Dynon/Trutrak/Avidyne Dealer in Reno, NV

27 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

This is a lot cheaper than I would guess - do I add this all up correctly - roughly 12-13k for those items in this response plus including the 2650 you said for autopilot?  (and that autopilot cost - that's installed?  But not including remove an old autopilot I presume).

The 2650 is just a guess for the Mooney right now as it hasn’t finished certification yet and their prices haven’t been released, that is the cost of the install kit for the 172. Install for the autopilot would be around 25 hours inc removal of old autopilot ($2750 labour) 

6 minutes ago, AvionicsGeek said:

The 2650 is just a guess for the Mooney right now as it hasn’t finished certification yet and their prices haven’t been released, that is the cost of the install kit for the 172. Install for the autopilot would be around 25 hours inc removal of old autopilot ($2750 labour) 

Right - that makes sense now - thanks!

E

4 hours ago, Baker Avionics said:

You can pretty much bet on a $25-30k parts and labor.  Use the Dynon ADS-B solution and sell the one you have currently.  That is the suggestion I would give.  Do it once and do it right.

what's advantage is there to using Dynon equipment over existing? 

looking at their website, purchasing a screen or 2,  a couple of interface boxes, backup batteries would seem to  get me everything I could want?

50 minutes ago, McMooney said:

what's advantage is there to using Dynon equipment over existing? 

looking at their website, purchasing a screen or 2,  a couple of interface boxes, backup batteries would seem to  get me everything I could want?

Well their engine monitoring system is pretty awesome, highly configurable and you can track trends etc. I would personally install their autopilot rather than a Trutrak not just due to saving money but the Dynon autopilot FD panel is a must have- so nice and quick to choose your AP modes, engage VNav etc- connect the Dynon to a certified GPS navigator and it’ll do full LNAV approaches on the autopilot and from what I’ve seen so far it does it very well! 
I personally would do Trig audio panels and radio (or Trig Nav/com) Rather than using the Dynon radio and intercom system, plus add an Avidyne IFD and it’ll be a beast of a system

15 hours ago, Baker Avionics said:

No, you would use your navigator for that as Dynon is not set up for and probably will not go that route as the price point will then be blown out of the water.

The KFC200 needs an attitude source, the KI256, and that is what I am asking about a rerplacement for.  Since the HDX is more like a G500 than a G5 and all that...  Would help menatally justifying a piecemeal approach, I for one don't see myself doing a "replace everything at once" upgrade.

15 hours ago, AvionicsGeek said:

Well their engine monitoring system is pretty awesome, highly configurable and you can track trends etc. I would personally install their autopilot rather than a Trutrak not just due to saving money but the Dynon autopilot FD panel is a must have- so nice and quick to choose your AP modes, engage VNav etc- connect the Dynon to a certified GPS navigator and it’ll do full LNAV approaches on the autopilot and from what I’ve seen so far it does it very well! 
I personally would do Trig audio panels and radio (or Trig Nav/com) Rather than using the Dynon radio and intercom system, plus add an Avidyne IFD and it’ll be a beast of a system

where can I read up on the autopilot?  you really think it'll be cheaper than the trutrak installed?

26 minutes ago, McMooney said:

where can I read up on the autopilot?  you really think it'll be cheaper than the trutrak installed?

As an add on yes, but of course you still need the HDX efis system installed to control the autopilot. The Trutrak works independently.  so you’d save money if you were already intending to modernize your instrument panel anyway

On 11/2/2019 at 7:50 PM, AvionicsGeek said:

Just out of curiosity, why wasn't this suggested in the earlier post? 

21 hours ago, AvionicsGeek said:

As an add on yes, but of course you still need the HDX efis system installed to control the autopilot. The Trutrak works independently.  so you’d save money if you were already intending to modernize your instrument panel anyway

I don't think it will be "Cheaper"  Maybe it will be a bit more, but if you go with the HDX AP, you get more functionality.  That's basically the only differences.  There is only a few things that the TruTrak would do independently from the EFIS and the Navigator would end up controlling on LPV and most vertical nav routes.  

On 11/3/2019 at 4:16 AM, tmo said:

The KFC200 needs an attitude source, the KI256, and that is what I am asking about a rerplacement for.  Since the HDX is more like a G500 than a G5 and all that...  Would help menatally justifying a piecemeal approach, I for one don't see myself doing a "replace everything at once" upgrade.

Fair, have you looked at the Aspens also?

6 hours ago, Baker Avionics said:

Fair, have you looked at the Aspens also?

Yes, I looked at Aspen.  And the "new" "King" stuff (KI-300 / KA310) and Aerovonics.  And the GFC500 ;-)

What I really need now is an engine monitor.  If Dynon would interface with the KFC200 maybe I could rationalize getting it for the engine monitoring features and finding the extra money by repeating "futureproofing" enough times.

As of now it looks like a EDM900 or CGR30 combo go in now, and I worry about "next steps" when I get to them...

17 hours ago, tmo said:

Yes, I looked at Aspen.  And the "new" "King" stuff (KI-300 / KA310) and Aerovonics.  And the GFC500 ;-)

What I really need now is an engine monitor.  If Dynon would interface with the KFC200 maybe I could rationalize getting it for the engine monitoring features and finding the extra money by repeating "futureproofing" enough times.

As of now it looks like a EDM900 or CGR30 combo go in now, and I worry about "next steps" when I get to them...

Why CGR-30 Combo and not the MVP-50?  Just curious.

7 hours ago, Baker Avionics said:

Why CGR-30 Combo and not the MVP-50?  Just curious.

I can fit a 3.125" device (or both, with any luck) in the left panel and I don't see how I could do it with a MVP-50 / EDM930.  Redoing the right panel / avionics rack would be a major undertaking which I don't think I have the guts to undertake at this time (although I probably should).  If I can fit two on the left side, which is likely, I could also do a EDM900, so I think it is down to those two.  I'll post a panel picture and ask for ideas later in the week, in a separate thread.

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 3:12 PM, aviatoreb said:

This is a lot cheaper than I would guess - do I add this all up correctly - roughly 12-13k for those items in this response plus including the 2650 you said for autopilot?  (and that autopilot cost - that's installed?  But not including remove an old autopilot I presume).

You do understand that for the engine monitoring also with the full system except the AP is about 14-16k for parts 

13 minutes ago, Baker Avionics said:

You do understand that for the engine monitoring also with the full system except the AP is about 14-16k for parts 

No - I don't understand - I am trying to wrap my head around what this costs. I have a modern engine monitor I like - the EDM830 and I don't see why I would want it removed to add an integrated dynon system.  It would be hard to convince me otherwise since besides extra expense, I do not understand why that would be an upgrade at all, and perhaps a downgrade in the sense that then it becomes more of a single point failure at least cost wise when something fails.

Ok that aside I would only be interested in Dynon w/o engine monitoring then.  So trying to understand what this costs.  Sometimes when I look and follow threads I come up with 25-30k.  And here it looking like 12-13k+2650=15-16k?  So I don't seem to have a solid idea.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

So I don't seem to have a solid idea.

I agree the pricing can be confusing. This chart helps a little. One issue with the Mooney panel is the factory gauges might interfere with the large screen pfd install. One could easily be talked into/forced into a primary gauge replacement for panel space alone. 

2 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

No - I don't understand - I am trying to wrap my head around what this costs. I have a modern engine monitor I like - the EDM830 and I don't see why I would want it removed to add an integrated dynon system.  It would be hard to convince me otherwise since besides extra expense, I do not understand why that would be an upgrade at all, and perhaps a downgrade in the sense that then it becomes more of a single point failure at least cost wise when something fails.

Ok that aside I would only be interested in Dynon w/o engine monitoring then.  So trying to understand what this costs.  Sometimes when I look and follow threads I come up with 25-30k.  And here it looking like 12-13k+2650=15-16k?  So I don't seem to have a solid idea.

The 10" HDX screen with AHRS, magnetometer, all the mounting trays and most of the harnesses, ADSB IN module plus backup batteries plus D10 backup with backup battery is just over $10k (+$499 for the A429 adaptor to connect an IFR navigator)  +a new panel if required. Some can get away with keeping their current panel and just cutting the access into it but most of the time we just recommend having a new panel cut. 

Plus STC cost of $2000

The Autopilot cost is just a guess ballpark atm as the prices haven't been released as its not certified yet. Comparing it to the C172 which is a 2 axis (It's not fair to compare it to the bonanza kit as thats a 3 axis autopilot) The C172 autopilot package is $2910

Plus Installation

So if you were perfectly happy with your current engine monitoring system (The JPI is a nice package in itself) and if you've already got a transponder sorted in your panel and you kept your radios etc etc. 

It would still be a good system as you could just dedicate all of the HDX screen area to PFD and mapping- plus with the autopilot and coupled with a Nav/Com/GPS navigator you'd still get full IFR approach capability with both ILS and LPV approaches. 

So for all described above its around $15,500 plus installation

12 hours ago, spectre6573 said:

Are you able to confirm that the NGT-9000 will talk with the HDX? 

At the moment I think the only thing the NGT9000 would be able to send the HDX is WAAS GPS position... The HDX doesn't have the same data format for traffic and weather that that transponder, or the GTX345 etc speak, so at the moment Dynons ADSB IN device is the only one capable of displaying traffic and weather on the HDX.

I would need to check on if the HDX can remote operate that transponder but I doubt it

On 11/7/2019 at 9:17 AM, AvionicsGeek said:

At the moment I think the only thing the NGT9000 would be able to send the HDX is WAAS GPS position... The HDX doesn't have the same data format for traffic and weather that that transponder, or the GTX345 etc speak, so at the moment Dynons ADSB IN device is the only one capable of displaying traffic and weather on the HDX.

I would need to check on if the HDX can remote operate that transponder but I doubt it

It cannot

On 11/7/2019 at 10:45 AM, aviatoreb said:

Just to muddy the water....   The back up Dynon D10A AI also has autopilot functions in it.   For the HDX install it is just a dummy AI speed and altitude.   Doubt that Dynon would get it certified for the AP or maybe in 10 years when they are done with other stuff.

That said the "engine motioning" is more than just the engine.   You can monitor the gear,  fuel levels, Landing light, trim, flaps and pretty much whatever you can think of.  As far as single point of failure.  Adding a 7" HDX screen and then 10" HDX adds redundancy that you don't currently have with a single engine monitor screen.   Now add in the Dynon D10 for flight instruments redundancy and you have triangulated your redundancy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully nobody is very superstitious because I did something today and hope I did not jinx us.  Today I bit the bullet and purchased the lifetime subscription for Seattle Avionics FlyQ software as well as charts and data for Dynon systems.

I really want this full system including autopilot for my M20F.   My fingers are crossed that I will be able to put that lifetime subscription to good use soon.

• Like 1

I got the email...

And thought of the early start-ups that needed the cash, they were not going to last very long... high risk of not getting your life-time reward...

On the other-hand... Seattle has a solid business, they have been selling the blue dot to everyone with an iPad...

I think you may be safe with this one... :)

Best regards,

-a-