Dynon/Trutrak/Avidyne Dealer in Reno, NV

Hi Mooney fans!

Im from Advanced Aviation Reno Inc and we are a dealership and install facility for Dynon certified, Trutrak autopilots, Avidyne, Trig Avionics, JPI and Surefly ignition systems! 

We love all Mooneys and we work on them all the time. We've been waiting on TruTrak finishing certification on the Mooney variant of their autopilots but after chatting today with our contact at Dynon, it seems highly likely that the Dynon autopilot for the HDX may be ready at the same time, if not before! (I presume TT and Dynon may have been working together?who knows) 

We can also do Aspen E5 units and G5's on request and the Dynon display with integrate nicely with the TT- the Dynon version will be quite a bit cheaper and the overall cost is way cheaper than a Garmin G3X setup, both in equipment cost and installation time.

So any Mooney work that needs doing (Avionics or mechanical) and you're in flying range of Reno give us a shout! Ask for me (Calum) and I can hook you up with a great avionics deal. We can give discounts on bundle deals like an Aspen and TT, or A dynon and Avidyne IFD

email: avionics.aari@gmail.com

facebook: @advancedaviationreno

We also have a website but I haven't got around to overhauling it yet: www.advancedaviationreno.com

• Like 3

On 10/22/2019 at 8:06 PM, AvionicsGeek said:

We love all Mooneys and we work on them all the time. We've been waiting on TruTrak finishing certification on the Mooney variant of their autopilots but after chatting today with our contact at Dynon, it seems highly likely that the Dynon autopilot for the HDX may be ready at the same time, if not before! (I presume TT and Dynon may have been working together?who knows) 

The Dynon A/P software is ready to go.  It would be all the servo mounts and flight testing that needs to occur.

On 10/22/2019 at 6:06 PM, AvionicsGeek said:

Hi Mooney fans!

Im from Advanced Aviation Reno Inc and we are a dealership and install facility for Dynon certified, Trutrak autopilots, Avidyne, Trig Avionics, JPI and Surefly ignition systems! 

We can also do Aspen E5 units and G5's on request and the Dynon display with integrate nicely with the TT- the Dynon version will be quite a bit cheaper and the overall cost is way cheaper than a Garmin G3X setup, both in equipment cost and installation time.

So any Mooney work that needs doing (Avionics or mechanical) and you're in flying range of Reno give us a shout! Ask for me (Calum) and I can hook you up with a great avionics deal. We can give discounts on bundle deals like an Aspen and TT, or A dynon and Avidyne IFD

We also have a website but I haven't got around to overhauling it yet: www.advancedaviationreno.com

I didn't see you listed as an Authorized Dynon Certified Installation Center on their website.  Welcome aboard, just haven't seen you listed on there.

52 minutes ago, Baker Avionics said:

Great! How many have you done so far?  They are a great system

We've lost count of the number of Avidyne navigators we've done. I've done a few of the HDX and autopilot installs in LSA and homebuilts, we're just lining up our first certified install customers now- but the Dynon equipment is nice to install, especially if we use our Autocad software to design a new panel layout and have a new instrument panel cut so it's all wired up on the bench ready to install in the aircraft! 

Also we're able to offer good Bundle deals on Aspen E5 with an Avidyne GPS navigator. (The Aspen E5 works great with the new TT software) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvionicsGeek said:

We've lost count of the number of Avidyne navigators we've done. I've done a few of the HDX and autopilot installs in LSA and homebuilts, we're just lining up our first certified install customers now- but the Dynon equipment is nice to install, especially if we use our Autocad software to design a new panel layout and have a new instrument panel cut so it's all wired up on the bench ready to install in the aircraft! 

Also we're able to offer good Bundle deals on Aspen E5 with an Avidyne GPS navigator. (The Aspen E5 works great with the new TT software) 

So you like the Aspen as well?  Have you sold a lot of those this year as well?

1 hour ago, Baker Avionics said:

So you like the Aspen as well?  Have you sold a lot of those this year as well?

Yes we've done quite a lot of E5's this year, mostly as an Aspen/Avidyne/Trutrak bundle. They're great for people wanting just a little bit of glass and to remove their vacuum system. Pain in the ass to connect up to the likes of old century autopilots tho...

On 10/22/2019 at 6:06 PM, AvionicsGeek said:

Hi Mooney fans!

Welcome!

So the one thing that I need some clarity on in your post is the AP certification. Are you saying the Dynon is on the same track for AP certification for Mooney M20 aircraft? I understand that trutrak just realized that they didn’t add the other models to their submission to the FAA outside the E model and this will be another delay. 

What is the specifics on the Mooney installation?

53 minutes ago, spectre6573 said:

Welcome!

So the one thing that I need some clarity on in your post is the AP certification. Are you saying the Dynon is on the same track for AP certification for Mooney M20 aircraft? I understand that trutrak just realized that they didn’t add the other models to their submission to the FAA outside the E model and this will be another delay. 

What is the specifics on the Mooney installation?

Yes the impression I got from our Dynon guy was that their timetable was very similar. They’re getting a bunch of additional models added to the approval by piggybacking. I’ll be chatting to them again next week so I’ll try and get more specifics as to what stage they’re at and their timetable 

16 minutes ago, AvionicsGeek said:

Yes the impression I got from our Dynon guy was that their timetable was very similar. They’re getting a bunch of additional models added to the approval by piggybacking. I’ll be chatting to them again next week so I’ll try and get more specifics as to what stage they’re at and their timetable 

Awesome thanks!  It would be pretty nice to have a cleaner dash

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 11:14 AM, spectre6573 said:

Awesome thanks!  It would be pretty nice to have a cleaner dash

It’s a bit further off than I’d thought- end of Q2 next year- if you don’t wanna wait that long the dynon HDX will interface nicely with the trutrak but it’d be quite a bit more expensive than waiting until the dynon one is certified 

13 hours ago, AvionicsGeek said:

It’s a bit further off than I’d thought- end of Q2 next year- if you don’t wanna wait that long the dynon HDX will interface nicely with the trutrak but it’d be quite a bit more expensive than waiting until the dynon one is certified 

Awesome, that timeline is actually tracking with mine. 

2 hours ago, McMooney said:

how much is the most basic IFR hdx installed?

I have wass and am already adsb compliant.

would love to throw away the six pack and replace with glass

List prices You’d probably be looking at $8400 for the screen and install accessories, $475 for the IFR connectivity, $1860 if you wanted to add the engine monitoring, $150 ish, maybe less in network cables. Their ADSB in box is $795 and is the only way you can get traffic and weather on the displays I believe- it doesn’t take traffic and weather via a transponder or gps navigator. 
I’ve got a couple installs booked for the beginning of the year so I’ll know a more accurate estimate of hours but dynon estimate minimum 50 hours and I presume that’s for a basic 1 screen setup (so $5500) without engine monitoring. But if you had a new instrument panel cut out and wiring done on the bench it could probably be done quicker. The system goes in pretty easily- it depends how much of a PITA it is to weed out all the connecting wiring and how good the existing pitot static system is- also depends if you need wires run for a remote magnetometer- you won’t always need one if the built in one in the AHRS works well. 

and yes we would be able to beat list prices 

Edited by AvionicsGeek

17 minutes ago, AvionicsGeek said:

List prices You’d probably be looking at $8400 for the screen and install accessories, $475 for the IFR connectivity, $1860 if you wanted to add the engine monitoring, $150 ish, maybe less in network cables. Their ADSB in box is $795 and is the only way you can get traffic and weather on the displays I believe- it doesn’t take traffic and weather via a transponder or gps navigator. 
I’ve got a couple installs booked for the beginning of the year so I’ll know a more accurate estimate of hours but dynon estimate minimum 50 hours and I presume that’s for a basic 1 screen setup (so $5500) without engine monitoring. But if you had a new instrument panel cut out and wiring done on the bench it could probably be done quicker. The system goes in pretty easily- it depends how much of a PITA it is to weed out all the connecting wiring and how good the existing pitot static system is- also depends if you need wires run for a remote magnetometer- you won’t always need one if the built in one in the AHRS works well. 

How much you figure further the cost for autopilot when that is available / incl remove and old autopilot.

8 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

How much you figure further the cost for autopilot when that is available / incl remove and old autopilot.

I reckon it’ll be around the same as the 172 at $2650. It’ll go in quicker than the trutrak so figure 25 hours inc removal of old autopilot . 
oh plus I forgot the $2000 STC cost (non discountable) but that covers everything, if you got the screen now but waited on the engine monitoring and autopilot you wouldn’t have to pay the STC cost again 

On 10/31/2019 at 3:34 PM, McMooney said:

how much is the most basic IFR hdx installed?

I have wass and already adsb compliant.

would love to throw away the six pack and replace with glass

You can pretty much bet on a $25-30k parts and labor.  Use the Dynon ADS-B solution and sell the one you have currently.  That is the suggestion I would give.  Do it once and do it right.

On 10/31/2019 at 5:38 PM, AvionicsGeek said:

Why would you selectively install the HDX in that way?  You would be wasting valuable resources and limiting the amazing awareness you COULD have.  Its like buying a truck for $60k with full trailer hook-ups and a 5th wheel hitch in the back and you don't even own a 5th wheel and have never backed up a trailer before AND don't plan on buying one ever!  It just isn't mart to go that route, in my opinion.  This system comes ready to go and we have never done or suggested a partial installation like that because it just doesn't make sense at all.  Nothing will really be displayed on it if you keep your exiting units.  Think about it.  Why spend that money?  Sorry, rant is over now.  I apologize.  

Edited by Baker Avionics

1 hour ago, Baker Avionics said:

Why would you selectively install the HDX in that way?  You would be wasting valuable resources and limiting the amazing awareness you COULD have.  Its like buying a truck for $60k with full trailer hook-ups and a 5th wheel hitch in the back and you don't even own a 5th wheel and have never backed up a trailer before AND don't plan on buying one ever!  It just isn't mart to go that route, in my opinion.  This system comes ready to go and we have never done or suggested a partial installation like that because it just doesn't make sense at all.  Nothing will really be displayed on it if you keep your exiting units.  Think about it.  Why spend that money?  Sorry, rant is over now.  I apologize.  

I do agree, it is a lot smarter to just go for the full system straight out the gate- it is what I advise people to do. There are some though that prefer to do it gradually- add to it when they can afford it etc

On 10/31/2019 at 8:38 PM, AvionicsGeek said:

This is a lot cheaper than I would guess - do I add this all up correctly - roughly 12-13k for those items in this response plus including the 2650 you said for autopilot?  (and that autopilot cost - that's installed?  But not including remove an old autopilot I presume).