 0° (One way or another...)

Modern Mooneys without the bend all have 0°

For instruments to read properly, and wear properly(?) their set-up needs to match the panel tilt... gyro instruments...

So... if your instruments come in 0° tilt, and you have a 0° panel... everything matches...

Of you don’t have a bend line in your instrument panel... expect a 0° tilt...

If you have a new one piece panel and the whole thing is on a 8° slant... make sure all your instruments know this...

Some genius had to decide on 8° to be a standard panel tilt... somewhere back in the 1930s...

Long bodies got a few extra degrees of attitude while on the ground...  making things a pain when setting up your AI on the ground...

Best regards,

-a-