1966 Mooney M20C ..... Grass Strip

Jberg411

2 minutes ago, Jberg411 said:

Can an old Mooney holdup to grass strip?  Specifically the M20C?  If not, what older Mooney might have been designed to take this regular abuse from a new pilot? :D

If the grass is nice and smooth like asphalt you can land anything on it. Once the gopher holes start getting deep you're going to hit the prop. I'd say of the fields I used to go in with the Aeronca maybe 25% would have been ok for a Mooney.  And even then only when they were dry. Not after a rain.

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1
  • Like 1

I think the C model is the best suited Mooney for grass strip landings.  I have taken my F in to several grass strips without any issue.  If you really want to see what a C can do on grass, checkout these videos. https://www.youtube.com/user/piperpainter/videos

WARNING: Do not try strips like you see in those videos as a new pilot!

• Like 1

I'm based on what's listed as a 2600ft grass strip. I've stepped it off, and it's not that long at all. I know my paces cant be 200 off. Got my private there in my 65C. Rain isn't a problem for ours, as it is crowned pretty well. Extreme dry summers on the Arkansas/Texas border tend to make it a little bouncy.
I'm only at 400hrs, but have over 300 takeoff and landings there. I feel most comfortable there as opposed to big runways that make me nervous.
Agree with RobertGary, as long as it's a fairly smooth one. Shouldn't have a problem. I cross the threshold/barbed wire fence at 80mph with just me and never have to touch the brakes to turn off 3/4 of the way down.

Not an expert,
Only my PPL point of view

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My '63C was based on a 1/2 mile grass strip in the northern mid-west for 35 years.  It wasn't any worse for the wear, other than my first annual I spent a lot of time cleaning the black dirt out from the bottom of the floor plan when I took the belly panels off.  The flight control and landing gear rod ends were also extremely dirty, but that's just a lack of attention to detail from the mechanics who maintained the aircraft (in my opinion).  There were generally a few weeks in the spring when the strip was too soft to use from the frost going out and there were smoother strips around, but it wasn't any worse for the wear.  The tractor with the snow blower used to leave some tread marks in the snow that would chatter when rolling across them, but it's a solidly built airplane.  Really, using the aircraft during the winter with ice and snow on the runway was rougher than the summertime grass.  There were some fuel sealant patch jobs done over the years, but nothing out of the ordinary.  

I'd walk the strip before using it to evaluate its suitability, but a reasonably maintained grass strip shouldn't present any major issues.

Tom 

• Like 1

My 67C has been based on a grass strip for the past 6 years that I have owned it with no problems.  I think the grass is more forgiving than asphalt.  The only issue is that the tires will probably dry rot before you wear them out on grass. ;)

• Like 1

I landed a 2500 ft grass strip in Michigan's Uper Penninsula a couple months ago.  The trees there forgot to stop growing at 50 feet, by the way.  The FAA should do something aobuu that.  All I can say is if a ham-fisted pilot like me can do it, anyone can.  Just watch for holes and wet spots.  Hit those and you can have a bad day.

Actually, the older models are lighter and do not have the inner gear doors introduced on Js so they do fine on grass. IMO the prop strike risk is much greater when taxing away from the runway proper. Our short coupled wheel base can result in amplified nose bobbing if the surface is uneven. We trim full nose up and hold the yoke back while studying the path ahead of the nose wheel for any dips. 

Welcome aboard, Jberg.

I hope you found your answer...

There are many Mooneys living on grass fields... around the world.

The lightness of the M20C makes it most ideal...

Short runways and Mooneys... it really helps to have good training and practice... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...

my 63C lives on an 1800 ft grass strip.  Hit your numbers on final and if you are not lined up right don't be afraid to go around.  I use 70 mph on final and try to cross the threshold at 65.  stops in plenty of time.  If it is just me and half fuel I sometimes run out of nose up trim so have to hold an armload of up elevator but it is doable.

Mark